Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Searching for the "Malfunction"

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 6, 2013.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

2. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

SWEET!!!!
    And here all along I always thought Flintstone's Malfunction was putting the sabre tooth cat out and leaving the window open.....
    Sorry nothing of value to offer....but it is bitchin' and you have my sympathies.

3. catdad49

catdad49

This is a pretty unique car, hopefully someone will remember it or have more pics and info. Thanks for the post, Carp

4. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

Not sure on the history at all, but the car itself is sweet!! I had a 31 Chrysler coupe for a short while last year. Hopefully someone has some info on this rare bird.

5. pila38

pila38

No info on it, but I'm really digging the windshield. Is that stock to that body style?

6. Scott Liggett

Scott Liggett
    from nebraska

Mopar purists have been looking for this guy since 1967 so he can be properly flogged for sticking a "gulp" sbc in a Mopar! Sacrilege! Blasphemy!! Heretics!

Seriously, I love pics like this showing that true hot rodding back in the day was really all about cross breeding. Seems some of the uptight, my team is better than your team, brand loyalists have selected memories.

7. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

Don't bitch too much since many years ago I talked my buddy into putting a 426 hemi into his '62 'Vette.

8. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

Man that thing is Bitch! Now ranking with the Al Norton/Jack Shaw Chevy Model A...... and Joey knows how much I love that car!

9. Scott Liggett

Scott Liggett
    from nebraska

I'm sure it bolted right in with no mods too!!

10. Check with the resin model parts mfg. "Jimmy Flintstone". May be a relative.

11. catdad49

catdad49

Just found this pic from Bowling Green posted by enloe. Chrysler coupe with a cross rammed Mopar!

Attached Files:

12. flamingokid

flamingokid

I love that windshield!

13. autobilly

autobilly

I suspect that the name "Flintstone's Malfunction" may refer to the fact that Fred's feet couldn't touch the ground.
    Here's "Fred's Fueller".:D
    [​IMG]

14. Model T1

Model T1

[​IMG] This yeller coupe or one almost like it was built around 2000 in NW Florida by a friend with a body shop. Sold it to a woman around Orlando. Now????????

15. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

A friend has a similar body that was a old hotrod he found in a junkyard in the Dayton Ohio area years ago,do you know if it had any tail lights mounted in the panel below the trunk lid as the body my friend has I think had 50 Pontiac lights in it. I will probably see him saturday and find out what exactly it is as I am thinking its a 32 Chrysler or a 32 Dodge.

16. That coupe is a good solid body . Might have found it,s way back onto a restored chassis in which case it would be hard to find now. A lot can happen in 45 odd years.

17. And years later the 426 got pulled and sold as a "'Vette motor"! :rolleyes::D

18. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

It's amazing how many old drag race cars had names that became legendary through the years.

In many cases I was not even sure who owed the cars but I sure knew the names of them.

Jimbo

19. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Talked to my friend with the body today and its a 32 Dodge.

20. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Could you possibly get some pictures of it?

21. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I will try to get some pics of it and he told me the Dodge body is very close to the Chrysler body,the Dodge did not have the split windshield and was a little different where the quarter panel meets the rear fender but is the same basic body.

22. At first I thought of Dave Koffel, who was from the Akron area, and ran the Flintstone Flyer series of cars. I doubt that it's one of his, but maybe a "team" car or similar? Might be worth contacting him or his sons (I think they run a shop in Michigan) to see if they have any info.

23. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

The car is bad ass! Tinted windows contribute to the look.

We all dearly hope that it exists somewhere in a garage-in one piece waiting to be restored.

The hard reality is that many times, old race cars get parked, engine gets pulled for a rebuild, sold off or swapped into another car. In some cases, race partnerships existed because someone had a good chassis/body and someone else had a killer engine. Partnership disolves and the car loses it's mill.

If that car were minus the drivetrain and the wheels/tires were sold off the personality is gone.

Best case scenario; It lives, waiting to be revived.

Worst case scenario; It got parted out and the body is now a 10" channeled, primered R/R with a tractor grille.

24. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

I shared this post in the Facebook Group "Vintage NHRA Memorabilia". I asked if anyone has an entry list from the 1967 Indy Nationals to look for a car from Edgerton, OH. The names of their home towns are included.

Also, there's probably some HAMBer's that have that entry list. I have one from the '67 NHRA Springnationals held at Bristol, TN. I checked and no one was entered from Edgerton, OH.

25. johnk320

johnk320
    from Erie PA

I was going to suggest the same thing as nitrobrother (above). Contact Dave Koffel and see if he knows anything about it. I can't imagine that, back in the day, he wouldn't have heard something about another car running the "Flintstone" moniker. Even though they were essentially across the state from each other, they probably ran at some of the same tracks.

26. That thing is sinister. Hope to hear some more history!

27. AHotRod

AHotRod

Some one will show up with information if you get the word out to the Ohio guys....

28. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I cant imagine Dave Koffel NOT knowing about this car. Is someone trying to contact hm?

Frank