Register now to get rid of these ads!

selling advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GARY?, Oct 9, 2006.

1. GARY?

GARY?

hi all, suggestion to all sellers.
    when you ship something insure it and pack it well. wait no, really flippping good. it seems the shippers out there are probably busting there humps already and aren't able to handle all our wonderful packages with kid gloves.

i sure like getting stuff in the mail. not the smashed stuff. or bills.

i just got a 97 in the mail, great carb except for the dent and crack in the bowl. obviously a fresh wound.
    on the other side i shipped a radiator to a fellow hamber only to have it show up with the filler smashed into the upper tank.

it's a shame to see good parts go down the shitter.
    even more grief when we have to deal with the shippers to get compensated for damages.

just trying to help out, corn boy

p.s. sorry if this is in the wrong spot

2. Da' Bomb

Da' Bomb

Good piece of advice. I get get a liittle pissed when something shows up hurt.
    Pat

3. squirrel

squirrel

when you pack the part, shake the box...if the part moves around inside the box when you shake it, then it's gonna get beat up on it's trip. make sure there's at least a couple inches of packing material on all sides of the part, between it and the box. Pack the box full of foam peanuts. save the peanuts you get and reuse them when you ship.

and tape a piece of paper with the "to" address on the part, in case it somehow sneaks out of the box

4. Ya gotta try to make it bullet proof. If its kinda heavy double the cardboard and tape tape tape.

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I've shipped out 1900 items in the past 3.5 years. 2 got broke, both were long peices of chrome trim...

if you can't hold it above your head and drop it on the floor you haven't packed it well enough. nothing should rattle. peanuts ain't enough since the item can shift and be up against the side of the box in no time with no protection.

if you pack poorly the shipper may not pay the insurance claim...

6. squirrel

squirrel

kind of depends on what it is, and how tightly you pack it, peanuts won't let light to medium weight parts move if there enough peanuts in the box. For heavy stuff you need something else.

7. Mojo

Mojo

Slightly off topic, but I know a guy who built an amazing 1/8th scale model drag car. Car was about 90% scratch built. He had it shipped to a model show. It was in a wood crate, with styrofoam cut out around the car to hold it exactly in place. When they opened it up on the other end, it was busted into 10-15 parts, and had foot prints all over the box. There's some real assholes out there...