Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Seeking sellers opinions of Gateway Classic Cars Consignment procedure.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ford350, Feb 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ford350

ford350
    from Wi.

Hi All,
    I am considering consigning some cars to Gateway Classic Cars but I am very leary of their consignment form and all it's, slanted in their favor, stipulations and said procedures.
    Who of you has used or not used them to sell your car?

2. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Run as fast as you can.
    you should Google reviews or complaints for that company
    Interesting reading

lothiandon1940 and bobwop like this.
  3. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

Don't know about them but I see lots of consigned cars on ebay. They want stupid money for them. They price them hi so they can make a pile of money on them. What about your pile of money that your not getting because they have your car priced to high.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. ford350

ford350
    from Wi.

Thanks but I have done all that. Not finding "sellers".

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I'd already done that and posted it, but then I thought "why am I doing this guys homework for him?"

6. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Do you honestly think they treat the sellers better than the buyers?
    Let me know how that works out for you

7. ford350

ford350
    from Wi.

Wow, I did not realize how many jerks are on here.

8. ford350

ford350
    from Wi.

Wow am I in the wrong area....... no help here I see.
    I thought I was dealing with car guys.

9. They are real estate agents on wheels. What more do you need to know?

edit: No offence to all the realtors out there, just trying to put it in perspective.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    lothiandon1940 and bobg1951chevy like this.
  10. williebill

williebill

You are dealing with car guys, and they did help you, but you didn't like what they said.
    Sounds to me like you've been warned. Maybe these car folks are doing you a favor.

11. ford350

ford350
    from Wi.

You call this help??
    "Do you honestly think they treat the sellers better than the buyers?
    Let me know how that works out for you"
    Or this?
    "I'd already done that and posted it, but then I thought "why am I doing this guys homework for him?""

12. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Consign your car and then let us know how it went.

13. ford350

ford350
    from Wi.

I do not even want to answer that.
    Why do you have to fight my question?
    I am looking for some one that has used their service.

14. ford350

ford350
    from Wi.

Big Help!

15. ford350

ford350
    from Wi.

What I need to know is the answer to my question please.
    """""Who of you has used or not used them to sell your car?""""

16. I haven't use them.

ford350 likes this.
  17. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Haven't. Won't. If you do, let us know how it works out for you. For me, their reputation doesn't sound like the kind of place I want to do business with. If that doesn't bother you, good luck.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940, wraymen and bobwop like this.
  18. patterg2003

patterg2003

If there are concerns with listing the cars because of the terms then maybe the first instinct is correct if it does not feel right. They usually are. Perhaps if it is possible to get some T&C's from other resellers then there is something to compare with. Have the cars appraised. You know the values and could perhaps have someone help you sell them if they were to be listed on the HAMB, Hemmings & elsewhere that list classics.
    It is not uncommon to see a friend or a family member list a vehicle for sale. With the valuations it may be possible to get more return privately rather than going through a consignor to be clipped for the their fees and costs. The cars may sell quicker in the range of the appraisal pricing as opposed to bloated prices at a consignor. Going with the consignor is like betting against the house as they win and reading that T&C's that are unfair to the seller that drives your concern & inquiry.
    The best dollar the owner is going to get with a consignor is a wholesale value as the seller adds his mark ups that bring it up to the retail. If the car appraises at $50K then even if the consignor sells it for slightly more than appraised then it will be deeply discounted to the consignee with the return well below the $50K. If the car sells privately for a couple percents below the appraisal then the buyer gets a fair price and the owner gets better value for the car. If there are several cars then the waters may be tested with one and if successful then it may be better than Gateway. The accumulated money lost to a consignor for several vehicles may be a frightening number.
    Keep researching and maybe network with friends. There maybe someone willing to assist and some money shared with the friend so that it is possible to get the best return on the cars. I guess it all depends on the urgency to sell.
    Good luck with your sales.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    lothiandon1940 and ford350 like this.
  19. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Do a search on this forum for "Gateway" because there are already several threads on them here. I bought my '60 Edsel from them in 2015 and was very disappointed by their dishonesty. They told the 88 year old owner of my Edsel that they would keep $2500 and give him the rest but instead they sold it for $15,500 and gave him $10k which means they cheated him out of $3k. Also, they want a $1000 NON-REFUNDABLE deposit from people who can't come into their store in person. Does that sound honest to you? I dealt with their southern Illinois location near St. Louis. Also, do a search on BBB.com to read lots of horror stories on how they ripped people off.... :mad:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    lothiandon1940 and BLACK STUDE like this.
  20. j3harleys

j3harleys

They are car salesmen. Does not matter new, used, classic. They are car salesmen. I would rather sell for less money Than let somebody else do it. I have sold several cars on hot rod hot line with good results. I would try selling it yourself. JUST MY OPINION!! Good luck what ever you do.

ford350 likes this.
  21. You are "leary" of their form.....Follow your instincts....

lothiandon1940 and ford350 like this.
  22. WoodWardWilly

WoodWardWilly

I've been to Gateway just to browse and I thought prices were too high. I know the sellers were jacking their price in order to cover the consignment cost but I don't want to have to pay more for a car because of that. Craigslist is still the best and gets the most responses. I've also used online resellers like cars-on-line but only got 1 response in 6 months compared to Craigslist where I was getting 8-10 responses daily.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

ford350 likes this.
  23. What don't you understand that which people are telling you ? If you think that you are smarter than those who gave you advice, why did you ask ?

24. Use the Hamb classifieds and when the car sells join the alliance as a thank you for the exposure. HRP

25. wicarnut

wicarnut

Never did any business with them and don't know anybody that has, cannot answer you question. My only comment is, they have grown through the years into a very large, many location speciality car store, which tends to make one think, they must be making some people happy along the way. IMO, I think Alot of people don't want the hassle, take the time to sell themselves, buying also is time consuming, usually with some travel involved. As some have stated, check BBB in locations of stores, and trust your own feelings, if something feels wrong, listen to yourself.

Hnstray and ford350 like this.
  26. ford350

ford350
    from Wi.

Thanks, I have read your thread on other review sites.
    As I tried to tell one guy on here most of the reviews are from people trying to buy cars from Gateway and many are dissatisfied, the majority are OK with their purchase. The ones that are OK with the purchase seem to be the ones that are closer to a facility and can go look at the cars in person.
    I am looking for a seller or consignee for some opinions about their experience.

Hnstray likes this.
  27. tim troutman

tim troutman

club member sold car recently through gateway sat in there show room for allowed time did not sell.they they took it out but stayed on there website sold to france for more than they hoped to get gateway took care of all shipping they were very happy another friend parked car in show room didn't have room to store it put a price he didn't think it would ever sell for and it did

Hnstray and ford350 like this.
  28. oldolds

oldolds

Consignment dealers are the whores of the used car industry. If you buy from a dealer that owns the car, they have a certain responsibility to ensure the car is fit for the road and they also do not want to give you money back or go to court over a car. A consignment dealer makes sure everybody involved signs a form stating something similar to this, "We don't own this car, we know nothing about it, we only bring the buyer and seller together". That gets them out of most problems. It puts the complaint on the owner who, if they are a private individual, has less responsibility to give you a good car. If you read the federal law, all private party auto sales are "as-is". Which is the legal term for you bought it you own it. So if you are selling a car and want to let them make money on you they might be ok.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  29. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I sold a 47 Aero Sedan through them 4-5 years ago and it went fine. I consigned to the Louisville location (actually 16 Miles north in IN.) I received the amount I originally ask for. Two friends consigned since then, one at the original location in Illinois and one to a newer location in Indianapolis. Both cars sold and the friends got their original asking amounts. I'd use them again.

ford350 and Hnstray like this.
  30. Gerrys

Gerrys

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.