Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods See the USA...in a Hemi-Powered Model A.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bass, Aug 4, 2010.

1. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

AWESOME! Now patiently waiting for day 2 coverage.:D

2. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

Cool pics hope your trip is a safe one.....looking forward to more pics thanks for posting.....

3. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Man....best of luck dude! GREAT idea!!

4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Well I'm just jealous..Envious too..I got a kick out of the pic of the paint running outta the letters, I think it looks neat! A side from the heat, wish I was there...

5. hammeredcoupe

hammeredcoupe
    from Tacoma,WA

Looking forward to meeting you and seeing your car at the Hotrodarama! Safe journey......

6. McFly

McFly

Thanks for the new desktop pic! : )

7. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Wow. Really looking forward to the rest of the trip and more great pics of that badass coupe.

8. Kustombuick

Kustombuick

Cool post, will keep watchin this for updates. Hope to meet you at Hot Rod-A-Rama this weekend. Be safe, Alan

9. Wow! I am jealous. Can't wait for day two and more great photos.....:cool:

10. 193257

Been out west several times in a HOT ROD. Ain't nothin like it!!!! Enjoy and be safe.

11. So cool doing trips like this. The year I drove out to roundup in my coupe was the best hot rod trip in my life. Its an awesome feeling to know that something you built can handle the trip with no major issues. Please keep the updates coming.

12. Road trips are great, thanks for sharing Bass. With photo's like the sunset shot can't wait to see what else you get up to.

13. 31whitey

31whitey

Some of the best the northern Rockies has to offer.

Sic trout water right off the highway ...Rock creek, Blackfoot.

Rad route for sure....

Safe arrivials.

14. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

Amazing!! Dude did you put exhaust/mufflers on it? Good old Bob Owens, I think he Just might be the nicest guy I know!!
    Jimmy White
    P.s. Have a safe trip!

15. way too cool, Brian!!!looking forward to hear all about the road....2 years i've been working on the topolino for a cross country trip....keep on posting, and take lots of pics!!! be safe!!!!!

16. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Day 2

The second day of my trip started out with me heading to the nearest auto parts store to buy a couple of quarts of oil, and to see if I could figure out why my steering had gotten so tight. I fought with it all last night...it felt like I was arm wrestling Popeye.

Turns out the locking cap on the adjuster screw was loose on the steering box, and apparently it had been tightening itself. I ran the adjuster out and topped the box off with gear oil, and it was immediately better. Somewhere around Loveland the tightness was miraculously gone, and it steered like I had power steering all of the sudden. Not sloppy, but minimal effort...Mucho better.

Thanks to Nick from Colorado Springs for stopping to check on me at the parts store.

Between Colorado Springs and Denver, I hit rain for the first time today. Shortly thereafter, I made it through Denver and stopped in Loveland for gas. Made a call to Custom Auto and talked to Jake....he said it would be no problem if I wanted to stop by.

When I showed up, Rex Rogers met me at the door. He gave me a tour of the shop and all the projects...and there is a lot going on there. I would love to show some photos of the Chet Herbert Beast III, but I promised I wouldn't. It was getting ready to be lettered by Alan Johnson, and trust me...it's beautiful. It should show well at Pebble Beach.

Another surprise at Custom Auto was that the Tommy Clausson Roadster is in the shop for some engine work. I had studied photos of the car many times, but had never seen it in person....that was a real treat. Thanks to Rex and Jake for taking the time to show me around....keep up the good work fellas.

The rest of the day was spent gobbling up more miles. The only other old car I saw on the road was a nice '53 Buick hardtop with what looked to be Skylark wires. I lost him somewhere in road construction and didn't see him again.

Coming into Casper, WY I hit rain again...but this time it was a serious storm. I had to wait it out under a gas station awning until I couldn't wait any more, and got back on the road. Rain-X and Gibbs Oil have been put to the test today.

Later on, I tried to stop and get gas at the "Kum & Go" in Buffalo, WY. They only had 89 octane though, so I "came and went." I don't think the citizens of Buffalo had ever seen a hot rod in their town before. I felt like the whole town stopped and stared as I was driving through. I might as well have been driving a flying saucer.

So now I'm in Billings, Montana for the night. The car is doing well. It's running a tad rich with the altitude up here, but not enough to foul the plugs. It still sounds and feels nice and crisp.

I was hoping to hook up with some of the Hamb members from Billings tonight, but I got here a little late, and I'm beat.

More updates soon. Thanks for all the encouragement and support.

-Brian

Colorado Springs, CO

[​IMG]

Tommy Clausson Roadster - Custom Auto - Loveland, CO

[​IMG]

Near Wheatland, WY

[​IMG]

Outside Casper, WY

[​IMG]

Parts Unknown

[​IMG]

Near Sheridan, WY

[​IMG]

Near Sheridan, WY

[​IMG]

Montana State Line

[​IMG]

17. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Fantastic photos.

18. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

great photos bass!

Ill make sure to stop by and say hello at the hotrodarama

19. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

20. cracker head

cracker head

You sure are purdy.

21. Bitchin' road trip and awesome photos, I can't wait to see your car in person.

22. Trad V8

Trad V8
    from Edinburgh

Road trips are what it is all about. And roat trips in one bitchin real deal hot rod - well it just doesn't get any better, and solo too! Respect.

23. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Rad!
    Have a save trip !
    Michael

24. slider's house of kustoms

slider's house of kustoms
    from idaho

if you end up in south western Idaho, i.e. Boise, pm me and i'll treat ya to dinner! great shots! love it!

25. 1. awesome effort, big haul by ones self, let alone documenting it for us along the way
    2. great to see you took a leaf from HRLC travel program capturing great photo's, especially with state signs
    3. keep safe, enjoy yourself, and despite the context of the day, remember you're gonna look back with great memories, so keep travelling forward.

Cheers,

Drewfus

26. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Just keeps getting better..............killer pics

good luck be safe

27. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Thanks for the ultra cool pics and for letting us tag along. Sounds and looks like a great trip so far.

28. Bass you nailed it when you built your coupe man,and I'm as jealous as hell of your road trip . Keep the pics etc coming !

29. Killer stuff and great pix!

30. steve53

steve53

hell yeah man! sweet pics and story.

<--- jealous :D