Register now to get rid of these ads!

Seat for 55-6 GM????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flamedolds, Jan 10, 2008.

1. flamedolds

flamedolds

What are you guys using for seats in a 55-6 GM car -- I recently aquired a second car -- 1955 Pontiac 2dr post -- and someone has put the most hideous high back bucket bench seat in it -- soooooo gross -- I have found that finding the proper split back bench for a 2dr is really difficult -- I don't want a "modern" looking seat in it and I'd like to have the upholstery done by spring.
    What kinda seats are you running in yours? Photos? Or if you have one for sale and know of a way to ship it to Canada let me know!

2. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

55 to 57 chevy seats get expensive and are probably the same as the pontiac but you might be able to use a 55/56 olds or buick seats which should be easier to find,early 60s GM bench seats might look good in it too

3. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

you might want to PM "55Chieftian" he parted out a 1955 2dr post Pontiac this fall, I think he has a spare front seat. -Tad

4. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Nope, no original seat was in the parts car. I think it had a early 70's Chevelle/Malibu ? front bench seat that was split on the top half.
    Another hard deal is finding a good Pontiac seat with good trim panals . The plastic is real thin and is so brittle after 50 years they are usually broken .

5. Squablow

Squablow

I searched the world over for the correct split bench for my '57 project. Got one now, but damn, them fuckers are expensive. '57 front seats that need upholstery regularly sell for $700-$800.

My '57 currently has a '64 Dodge Dart front seat in it, temporarily. Fits in there pretty good and looks like it could be stock. Any late 50's or early 60's squared off split bench would look good.

Side note, I bought my '57 at a charity auction for $300, it had high back buckets in it too. The buckets ended up being from a '71 Dodge Challenger and I sold them on eBay to a restorer for $356, paid for the car with $ left over.

6. squirrel

squirrel

if you want buckets that look right, try early-mid 60s full size GM car. They are getting pricey too, but may be easier to find? I have a pair from a 64 pontiac in my 55 chevy, they look right at home.

7. flamedolds

flamedolds

I do have a line on a 52 Chev seat -- its in really good shape and from a 2dr and the price is right -- not sure of the fit though -- any input -- biggest thing for me is I hate to feel like I am sitting too low in a car -- and I don't wanna sit on phone books!!