Register now to get rid of these ads!

SELLERS remorse

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustdodger, Aug 10, 2010.

1. rustdodger

rustdodger

What is the thing(s) that potential buyers do that riles you up when you are selling a vehicle? A couple on my short list are when you are asking a fair price and someone wants to know if you will take less over the phone, maybe if they LOOK at the car they willsee it's worth what you are asking! And then there is the guy that will be here in fifteen minutes that you ase still looking for two hours later. My guess it you guys will have one or two to add to the list...

2. there is absolutely nothing that a potential buyer can do that riles me up. It's all those asshole looky-lou tire kicking, time wasting others that show up at my door that piss me off.

3. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

The callers that are waiting for their sister to get off work to give them a ride to look at the car (true story), the guys that offer 1/4 of the asking price after bashing the car, the guys that never show up, etc etc craigslist is the worst. The last car I sold I put it on ebay where I got probably less than I could have off CL or autotrader but the damn thing was GONE out of state and out of my hair.

Oh and the guys which is like all of them that don't change the title. Be sure to send in the change of ownership form immediately when you sell the car so you don't get stuck with parking tickets or registration. I know two guys that ended up having to pay $500 plus in parking ticket fines because the jackholes that bought the car never changed the title and stuck them.

I have a car I need to sell at the moment that I'm dreading the experience. It's the worst.

4. Fuel to burn

Fuel to burn

My favorite is when they ask if I'll take $XXX during the first phone call.
    I ask them "Are you making a binding cash offer before you have seen it?"
    That will usually slow them down.

I've dealt with a lot of nonsense, and when I was young, did all of those annoying things before I learned the ropes.

5. brad chevy

brad chevy

If I advertize the car for $10,000 and a guy drives 250 to look at it then offers me $9000,I know he has the money or he wouldn"t have came the distance pulling a trailer,so I will turn down the offer and he can go home pissed but there ain"t no need to get pissed yourself,as far as the I"ll be there ,thats 99%bullshit or the goodone I"ll be back,deposits are non-refundable so that takes care of most of the bullshiters,I have have even refused to sell the car to some buyers just because they are know-it-all smartass"s.

6. when you sell "as is" and they bitch and moan about every little ding, scratch et., like they wer looking for a new car. approx blue book is one thing, some some of these a-holes that offer you next to nothing because the economy sucks, i tell to beat it and don't call again.

7. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had a guy insist I had to take his offer over the phone. I said "Ok, hold the line while I get a pencil and paper to give you directions." "Ok, I'll hold." Oh shit, I never did check to see if he's still waiting! Oops...

Safariwagon and I were cruisin around in my Boss 302. We turned around in a tire store of "Mediterrainian" ownership. In his fucked up accent this guy says "I'll take this car...RIGHT NOW!" (I had FOR SALE signs in it for $6K) "Ok, the price is 6 grand." "No, NO, I give tirty five hundred RIGHT NOW!" "No thanks..." "NO! I BUY IT NOW! GET OUT!" "Forget it." NO! GET OUT! I BUY!!", and he reaches to open my door. "Fuck you..." He walks into the store quickly as if to get friends or whatever and we procede to do a nice smokey burnout in their lot as we left.

8. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Craigslist is dead to me. Fine if you have a garage sale or lawnmower for sale. But some of the weirdos I would prefer if they never knew I existed.

9. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

I must have a giant "Be Back Hole" at the end of my street!

Whenever somebody says "I'll be back" they must fall down this hole.
    I never never seem to see them again.

10. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

"I'll check with my wife".......................you'll NEVER see then again.:mad:

Frank

11. FANTASY FACTORY

FANTASY FACTORY

Question my rationale behind NON Refundable deposits.
    And tell me I CAN,T do it!

12. dprodder

dprodder

How about ebay bids being a fair estimate of actual value?

13. You guys have covered it pretty well. I have learned that the prospective buyer can tell/ask me whatever he wants, it wont change anything (including ownership of the vehicle), until I have received payment in full. Cash in hand.

14. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Interesting post....
    On selling....most PMO is when a buyer knit picks and picks and picks....and 1/2 hour goes by, and he is still thinking......Seriously, I usually say "Hey, if you want it buy it, or leave...."
    On buying...not as described. Yep Craigs List...recently went to look at a pair of tires that were described as "Good tread, lots of life left". I drove into a crappy area, and after the guy finally comes out of his trailer, (after his wife wearing only a shabby nighty, and yes oversized talks my leg off) shows me the tires.
    They were flat on crappy rims, and weren't worth BURNING....Geesh..........I didn't say a word. Just left...

15. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Same here...interested person says "will you take $xxx?" - I say "obviously not...the ad said $xxxx". My position is that if they want to haggle, come on over, sit down, show me you know what you're talking about. If you're a total dimbulb - then I'm probably not going to come down in price. If you seem to know what you're doing, then we can negotiate to a price that satisfies both of us. I don't do anything over the phone but clarify descriptions, and give directions. I don't want to hear about YOUR car, your EX-car or your financial difficulties.

I don't go out of my way to accommodate 'buyers' by driving the car over to where THEY are. My time is actually much more valuable than theirs (in my mind, of course).

LookieLoos drive me nuts, as do guys who are apparently just looking for someone to talk to about cars. Ya wanna talk hot rods? Stop over next time I'm building something and pick up a wrench.

I've gone on too long, it's early (0500 PDT) and I'm on my third cuppa.

dj

16. I've been selling a few old cars and trucks straight off farms, so most have been out in the open for 20+ years, and i've have alot of guys look at wrecks and say "it's got rust it the lowers" - it's a 70 year old truck cab for $300, of course it's got rust u dick!, i explained it on the phone!. Also get guys at swaps offering bullcrap money for stuff, -"will you take $40 for the 400 hot rod and chopper, magazines?" that are priced at $3 each- get stuffed. I goes both ways -some times i am a dick but most of the time i'm happy to deal- it's for sale because i need the cash, i just don't like itiots.

17. 666Irish

666Irish

I just sold my OT 1968 Thunderbird 429. Had it on E-bay and a small local ad. Had a guy hounding me to come look at it, but he was a second shifter, and wanted to come at 11:00 at night, or 5am. That wasn't happening. We finally found a time that worked for both of us, and it was an utter waste. I had the car priced well below the actual value to move it fast, and he was offering less than half of that. I left him to look at it for a few minutes and went inside. While there I checked my e-mail and saw that someone had clicked the 'buy it now' on e-bay.

Went back out and he offered another $100 (still less than half). I walked to the car, pulled the sale sign, and told him the car was sold, and that his offer would be a fucking joke....if it was funny. He was bitching up a storm while I was walking back in the house. I turned as I got to the door, called the dog over, and told him he had 30 seconds to clear the property before the Dog was given permission to remove him piece by piece. He decided it was time to go.

18. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

i dont think this is the case.. i thinks its more of how much one individual is willing to go out for something he "has to have" or the old bidding war getting the best of some one that has too little restraint:cool:
    JMO

19. VooDoo Child 56

VooDoo Child 56
    from Jersey

For sellers with stuff parked out front, PUT A PRICE IT! I don't want to call you to have you tell me some outragous number. If it is on the car and I think its in the zone we talk. If I don't like it I walk, simple. I think most cars with no prices at shows and on peoples lawn the seller is embarrased to show how out there they really are.

20. I worked with a guy who sold a car and left the registration and inspection stickers on the car, only trying to be a "nice guy". The new owner just slapped plates on it, never registered it. He was getting ticket after ticket in the mail, all sorts of threats of court action, you name it.

He eventually got it squared away and did have to go to court a few times.

Bob

21. Kerry67

Kerry67

What I don't like is that someone won't drive 30 minutes to look at an old car. Too far they say. Then when they get there, they point out every flaw on the car to you. I always tell them, it is my car, I know every flaw on it you don't have to point them out to me.

22. I prefer to part cars out rather than sell them as whole. I've had cars advertised in evilBay, CL, Special Interest Autos, local newspapers, etc. I'm prepared to deal with a certain amount of jerkoffs who can't be made to understand that a FIRM price is a FIRM price.

I have a standard rhetoric down pat. If anyone comes to see a car and I think they're yanking my chain, I tell them it does have a deposit on it, but they have 1st dibs if it falls through and I'll be glad to call them back.

The last couple I did sell were on CL and both went as smooth as silk, go figure. My wife even sold one from a local parking lot with a sign on it, the whole deal took 4 hours from the time she parked it and put the sign up.

Bob

23. Had a '47 Caddy for sale for $750.years ago. First guys says he'll take it and gives me $50.00. Comes back the next day and gives me $300. more.He never returns for the car. I him called numerous times, even talked to his father to no avail. Finally I put it back up for sale. A guy comes and gives me $100. deposit. I tell him the story of the first guy. He says, " that guy must be a jerk-off, if he comes back now, tell him to "F" off". He leaves and never comes back.
    Now I have $450. deposit money from two different guys; more than half what I wanted for the car.
    Eventually I sold the car to a third party for the asking price.
    Wish I had that Caddy to sell again!

24. R1FIGHTER

R1FIGHTER

What about the pushy sellers. Anyone in the detroit area ever go look at any of this guys listings? There easy to spot. http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/1887045067.html

A few years back the midget wouldn't let me leave. Was more of a a project that I wanted and he was convinced it was a driver.

back to the sellers... Ever have a guy try to right you out a check from a credit card company? I about pee'd my pants.

25. My favorite's are buyers that show up with a group..... whether it's family or friends, it's not going to end well. Like someone thinks they're putting on a class on "How to wheel & deal like a pro!"
    I had a guy in his 30's show up to buy an OT Firebird. He looked it over, commented on how nice/clean the car was, then promptly made a "serious" offer of half. I turned his offer down, to which his father says "He's not jerking you around! He HAS the money!" I told dad..... "No, he has HALF the money!"

junkmanjr likes this.
  26. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I was at the Long Beach Swap Meet when I had some a-hole told me to remove the sign, the car was sold. I gave him my address and left. The next day, he comes over with a brother/friend to look at the car. We go for a drive and come back. He hems and haws, so I put the car away and said "BYE!".

Same car, same swap meet. Another guy just sells his 427 '63 Galaxie and wants to buy my car. I figure to take it for one last ride but the flasher wire rubs against the braided oil pressure line, shorts, and cuts through the line. I call the guy to tell him I can't sell the car. He still wants it and says he will wait, but wants to add some changes which he will pay for. I fix everything and install a new carpet. The buyer "flakes' so now I'm pissed. I up the price $2K and my neighbor buys it.

My neighbor "Foosifys" the car and now has a $130K into it. The great thing is, when he goes for coffee, people that knew the car from before, tell him he ruined the car. It is a '65 Biscayne with a 454 and 6 speed.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  27. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

I hate guys that come to look at a car, but want to nose around everything else in the shop. Let me get this right, you came to look at a 61' Corvair Wagon, but now you want to know if i will sell my 97' Hog. That makes it pretty clear they are wasting my time! I try to meet at a different location, there are too many crooks just wanting to scan your shop/ other toys!

28. 61TBird

61TBird

Word of the Day!

I've sold cars through CL and have had Good Luck.
    So Far....

The best advice I can give any of you that use CL to sell stuff,create a "g-mail" account just for your CL ads.
    It's free,easy and it keeps your "personal" email "safe" from the scammers.

29. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Whenever I post anything on the 'Bay or CL I post numerous thumb nail pictures linking to large pictures that take up the entire computer screen. I take overall pictures of the items and close ups of all the flaws I can find. I also give very detailed written descriptions, again, listing all the flaws. I don't like being deceived and I don't hide anything. I've had sales where the guy will come out and complain because he didn't know there were parts missing or rust issues. I just tell them these were all listed along with pictures and if they don't want it fine, leave.

I had one ass on the 'Bay who bought an item, couldn't arrange to pick it up and then turned around and relisted the item two days later using my pictures and word for word description, only adding I that I misrepresented the item when I originally listed it. I immediately emailed the guy and told him to removed his ad, he didn't so he was reported to eBay. He finally yanked the ad and came to pick it up. He had the balls to ask if I had anything other parts for sale. I told him to go away. He's the only person I ever left a bad feedback for.

30. 61bone

61bone

Wether selling or buying, you don't get in my shop. I'll deal with you if you are in range. Make me an offer of more than 10% less and all you'll see is my ass headed back to the house. I'll be back gets a bye and I want to talk to my wife gets " you should have talked to her before you came, bye". I have something to sell so I'm not particularliy interested in yours, your buddies or your wifes PT cruiser.