Register now to get rid of these ads!

?????????? Seatbelts ?????????????????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LANCE-SPEED, Sep 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. williebill

williebill

If some of the anti seatbelt folks aren't parents,then I might cut them a tiny bit of slack for their stupidity concerning their own safety.
    If they have kids,I'm astonished....

2. ems customer service

ems customer service

i missed the last one so i ahppy we are hving it today

3. 1950jax

1950jax
    BANNED

Do not make excuses for not wearing seat belts. Seat belts save lives. If your ride does not have them install them.

4. wvenfield

wvenfield

The second leading accidental cause is drowning. Who should we condemn? The person who once in awhile lets his kid go with him in his old car without belts or the person who lets his kid go swimming all summer?

How many of you sit by the side of the pool, river, lake, pond and watch your kid every second?

Should we perhaps remove your parental rights because you don't?

My sons weren't alone swimming across the Ohio river.

5. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Of course I didn't, I still don't BUT if I had trouble getting my kids to wear their helmet, or buckling up, or whatever, I'd take away the bike, or leave the kid at home, whatever was necessary to break the bad habit. As you know from your daughter you start them out young enough doing it the "safe" way, they will build the habit and it will be natural.

I drove a 17 passenger van full of kids for 8 years, thru high school and college. If a kid undid their seatbelt before I told them they could unbuckle they had to stay back from the field trip the next day, period. Trust me, only had to happen once or twice at the begining of the summer and EVERY kid learned from that one kids mistake. While this is an extreme example, my point is adults run the show and if a kid is not following the "rules" it's the adults responsibily to follow thru and respond accordingly.

When I was growing up if my Dad said something we obeyed cuz the consquences were rough. Kids really don't have rough consquences nowdays and it's a shame.

The answer would depend on the age of the child and of course as far as a young child goes YES, you sit by the pool and watch your child. It's your job, you are the parent, you do what is neccessary to make sure your children are safe at all times. You need to use the restroom your small child comes out of the pool and into the house. And yes, I'm the parent that would have a locked gate around my backyard pool. I also would not answer the phone or get distracted while bathing a small child either.

My GOD how did this get so far offic topic???

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  6. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

First off a All of the seat belt studies are Rigged, but nobody will challenge them, because it makes them sound anti safety like me, the same as how nobody will chalenge "sin taxes"

7. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

To celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), a 1959 Chevrolet Bel Air has been crashed into a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu—in a head-on frontal-offset test, at 40 mph.

The result is not only interesting viewing for our inner gawkers; it's a lesson in how far occupant protection has advanced over the years.

Watching the modern Malibu, the hood area deforms significantly but the passenger area looks almost entirely intact. Shift your eyes over to the 1959 Chevy and it’s the stuff of old highway-safety and shock-and-scare films, just melodrama and implied gore.
    There’s plenty of car gore though, with the Bel Air’s steering column slammed forward into the driver, the A-pillar completely mangled, and the dash pushed back to finish the punch. Trim pieces fly, shards of non-safety-glass fly forward, and…well, that’s probably enough of a spoiler.
    In case there’s any doubt based on the description above, according to safety engineers at the scene, the driver of the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu would likely have suffered slight knee injury. The driver of the 1959 Chevrolet Bel Air would have died instantly.
    TheCarConnection.com gives the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu a score of 9 out of 10 in safety; its crash-test results have been excellent, with top five-star results in frontal impact, side impact, and rollover categories from the federal government and top “good” ratings from the IIHS in frontal offset and side-impact categories, blemished only by a “marginal” score in rear impact. The 2010 Chevrolet Malibu continues without any structural or major feature changes, so TheCarConnection.com expects that its safety scores will carry over.
    Check out the video and see exactly how far we’ve come in five decades.
    <EMBED src=http://www.youtube.com/v/5CU-k0XmLUk&hl=en&fs=1& width=560 height=340 type=application/x-shockwave-flash allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true">
    2009 Chevrolet Malibu vs 1959 Chevrolet Bel Air

8. wvenfield

wvenfield

I don't really disagree with your last point. I'm also not going to tell the parent that gives their kid a swat on their behind that they are wrong either unlike many other people will do.

The bike helmet thing never bothered me. It's a law in the city up to a certain age and I bought them helmets.

I did many risky things as a kid. I wouldn't change a thing (except maybe the falling off the moving car thing). I wasn't sure if we were going to stop one night before the car slid into Lake Erie but it did. Makes for a good story now.

I knew my kids (especially the boys) would do risky things. That's life. I certainly did not feel strong about the bike helmet thing. (I busted a bike in half as a kid hitting a tree) so I didn't make much of a stink over it. Should have HHS come and taken them away?

Something to do. I still have time to kill.

9. wvenfield

wvenfield

Right, new cars are far safer for us to drive but yet we continue on with our old ones while telling others how they must live.

10. ems customer service

ems customer service

i belive the original question was on the legal status of belts in old cars

11. wvenfield

wvenfield

In WV you do not have to have belts if the car did not originally come with them.

12. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

While the moderators are away, the mice shall play.

At least the discussion is somewhat more civilized this time.

In Pottersville, the law is that you must wear seatbelts if you have an outstanding loan to the bank unless you have sufficient insurance to cover the loan. Otherwise, its your choice.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  13. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

They are around as they just deleted yet another thread that was just started about the 59 Impala vs new car crash.:rolleyes:

14. ems customer service

ems customer service

the crahs between to 59 chev and the malibie is intresting what saw was a rusty 59 chev. notive when the malibu get to the door bost on the 59 chev a cloud of brown dust appears i make case that there was a lot of rust in this 59 chev door piller and rocker panel were rust normally would be,

would we has hambers drive that 59 chev yup. but does it compare the change in saftey since 1959 not sure, brakes and tires are better, power brakes and and power steering help some to,

but the final outcome is we lost a 59 chevy.

15. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

NOTICE in your video the pass. side short and ALLL the rust dust and dirt that comes flying out the side and front of the 59 ...also the impact ,,it shears the wheel of and enters teh car that way,,thats a POS shit car pianted up to make you think its new ,,Pay attention...it is a rigged impact,,thus it is very easy to make it appear how ever you want..

New cars are NOT safer,,,yes they have things inside to help make them safer but you cannot compare 1959 to 2009

also not evryone was flying around like a jack ass on cell phones like they are now,,,go back and see how many accidents were in certain areas back then as apposed to now?

16. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

Like motorcycles,

Old cars ARE Death Traps when someone crashes into you on the street.

Harley riders take the wife for a ride on the back all the time,,,lots of them crash and the wife gets killed. It happens all the time. they also take kids for rides on harleys too, and they get killed too.

A kid or a wife on the back of a harley is not protected in a crash.

Up north here in michigan, Snowmobile drivers kill themselfs every winter in single vehicle accidents.

17. wvenfield

wvenfield

Nobody is calling anyone names. I certainly think everyone is entitled to their own opinions on things.

I'd quit if people decided they needed to make the discussion personal.

18. Knucklehead29

Knucklehead29

My apologies for starting the other thread. I searched, but for some reason didn't find this thread (even though it was at the top LOL). I guess I need to work on my thread searching skills. HA HA HA.

19. wvenfield

wvenfield

Yes they do. I see kids on the back of bikes all the time. My dad took me on the back of his. I've taken my kids on the back of mine.

Is it more dangerous than other modes of transportion? By multiples. Should we stop and arrest these parents and take their kids? (As I did as a kid, my kids always had helmets)

20. Deadbird

Deadbird

No reason for not having seat belts regardless of the year. That being said, haven't got mine installed yet. But that project is on the agenda for tomorrow. This post prompted me to get the job done.

21. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

One of the main problems with Old cars and Pickup trucks is that the frame DOES not go out to the rocker panels,,,most have what is know as a Ladder frame,,two straight frame rails, the 1959 chev had it even worse for this type of wreck due to the X type frame design.

on old cars, Most of the frront seat is OUT SIDE the frame rails.

That is why NEW trucks and SUV's have frames that go out to the rockers,,,this is much safer for the passangers.

cars from the 1970's on up had frames that went out to the rockers ( like on a Chevelle )

22. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Well, yes they are, but at least they are milder than in the past.

"bad parent"

"stupid"

"total FU#$$%$ING IDIOT"

"irresponsible"

"Y'all probably don't need to be reproducing anyway!"

"the car didn't come with seat belts , he didn't come with a brain"

23. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I think this has played out far enough...

Seatbelts are only required if they were installed from the factory... its still a FREE country and we each have a choice. You make yours... let someone else worry about making his or her own choice... until then get back out in the garage...

Tuck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.