Register now to get rid of these ads!

seat belts in your hot rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J Man, Nov 11, 2008.

?

Do you have seat belts in your old car?

Poll closed Jan 10, 2009.
  1. Yes

230 vote(s)
    65.2%
  2. No

40 vote(s)
    11.3%
  3. Some of them

23 vote(s)
    6.5%
  4. I will but have not yet

55 vote(s)
    15.6%
  5. They were there when I bought the car

5 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

I had the 5 point harness in mine when it was a racer..crotch..hips shoulders...but it had a roll bar then too.
    The doors are..as most of the car..very thin aluminum..

Being an older British sports car..it has the classic Brit safety steering column..
    A 5 foot long spear aimed directly at your heart..mounted at a perfect angle to skewer your chest to the seat back..

Been tossing this around for awhile..decapitated with just the thin winshield pillars..or doing a DocKaBob to the seat back...
    OR..playin' ejector dummy...
    Hmmmm...

2. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Um... I don't have seat belts in either of mine yet, but I'll probably throw some lap belts in there.

3. Leadsled RnR

Leadsled RnR
    from CO

It was one of the few things to calm my mothers nerves when I first got an old car. She still doesnt like it, but it makes her feel better I guess.

4. Ebert

Ebert

10-4. Guys, put down the macho thing and realize that you have more control to AVOID a bad deal if you have CONTROL over the situation. If, like an earlier post indicated, that you are strapping your ass into a ride that SMELLS deathwish anyway, a seatbelt probably won't help you when you get crushed by the poor quality or poor workmanship or by having no STEEL around you (I know I will take shit for that one). If you are driving a paper mache POS, I pray you will be alright because as long as there are people like my wife driving her Suburban around, we all are targets. Word.

5. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I run atleast one (and sometimes three) car seat(s) where ever I go.....Both of my rods have them.

6. 7"Chop

7"Chop
    from Denver

To the young guys that don’t think its cool…..don’t be a fool!

7. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They sure do!!!!-----My old neighbor,a CHP capt., when we lived in SoCal. always said, when arriving at a rollover scene, when the driver was found UNDER the car it was due to NOT wearing a seat belt!!:cool:

8. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

FUCK YES! Been turned out to way too many car accidents to ever consider not having them.
    Doc.

9. HotRod33

HotRod33

I have had them in my hotrods for over 20 years....my kid a 2 accidents in my 48 pickup and they help keep him from getting hurt......No he doesn't drive it anymore...........

10. yup, got belts in all of mine cept the dumptruck, it's gettin em though, ive "felt the glass" to damn many times (once , and yes thats enough) and i have to tell you the glass hurts .

11. FalconEddie1964

FalconEddie1964

Seat belts before it goes around the block. Had belts for this and it still hurt.

[​IMG]

12. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

Never thought to install a set untill someone posted a drivers ed vidio that he made his daughter watch before she got her licence.BOY,was that disturbing! When i saw the results from being tossed around it made me rethink a few things.I had got a set of never used outdated race belts.Fine for what i need just wont pass nhra tech.Now i drive with my 16 year old daughter and feel a little safer.As far as helmets go,I crashed pretty bad in 92 on a major hwy(lady wanted my spot more than i did i guess)and if it wasnt for my dot approved helmet i wouldnt be writing this today.Somtimes common sense isnt spare change.

13. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

Got 'em in all my old cars.

Used to cruise through tow/salvage yards for work years ago... never wore belts til I walked up to a car on the drivers side and looked through the side window. Three of the drivers front teeth were imbedded in the top of the leather wrapped steering wheel.

Saw autopsy photos of a guy whose chest hit the steering wheel in a low speed rear ender (his car hit the car in front of him). Not much damage to either car compared to the damage done to his chest and heart.

Been wearin' belts ever since.

Rich

14. 19Fordy

19Fordy

None in 40 Ford, but 51 Merc will have them.

15. MILNR

MILNR

Wouldn't drive a hot rod without them! First thing I did to the coupe was put in belts! You never know....

16. 54BOMB

54BOMB

I think scaring the crap out of a new driver might not be the best approach. We cant all be Sebastian Loeb but having some faith in your driving skills and knowledge of the rules of the road might go farther than terror, but in saying that Ive never tought a teenager to drive. ha ha. Seat belts , of course.

17. Only an idiot wouldn't have seatbelts in his/her car(s).

That's a stupid reason for not having seatbelts. Doesn't matter if you're going 15 or 50, they can keep your head from looking like cabbage.

18. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Yes, got lap belts in the A

Feel much safer now their fitted, it's a much better ride, we don't have to many staight roads where I live :D

19. LAROKE

LAROKE

I don't use belts in my old trucks . . . It's scary as hell, like riding in a school bus!

20. hotrod37

hotrod37
    from Indiana

When I finished my coupe, we had just had our first son and Indiana had a safety seat law. I called the State Police and asked if I needed them. The person I talked to said if I drove it, it better have them in it. So I installed them. I have always used them.
    Except it is a business coupe. When we had the second son (had an older daughter also), I took out the package tray and the boys used to sit in little chairs untill they got too big. Never got stopped.

Nosetime likes this.
  21. buikwag

buikwag
    1. Buick Nailheads

All my cars have belts, got to keep the grand children safe.

22. 54BOMB

54BOMB

That sounds dangerous. I kinda wished you had been stopped.

23. JEPPA

JEPPA

Well I haven't read the whole thread yet but have to say I'm putting belts in my 1958 Ford. I want my kids to enjoy the car and my wife would feel more comfortable if she was buckled in. Frankly I'd feel better aswell. There are to many cars now. Where I'm from there is a high amount of drivers without licsences or insurance. Very scary shit!

24. Aha!! That explains why my mom's '63 Tempest GT coupe had to have belts retrofitted. The anchors were in the floor from the factory. I remember we had to have belts put in to get it inspected back in the day.
    I balieve in them, use them all the time. However, I DON'T like the govmnt telling me I have to save myself.

25. Maybe some of these guys will get to meet my wife through her job rehabilitating brain injuries!?:D At least 50% of her clients had bike wrecks with no helmet or were NOT wearing seatbelts. I met one of them (car guy). He tells the tale of his face going through the drivers window of a young girls car, and the nightmares he has because of the look she had due to his face being ripped off and stuck right in front of her head.

26. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After reading all the threads, has it ever occured to you why ALL our school buses do not have seat belts installed???? There would be a whole bunch of happy kids alive today had they been belted in place in roll over & minor school bus accidents. Check out fatalities in transportation.gov. After asking my state speaker of the house about this, her reply to me was: Get in touch with Dept. of Transportation officials!!!
    Telling me that she was NOT that interested in preserving our most precious resouces-----OUR CHILDREN!!!--------------Don

27. Pickup Guy

Pickup Guy
    BANNED
    from USA

Still building my truck, but I already have bought seat belts, and installed mounting points for them...
    I bought my seats belts at the junk yard from a you-pick-it place. Got them out of a 2007 luxery car. Very nice belts, and match my interior great. It's a 3 point set, and works well with my bucket seats. Think I gave $20 for both of them, and just a good a new store bought.

Plan on getting my steering column there also... along with a few last items I need.

28. Lucky77

Lucky77

Wouldn't consider having a car without them. Hot rod or daily driver pickup.

29. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

3 point harnesses are on my Xmas list. I kissed a windshield at 55 MPH when I was younger. It sucks!!!