Register now to get rid of these ads!

Seat belts- traditional or not?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fbama73, Sep 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fbama73

fbama73

Would seat belts be traditonal in a 1950's custom? I know they weren't mandated by law then, but was it a reasonably common occurrence for someone to install them?

Whatever the answer is, it will NOT have any effect on whether or not they go in my car. It will only affect whether or not I try to hide them.

Look at that- even had proper usage of affect/effect.

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

already current thread asking same basic question - search- staying alive is more traditional

3. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I just installed them in my car after looking at a few 1940s-50s car wreck pictures.. If im at a car show, i put them under the seat, if im driving, I wear them.

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Seat belts were popular in Customs in the autoramas throughout California since '54 or so. I believe they garnered extra points...not sure, I didn't 'show' 'til the '60s.

Also featured on the top points winners were tools, usually chromed; gas,water, and oil cans, upholstered spare, all inside fully upholstered trunks.

Look in most model car kits tooled in the late '50s thru '60s. You'll see seat belts molded right into the bench and bucket seats. Testamount that they were in the 'real ones'. (even Street Roadsters & Coupes had 'em, at least in the shows)

5. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I just put some in my car.. When I go to shows I hide them under the seat for a "cleaner" interior appearance. I wear them while driving.. but if another old car pulls up next to me I quickly take them off and hide them for tradition's sake ;)

6. Screw traditional in this respect. They've saved my life twice since 1976. I put them in cars and trucks that did not have them originally. They sell the ones with the chrome buckles that look like the belts in early '60s cars that look just fine in any '50s car.

7. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I wouldn't drive a car without them...................too many close calls.

8. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Traditional - get ejected from a car going 70 you die.

9. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

I put them in my 55 chevy, not so much for me but my then 8 year old daughter wanted to ride in the car and I wouldn't let her until I installed them. It just makes good sense to put them in and use them and as the rest have said, tuck them under the seats at a show for a cleaner look

10. Jimv

Jimv

Not traditional, but either is "vintage air"!I hide mine or line them up nicely when i park.
    JimV

11. 51delivery

51delivery

Wearing my seatbelt is my one good habit. I will always have belts in everything.

12. bryan6902

bryan6902

I needed them for the Wee-Man's car seat and I would be uncomfortable without them. Spend time in a race car or at any race track and you'll never not buckle-up again!

13. williebill

williebill

Like someone else said,lots of customs showed with seat belts.Maybe to some,it was just another addition to an interior,along with the phone,and TV,but I remember seeing a lot of pics with the belts laid out straight on the seats.More show points. Use them.

14. I'm even putting shoulder belts in my shoebox. I's just a different age out there today with the higher speeds, distracted drivers with the freaking texting bullshit, etc.

15. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Traditional ?? Who knows .

Smart ?? VERY !

I know MY ride will have them - probably 3-pointers also (for all 4 people) as well as LATCH hooks , for my little girl . When it comes to seat belts , I will not budge .

16. MercMark

MercMark

He's not asking if they're safe or if he should put them in, he IS putting them in... he's just asking if he should hide them at a show to look period correct.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.