Register now to get rid of these ads!

Selling on the Hamb?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by crashfarmer, Jun 25, 2017.

1. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I'm thinking about posting some of my artwork for sale in the classifieds and I'm looking for a little advice on doing this. If you have sold items in the classifieds I'd appreciate your input upon the ins and outs of the process. I am set up to take credit card and bank card payments through Square. https://squareup.com/pos/payments?gclid=CNXwzbKs2dQCFQ6paQodqCgPCg&pcrid=194759906616&pdv=c&pkw=square+credit+card&pmt=e

I'm looking forward to your input on this, since I lost my job the end of November since my health has declined and my unemployment has run out things are getting pretty lean around here. I do have a couple of employers wanting to put me into a truck since the know how good of a driver I am but my wife hates the idea and she's afraid that I'll die and cause death or injury to others behind the wheel of a truck due to my health. I'm afraid that I'll flunk another DOT physical anyway. I've been trying to run the Farmer's Market circuit around here without much financial success. Most of the time I get to here how talented I am, good for the head and not for the pocketbook. Saturday I had a really impressed art student fawning over my art and asking me, an old truck driver, for pointers, lol. I've done a couple of craft shows with a much better outcome but they cost money to attend and are usually a good distance away. I took a big gamble with the last of my gas in the tank of my pickup Saturday and almost the last of my cash to go over to a Farmer's Market in a touristy area. I didn't sell a thing of mine or my wife's crochet goods. My wife was mad that they wouldn't let her send any of her baked goods, they told her that they had three people that sold that kind of thing every week. Must have been a slow tourist day, I didn't see the people beside me selling much, from what I seen of their sales I'll bet they covered the fee and most of their gas money since they came from farther away than me.

Anyhow, I'm sorry that I've bored you with all of this crap. My wife has enough gas in her car to get us out to babysit our grandson today and attend another Farmer's Market Monday. Getting back into a truck is looking very attractive to me and I've got one employer begging me to come see him since he tells me that he is tired of all the novices ha has to put into trucks these days. I try to tell him I don't think it's a good idea but he says I can work part time and he’s confident that I'd get along OK. My wife is bugging me to apply for disability but that's for losers and looks like a dead end street for me.

Good advice is needed.

2. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

OK, this one I took over to the touristy town of covered bridges. It's my depiction of the Cedar Bridge that idiot arsonists keep burning down. It got a lot of admirers but no takers. I did post a photo of it on my Facebook page and an old friend that I haven't seen face to face since my 23 year old daughter was a baby loved it. She is in the process of buying it as soon as we work out the shipping and payment details. It's an image I created and transferred to a barnboard from an old barn that I'm in the process of tearing down.
    DSCF5208.JPG

kiwijeff, wraymen and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Squablow

Squablow

You'll have a lot better luck selling on a site like Etsy, that whole site is for things like that. Just be warned that it's a competitive market and there are a lot of talented artists who can churn out a lot of work and therefore sell relatively cheap. But if you're looking for a place to market art/craft type stuff, that'd be it.

haileyp1014 likes this.

4. If your health is not good there is no shame in applying for disability,it won't happen overnight but if you qualify take advantage of it,it's not for losers but people that are unable to work a job like they have most of their lives.

As for selling on the Hamb I have sold a few parts and a couple of cars.

You might think about doing a auction for a piece of your art work and see if there is enough interest that selling on the hamb would be viable option,you would need to clear it with Ryan about the auction idea. HRP

kiwijeff, crashfarmer and Mark Roby like this.
  5. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. I sell on E bay and for payments Pay pal is king. Buyers love it because it gives them great protection. Sellers also have protection IF they follow all payment policies and post online viewable tracking # into the payment transaction. If I tried to use any other payment method on E bay I might as well just close up shop because buyers will not use Square if they have to sign up to just make you a payment. they already KNOW & like how pay pal works for them.
    K jillions of online shoppers already use pay pal and likely thousands of ebay shoppers "might" already have an account at Square. that would be greatly cutting down your potential buyer base. How many of them would be looking for your kind of artwork. You MUST list using the most buyer friendly payment & shipping methods if you really want to have a chance of making sales.
    Lately online sales for anything other than necessities has really been slow. Money it tight right now.
    Good luck. Jimmie

6. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Try in the Misc. section.
    Just click on classified and look for misc.

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    crashfarmer and scrap metal 48 like this.
  7. ....start posting on the Friday art show if you haven't already, I've picked up some customers that way,...I find a lot of people think I'm a pretty good artist and they like my work but not that many wanna pay for it..... good luck whatever you do.
    ...show us some more of your work.

kiwijeff and crashfarmer like this.
  8. Crash farmer.I drove truck up in N.J 10 years and then another 10 down in Flordia before moving to East T.N. Due to all the jumping off the back of the trucks making deliveries I wore out the cartilage in both my ankles. I had 2 surgerys on the left one with a 2 failed total ankle replacements. Now I have to wear a brace on that leg. I still get around but slower and had to go out on disability and after all those years of working it pays crap. I live from check to check now so I know where you are coming from. I would go back to driving again but the old ankles just cant take it .It was good while it lasted. LOL.Bruce.

crashfarmer likes this.
  9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I might catch someone's eye at the Friday night art show but I by far sell the most
    Via Instagram and Facebook. Make sure you have a price clearly listed as well. You'd be surprised how many people think you've just spent all your money to sit around and show them things that aren't for purchase

crashfarmer likes this.
  10. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

start selling barn wood.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  11. Mr.Chevrolet.That old barn wood is really getting hot here in East Tn. now. Sad to say but a lot of the old barns are disappearing now. Bruce.

12. TVC

TVC

You really ought to be on FaceBook with work like that ! Post stories and information and anecdotal things about your art and life. Easily build a following who are interested in who you are and what you do with your art. You can post photos of your paintings and sell them on your page and also let folks know where your going to be selling and displaying the paintings as well.

You'd be pretty successful on FaceBook.

Attending antique and classic car shows and displaying /selling your work there would be beneficial as well. Most folks who attend these events are looking for something to bring home with them as a reminder, almost a souvenir I guess. Something like what you produce would fit in just right. Hand produced, personal, specific, well done, hang or display anywhere in the home or "Man Cave" . . . perfect ! Leave an area at the bottom of each barn wood piece for a calendar to be attached, display it in this state, and it would be a great addition a to any country-style kitchen. Contemporary "folk art" at it's best !

Luck !

13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah that's a good point as well, your art is pretty niche and as so will take a minute to find the best venue. Farmers markets probably are not it.

It's a rough road of throwing money away until you find the right venue but that's how it goes. You'd have a similar effect asking $2000 for a pines winterfront 32 grill at a craft fair. They'd think you were nuts. Take it to an early ford swap and it would be gone before you could let it off the truck

crashfarmer and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a search on Ebay for New England covered bridge paintings. It doesn't cost much to post one on there with a reserve.
    Post some of the appropriate ones on The Friday art show as suggested and maybe stick some on some other sites like Esty. I have a couple of friends who seem to sell a reasonable amount of jewelry on there but haven't checked the art. Main thing is to make sure that the "hand painted by the artist/seller is very visible as a lot of people want original art even if they can't buy the super fancy stuff.

crashfarmer likes this.
  15. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I've been reading through your responses this morning and I want to thank you all for taking the time to reply, please keep them coming, I can use all the good advice I can get right now.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah make it very blunt what the the price is and that it is an original. People figure if they can't see a price it's either not for sale or they can't afford it.

Also I had a bunch of paintings on canvas paper and had a lot of people about to pass on them thinking they were prints. Make sure they know they are original paintings not a print.

-also keep in mind the dude who says "oh you should totally spend all your money making a nice prints I bet they'd sell like crazy!" Will absolutely not buy a single one.

17. Squablow

Squablow

If you put them on eBay, either do a no reserve auction with the starting bid at the minimum you are willing to take, or pick a price and do a buy it now listing. No one bids on reserve price auctions. Ive sold close to a half million dollars worth of stuff on eBay. That, and learn what "key words" are and how to use them (sometimes referred to as "search words"). Very important on the internet.

Sent from my LG-M153 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app