Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Searching for a hot rod color

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32cruisin, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Thinking of changing the color of my 32 Chevy, currently in white primer. The car used to be in hotrod black but thinking something different. Want to go to like a gun metal grey satin or something like that . Any help on what to look for appreciated. Thanks

2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

You need to pick your favorite color. That way if it is a keeper you will be happy with it for a longer time period.

town sedan likes this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

From black, to white, to gray? Are you color blind? There's lots of cool colors out there. Look around!

jimgoetz and Jalopy Joker like this.
  4. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

The older I get, the more I am drawn to this color . . .

Hot_Rod_19-01.jpg
    30coupe_pan.jpg
    ac83f3c96a25241fa724a4ab691311b9.jpg

Deuces, chryslerfan55, BigO and 2 others like this.

5. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

One of my hardest decisions is choosing the right colors, all I know is patina is not a color

6. town sedan

town sedan

The most famous '32 Chevy 5 window I remember was yellow and had a later Chevy six in it. Was owned by some tall guy who sold it off for a '32 Ford. Go figure:D
    -Dave

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

A hot rod should be a personal expression of your taste and style.

Pick the time period of cars that got you into old cars, think of the cars that really turned you on back then. Build to that style, not whatever the current flavor of the month is.

Surely there were a few cars that you really liked?

8. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

Colors that are bright and visible so the muggles can see you coming.
    Greys and black blend into the background.

9. Mix white & black together ya get grey, be daring go bold.

Red, yellow or orange. :D HRP

10. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

That beach coupe looks good because it's broken up with white and many highlights. Stand back from your car, close your eye's and let the imagination do your choosing. You might be surprised.

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am in the same place with my truck @32cruisin , in fact I spent a little time on my way in to work today at the local paint store to confer with one of the brain trust. I had the idea of matte or semi flat black but after leaving the store I think that idea is now moot. He said I would never be happy with it, almost impossible to apply evenly, impossible to repair and match, scratches and bird droppings are there for ever, you have to paint the entire truck (all pieces) at the same time with the same pot at the same temp with the same wetness...nightmare. He said the best painters (which I am not) can't paint matte colors that will please a perfectionist (which I am).

So my advice is stay glossy, no metallic, and spend some time at the paint store. Research is key.

12. I read somewhere years ago that one of the ways paint colors are chosen by car manufacturers for future years is by the color of ladies lingerie today. So just look through a lady friend's panty drawer and pick a color you like best. :rolleyes:

nightie.jpg

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  13. Lots of vehicles on the road today, cruise a parking lot, find something you like and try and get the make, model and year and color code. Most paint stores can mix up the color and add stuff you want, metallic, %gloss, pearl, whatever. I wanted semi flat, non-metallic 40 Ford Garnet Maroon. Had old PPG paint formula, but it doesn't translate to todays chemicals. Plus PPG has different "levels" of "quality" - Deltron being upper crust $$$, Shopline being lesser.
    Try '08 Ford Ranger or '19 Honda Ridgeline greys. I liked 'em.

14. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Black...Everything else is camouflage

Atwater Mike likes this.
  15. what has worked in the past is driving through car dealerships to see what catches my eye. There are some nice colors being sprayed on new cars, plus they are somewhat easier to match if you need to do touch ups.

GreenMonster48 likes this.
  16. I've always liked the shark-skin silver color that was on the early 60's vettes. That color would translate very well on a hot rod and would make other colors pop off of it (i.e colorful pinstriping, etc)

17. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

So I guess my next car is going to be pink with race car lettering that says “It’s not going to lick itself” o_O:D

18. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Used to hate green but now I have 2 cars a 40 and a 32 in different shades of green. The 40 Is Cloudmist Grey and the deuce is Bruces Rod Shop (Cement Green).

19. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Let's see, it's a Chevy, it's a hot rod, gotta be Hugger Orange. I had a hot rod '65 Chevy pickup I painted that color and it suddenly was able to do second gear wheelies! :D

3banjos and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. Faded, see-through, holes in them. Sounds like Patina to me... :oops:

The Shift Wizard likes this.
  21. Go with a solid color, it looks more traditional than metallic. I like the tans / grey tones.(always gloss) But if you want to play it safe and have the best, go gloss black. It never goes out of fashion.

mcsfabrication and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. I never know until I walk out of the paint store....just saying.

nochop likes this.
  23. Binkman

Binkman

I have had the same problem many times over the years. The colors I chose looked great for a while but I eventually got tired of them or styles changed.
    About 20 years ago after talking with several well known painters I decided to go with a stock Ford color. It isn't flashy and it isn't trendy, but it still looks great on my cars, after all this time.
    There are three more that are done since this photo was taken, another Victoria, a truck and I am finishing a 2- dr sedan. All cordoba grey.
    My paint dealer has my color code on speed dial, and I have no problem matching the color up if some damage happens.
    I have had them all, black, candy apple's ,pearls, flat black, red oxide primer, etc.
    Never again- the factory spent a lot of time deciding what looked good.

Attached Files:

24. Nice!:cool:

25. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Truly classic, @Binkman!
    There were more primered cars in and out of my shop in late '70s to early '80s than I want to remember! I advised, critiqued, even pleaded..."Paint it!"
    Some got sold in primer, one in particular, a '32 five window hiboy...(sold for $9k) The seller dropped by 2 months later, I was working on the radiator. (SBC, 400TH, needed more 'core thickness')
    Car had been painted, black. Amazing...in a short time.
    Previous owner was nearly in tears..."Why did I sell this?"
    I was all set. "Cuz ya wouldn't paint it!"
    Painted cars can get 'shabby', and then a simple detail will bring them back.
    Cut and rub, polish...Go around the edges. Shoe polish the tires. Wow.
    Gotta love real paint!

Rckt98 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. dan31

dan31

32Cruisin, i just check my own drawer for inspiration,how to you like yellow with brown racing stripes?.

27. That depends on how those brown stripes got on those yellow panties. :confused:

dan31 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Really? Let somebody else pick the color for YOUR car? It should be something that speaks to you personally, not something you take a poll on.
    SMH,
    SPark

29. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

Yeah the wide whitewalls really make it sing.