Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Searching for 1948 Tucker photos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tucker Fan 48, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I have seen the Tucker over in Lancaster , Pa. in a museum , saw one at another place years ago , but the saddest one I ever saw was at the NSRA show in York , Pa. a few years ago where one was gutted and made into a kustom car . It have a Corvette engine in the rear and had all kinds of mods done to it BUT you could tell what it was ! I really couldn't believe what I saw that day as many people like me , looked at it in discust that someone would do what they did to a TUCKER ! Yes it's their car but to do what they did to such a rare car that was so far ahead of it's time , really made me sick ! :mad:
    There is something so very special about a Tucker due to all the advancements that that car had . No wonder the other car manufactures didn't like the car ! It would have really put the pressure on them to build a car with all the advancements and safety that the Tucker had . I still enjoy watching the movie from time to time and really wish I had a change to take a ride in one to see everything the Tucker had .
    Anyway good luck with your journey to find all the other ones out there that are hid in someone barn .
    If you have anymore information on the one that was at the NSRA show , please let us all know .

Retro Jim

2. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

What about that story CK Deluxe ran in either there 2nd or 3rd issue about that Tucker in Australia(?) that was customized? Anybody else remember that or was it a hoax?

3. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Retro JIM --Was that the one built by The Idas-I thought it was built from scratch. weren`t they gonna build a limited number.

4. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

There is a piece of Tucker Doccumentation on the thread --Cool Pictures, Lets see them Part 2 on page 38. Also- there is a Tucker at the Speedy Bill Museum in Lincoln Nebraka.

5. 61 Fairlane

61 Fairlane

Back in 1967 we lived next to a small used car lot. I walked over one day and there sitting in the garage was this really cool car with 6 exhasut tips. Being all of 13 years old I didnt know what a Tucker was. The owner of the lot and the Tucker was a man named Abe Malofski , Im not sure of the spelling or pronouncation of the last name. The car was a medium blue and he explained to me that he bought the car new and was to be a dealer for them.

I always loved Tuckers. Good luck in your search.

6. Skidmore

Skidmore
    from San Marcos

Here is number 50 in San Marcos Texas at Dick's Classic Garage. I also have some interesting photos at the museum I can scan for you later.

Attached Files:

7. Dick's Classic Garage

Dick's Classic Garage

Here are some pics of #1050, it has only 1/4 a mile on the odometer. We have it on display at our museum. We also have a 2nd engine that we will be restoring soon.

Attached Files:

8. I know that Hombres Ruin already stated it but the auto museum in Balboa Park does have the blue body, but more importantly they have a small library in there that is filled with historical information and the old man there may be able to help you too.

9. philo426

philo426

10. Plymouth51_cc

Plymouth51_cc

I remember watching the movie back when I was in Business class in High School. There is a website for the tuckers and everyone of the 51 cars has a picture. Crazy looking car tho!

11. mj40's

mj40's

12. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Stanlow69 , I am not sure if it was or not . There was the Tucker on display and people were bitchin about what they did to a Tucker and the guys there didn't say anything to anyone about the car . So to be honest , I really don't know . The display said it was a Tucker and this was what was done to it .
    It's really sad if it was a TRUE Tucker !

Retro Jim

13. Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  14. uncle buck

uncle buck

There was one in the PNW out of Oregon if I remember correctly, that had a 390 Ford in it or something like that. I want to think it was modified in the late 60's - early 70's. Seems like it was on eba in the last 10 years or so too.

15. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

I also remember one on one of those Car Auction shows they show on HDT. I don't remember which number it was but it was painted a very nice green metallic color...I'm sure the Paint Code is "Sexy Olive";).

16. That's 1046. It's being restored to original.

17. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Found it. It's probably a joke but it has pictures.

[​IMG]

18. I've known the Ida's for over 25 years, and followed the project from it's beginning to the first completed car.
    To the best of my knowledge, Bob & Rob Ida have only produced 2 complete Tuckers.
    The plugs for their molds were made from fiberglass pieces originally made for the movie TUCKER when the production company needed lots of parts and cars for the factory scenes. As I recall, the original splash molds were made off an unrestored, and pretty rough car from New Jersey.

19. i had the radio faceplate
    shown in the parts pile in a above post

AND BELOW
    sold it .. before the movie came out.. are they rare too?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  20. bill wallace

bill wallace

About post 28 Preston Tucker didnt drive in the Indy 500 but did lend his name to the Miller rear drive cars. In 1946 George Barringer was the driver of the Tucker Torpedo. Tucker was associated with Miller back in the 1930s & was who talked Edsel Ford into the Ford fleet entry into the 35 indy 500.

21. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

What are the serial numbers of your spare engine and the engine in the car? The number is located on the top of the block at the rear of the engine next to where the distributor goes into the block. It's a 5 digit number starting with 335. (example attached)

Attached Files:

22. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

some from conceptcarz.com

<table width="580" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
    </td><td>
    </td><td>
    </td><td>
    </td><td>
    </td></tr><tr><td>
    </td><td>
    </td><td>
    </td><td>
    </td><td>
    </td></tr><tr><td>
    </td><td>
    </td><td>
    </td><td>
    </td><td>
    </td></tr><tr><td>
    </td><td>
    </td><td>
    </td><td>
    </td><td>
    </td></tr><tr><td>
    </td><td>
    </td><td>
    </td><td>
    </td></tr></tbody></table> <ins style="display: inline-table; border: medium none; height: 60px; margin: 0pt; padding: 0pt; position: relative; visibility: visible; width: 468px;"><ins id="google_ads_frame2_anchor" style="display: block; border: medium none; height: 60px; margin: 0pt; padding: 0pt; position: relative; visibility: visible; width: 468px;"></ins></ins>
    </td><td>
    </td></tr></tbody></table><ins style="display: inline-table; border: medium none; height: 60px; margin: 0pt; padding: 0pt; position: relative; visibility: visible; width: 468px;"></ins>
    <table width="100%"><tbody><tr><td>1948 Tucker 48 news, pictures, and information

</td><td>
    </td></tr></tbody></table> <table width="440" border="0" cellspacing="5"><tbody><tr><td>[​IMG]</td><td>[​IMG]</td><td valign="top">View more photos
    Sedan
    Chassis Num: 70052026013
    Engine Num: 1036
    </td></tr></tbody></table>Built by Preston Thomas Tucker, 51 examples were built, of which 47 survive now. The car is called the 'Tucker 48' (for its model year). It was called the 'Tucker Torpedo' as it was being designed and promoted.

Though only 51 examples were ever produced, the work of Preston Tucker has firmly cemented itself in history and a legacy that resounds with automotive enthusiasts from all corners of the world. After the close of the Second World War, Tucker began work on a new breed of automobiles that would become and engineering marvel and a masterpiece of design.

The work was done in a Dodge aircraft engine plant located in Chicago, which Tucker had purchased. Two clay mockups were created, both identical in mechanical dimensions but varying in style. A final version was crafted from the best of both clay models. The final version was then made into a metal prototype which was dubbed the 'Tin Goose'. It was first shown to the public on June 19th, 1947.

Though the design was moving along steadily, the engine was plagued with problems. Its shortcoming were its excess noise, lack of power, and requiring multiple batteries in order to start. A 6 ALV 335 Franklin helicopter engine was used as a replacement. The engine was modified to utilize liquid cooling and the adaptation of a Cord 810 transmission. When the process was complete, the engine produced 166 horsepower and 372 foot-pounds of torque.

The Tucker was a model of safety. The interior cockpit was given padded dashboard and carried instrumentation that was grouped around the steering wheel. This meant that the protruding buttons and gauges would not cause damage to its occupants during an accident. The center-mounted headlight moved with the steering wheel providing light in the direction the vehicle would be traveling.

The front and rear seats could be interchanged which aided in the reduction of wear.

Soon after the Tucker automobiles began rolling off the assembly line in spring of 1948, the Securities and exchange Commission began investigating the allegations of mail fraud and other violations. The negative publicity sent stock plummeting and the facility was forced to close. Tucker assemble a skeleton crew and were able to continue production for a few more months, lasting until March of 1949, at which time the company fell into receivership and its assets were seized.

The Moss green colored Tucker Torpedo was offered for sale at the 2006 RM Auction held in Monterey, CA where it was expected to sell between $700,000-$900,000. It carries chassis number 1038 and was completed on October 25th, 1948. It was constructed without a transmission. Later, a Cord transmission was installed.

Since its assembly the car was given a comprehensive professional restoration. The car had traveled only 3100 miles since new. It was equipped from the factory with an AM radio and factory luggage.

At auction the vehicle was sold, fetching $577,500.

In 2008, this 1948 Tucker Sedan was offered for sale at the 'Sports & Classics of Monterey' presented by RM Auctions. It was estimated to sell for $500,000 - $600,000. An astonishing high bid of $1,017,500, including buyer's premium, was enough to secure new ownership. This bid was well above the estimated value, but with only 51 examples ever created, that was the price needed to own this car. Needless to say, the lot was sold.
    <table width="440" border="0" cellspacing="5"><tbody><tr><td>[​IMG]</td><td>[​IMG]</td><td valign="top">View more photos
    Sedan
    Chassis Num: 1034
    </td></tr></tbody></table>This Tucker, #34 of only 51 produced, sold for $2,450. It was originally titled to Samuel L. Winternitz & Co. of Chicago, IL, and was used as one of ten promotional cars that traveled the U.S. It was sold to Joy Brothers Motors of St. Paul, MN, for $1,800 on November 14, 1950, with only 339 miles on it. It was stored at the dealership for 18 years before being sold for $6,500 in 1968. The present owners purchased the car in 1985 when it only had 2,500 miles on it. It is presently driven on a regular basis and still only has 4,500 original miles on it.

The Tucker had many advanced ideas that were geared towards safety; it has a low profile roof (five feet above the pavement), and the floor is only nine inches above it. It has aircraft style doors for aerodynamics and ease of entry. It also has a non-shattering, pop-out windshield, padded dash and doors, a 'crash compartment' under the cowling at the front passenger seat area, into which the front passengers could duck for safety in the event of an accident. The car is powered by a 334.1-cubic inch, 6-cylinder, horizontally opposed, Franklin helicopter engine, developing 166 horsepower, located in the rear. The engine was fitted so it could be removed in a matter of minutes in order for it to be serviced by the dealer and a loaner engine would be installed so it could be driven while your engine was being worked on. This 4,235-pound car is capable of 109 mph and gets 24 miles to a gallon of gasoline.
    <table width="440" border="0" cellspacing="5"><tbody><tr><td>[​IMG]</td><td>[​IMG]</td><td valign="top">Sedan
    </td></tr></tbody></table>The only American car that received more publicity than the Kaiser in the post World War II years was the Tucker Torpedo. Preston Tucker was determined to build a new car with more forward-looking features - 'the first completely new car in fifty years' as the Tucker brochures stated. At his side, the flamboyant Tucker had Alex Tremulis, the renowned auto stylist who had learned his craft from E.L. Cord. The original design for the new car featured a center placed steering wheel and front fenders that would turn with the wheels. In the original design, the car used a horizontally opposed engine with hydraulically actuated valves, and an integrated crankshaft driving an automatic transmission. This engine could not be made function in time for production, so a Franklin helicopter engine, modified from air to liquid cooling, was used to drive a redesigned Cord front wheel drive transmission replacing the Tuckermatic (which was not developed in time to be installed in the production Tuckers).

In place of the moving front fenders, Tucker installed a third headlight that turned with the steering wheel. The 'Cyclops Eye' headlight was just one of the several safety features that were placed in the tucker. The dash area was padded, the windshields could be popped out, and all controls were grouped in front of the driver. The area ahead of the front seat, called the Safety Chamber, was a large carpeted box that driver and front seat occupants could drop into if a crash was imminent. Tucker had considered safety belts, but they were abandoned because designers felt that they might imply his car was unsafe. The disc brakes planned for the car were abandoned because of cost, but the car retained all-independent suspension and tubular shocks. Tough not built with uni-body construction like Hudson, the Tucker had a step down passenger compartment, which gave the car a very low center of gravity. This, in turn, allowed the 4200-pound car to handle surprisingly well.

Collection of Debbie HullSource - SDAM

<table width="440" border="0" cellspacing="5"><tbody><tr><td>[​IMG]</td><td>[​IMG]</td><td valign="top">View more photos
    Convertible
    </td></tr></tbody></table>This is the only Tucker Convertible in existence. It has zero original miles, zero owners, never titled, correct Cord sourced transmission, and unique Tucker frame.

The work done to this car has been more of a completion project rather than a restoration project. The engine, transmission, frame, suspension, breaks, and many other components/parts are as new with zero original miles. Tuckers were originally outfitted with poorly designed Torsilastic (rubber bonded to metal) suspension. Due to this, many Tuckers are now outfitted with other suspension systems.
    <table width="440" border="0" cellspacing="5"><tbody><tr><td>[​IMG]</td><td valign="top">Sedan
    </td></tr></tbody></table>The Tucker was powered by a rear-mounted helicopter engine and boasted many innovative safety features including the first pop-out safety windshield, first padded dash, and a center headlight that turned to light around corners.

23. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

more Tucker's from conceptcarz.com

[​IMG] </td><td>
    </td><td>
    </td><td>
    </td><td>
    </td></tr><tr><td> [​IMG] </td><td> [​IMG] </td><td> [​IMG] </td><td> [​IMG] </td><td> [​IMG] </td></tr><tr><td> [​IMG] </td><td> [​IMG] </td><td> [​IMG] </td><td> [​IMG] </td><td> [​IMG] </td></tr><tr><td> [​IMG] </td><td> [​IMG] </td><td> [​IMG] </td><td> [​IMG] </td><td> [​IMG] </td></tr><tr><td> [​IMG] </td><td> [​IMG] </td><td> [​IMG] </td><td> [​IMG] </td></tr></tbody></table> <ins style="display: inline-table; border: medium none; height: 60px; margin: 0pt; padding: 0pt; position: relative; visibility: visible; width: 468px;"><ins id="google_ads_frame2_anchor" style="display: block; border: medium none; height: 60px; margin: 0pt; padding: 0pt; position: relative; visibility: visible; width: 468px;"></ins></ins>

24. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

50MercFan posted this shot on the early thread,
    "old dealership photos...picture thread." NICE!

[​IMG]

25. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Somewhere in my buried car stuff, I have an original 1948 newspaper ad I found in an old house under the living room linoleum. It was an ad placed in one of the Columbus, Ohio, newspapers for the Farber Tucker dealership for Columbus. I seem to recall reading elsewhere that Farber, being once of the first to buy a franchise, was scheduled to get one of the first REAL Tuckers to display in their N. High Street showroom, once production of actual cars got cranked up. Today, the Farber family is still in business in Columbus, though they specialize in MANY types of RVs, especially the huge camper types. They also have a division that does several completion phases of LARGE people movers, under government contract.

26. Harms Way

Harms Way

[​IMG]

OK,... yeah,.. I know
    [​IMG]

27. Harms Way

Harms Way

I remember reading a article in Rod Action back in the 70's ? About Preston Tucker and a 1932 Ford Highboy Roadster,... Did a little research and came up with this,.. Seems like there was a interest in Hot Rods, at the Tucker Household !:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The history of the car is every bit as fascinating as its power plant. Mr. Williams first became interested in cars while attending the University of Michigan in the late 1940s. During a summer vacation, Len and some friends motored back to Watkins Glen to watch the SCCA road races. The car that caught Len's eye was not the exotic stuff on the track, Jags, Ferraris, Porsches and the like, rather, a 32 Highboy Roadster that a young couple had driven down from Massachusetts. It was meticulous with a flathead Merc, hydraulic brakes and a black lacquer paint job. recalls Williams.

A military service bonus combined with an understanding young wife (still tolerating his eccentricities to this day) led to Ypsilanti and the son of Preston Tucker,...yes, that Preston Tucker!, He had a beat up, rusted out 32 roadster that he had given up on, muses Williams. I gave him fifty bucks for it! After transplanting an engine, transmission, brakes, wheels and tires froma 41 Ford, Len had me a Hot Rod. As an aside, it's one of those curious little ironies that 60 plus years later one of father Tucker's cars and son Tucker's ex-32 roadster have found a common home, The LeMay Museum, Marymount.

You can read the entire story here,... ( I just knew I liked this guy !!! :D)

http://www.lemaymuseum.org/news.php?nid=207

And here,...
    http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2007/02/02/rocket-car-schmrocket-car-37000-rpm-turbine-32-hi-boy/

28. painterdude1

painterdude1
    from michigan

When my dad was in the air force me was leaving Texas on a bus to come back to Mi.. That night a Tucker passed him with a neon sign on the back that read "You are now being passed by a Tucker" .He thinks that was about sept. of 1949.Wish he would have wad a camera.

Number 1015 is at Stahls museum less than a mile from my house.

29. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Farber did own Tucker #1012 for a short time. It would be interesting to find out if they sold the car or if it went back to the factory and was resold to another dealer. Many of the dealers bought cars on consignment and later exchanged the cars for different ones or sent them back if they experienced cash problems. #1012 was in Illinois by 1951.

30. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Great information. Mr. Woytowich owned the car until 1972 when he sold it to its present owner Dave Cammack. The car will go to the Hershey Museum someday. It would be interesting to find out if the Woytowich family has any information as to when they bought the car and from who. I have information on it but I always find it helpful to verify things with the owners or their family.

It would also be helpful to find out if the car was green when they purchased it. It was Maroon when it left the factory.