Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Seeking Source For Old Style Front Shock Studs 35 3 Window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lewk, Aug 31, 2017.

1. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

I'm looking for a source for the front shock studs that bolt into the tapered factory shock mount holes in the perch pins. I've got a '35 ford 3 window with a '35 axle and wishbone and '40 perch pins. I've got old aftermarket shock towers but I don't have the rest of the kit for my aircraft shock conversion. I want just the studs, I don't want to have to buy a whole modern style kit.

Thanks in advance!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. alchemy

alchemy

Call Chassis Engineering and see if they have anything.

3. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

I think they only have the newer style where the lower mount attaches to the spring shackles. I want to attach to the tapered hole on the top of the perch pin for the factory friction shocks. Here are some pics off of someone else's car showing what I'm trying to do.[​IMG][​IMG]

4. alchemy

alchemy

Dude, I've got exactly what you are looking for in my 40's front perches, for the last 30 years, and I'm pretty sure they came from CE way back then. Is it worth a simple phone call to you? If they don't have them check Speedway Motors in their race car dept.

5. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Alchemy, thanks for you suggestions. I'll call Chassis Engineering Tuesday and see if they still have parts for the kit you bought. This is what they currently sell:
    [​IMG]

I went through the Speedway site again and didn't see what I'm after. They have this style:
    [​IMG]

I know this seems like a common part, but I have looked a lot and haven't found it.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  6. alchemy

alchemy

Speedway's race car parts used to have studs with a taper. Look in the race car section.

lewk likes this.
  7. lewk likes this.
  8. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

I'm searching their online catalogue rather than the paper books, but I'm just not seeing it. I might be being dense or overlooking something, but I've searched 187 pages of "shock", 7 pages of "shock stud", and 4 pages of "shock mount".
    I'd turn this down if I still had lathe access.
    [​IMG]

They have this Chevelle part:

[​IMG]

9. 42merc

42merc

The style you are looking for were used on after market Houdalle (sp.) tube shock kits.
    That's what I'm using on my '40.
    If you can't locate any, the perch taper could be drilled to 7/16" and an over the counter shock stud could be used.

lewk likes this.
  10. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

Hey Lewk I have been running that same set up on my 40 for 46 years we just drilled it out used a nut and bolt works fine.

lewk likes this.
  11. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Thanks for all the input guys. I've thought about just drilling them out, but the taper seems like such a good idea... If people have had good long term luck with drilling them, then I may just go that way.

12. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

I may take you up on that! I'll PM later!

13. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

I've done something similar on my 40. The perch bolts I used dont have enough offset to get the shocks off between the bottom stud and the axle drop. I'm trying to get 37-39 perch bolts, which will give me a lot more room, and then change the top stud to a threaded boss and bolt. I had the tapered bottom studs machined up, but really, a bolt would do the job, an maybe the way I go if I cant get the perch bolts.

Attached Files:

14. What about the shock bolts that come with some replacement shocks.