Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods search function.......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by B.A.KING, May 5, 2019.

1. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Quick question.
    I was going to do a search about a timing light, i either lost/misplaced/somebody borrowed mine. i guess its time for a new one, i got it when i was 16, I'm 62 now.Any way when i tried to put in the word "timing light" it would take me away from the site, to a "search encrypt"? Now i admit i am like my friend Don, being an analog man in a Digital world. I was using the magnifying glass icon?
    I just wanted to see what folks on here used, cause dang it i gots to buy another.
    But my question is is that the way the site is set up, to go to a different site/search?
    Of course it could/probably is me?

2. squirrel

squirrel

Maybe you have some kind of weird search toolbar virus malware crap on your computer?

Search works fine for me. But I also have my browser set up pretty tight to avoid weird things happening to it--like I disable 3rd party cookies, I use adblock, I'm real careful about what software I install on my computer, etc.

Stogy likes this.
  3. xsquiden

xsquiden

I have an older snap-on that is digital it has a tach and you can raise or lower the degrees I love that thing

Oldioron likes this.
  4. Wow....and he was just looking for info....have a Sears/Penske that works well....and a newer Sun....both garage sale finds that work well......still have an older Sun that shocks the piss out of you.....

5. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I've got the same thing, damn thing has got to be thirty years old.

xsquiden likes this.
  6. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

I crank lead into whatever it is until it pings, then back it off .....

loudbang likes this.
  7. Did no one but squirrel actually read the post?

lothiandon1940 and kadillackid like this.
  8. BA, I typed in timing light and it pulled up one post but not what you came up with. I think the Russians have hacked your computer...:eek:

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mac, or PC?

What anti-virus software are you running, and DON'T say NONE?!

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'll guess cell phone.

11. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Its a mac And i haven't a clue.

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's a Mac, and it doesn't.

13. squirrel

squirrel

I thought Macs always worked right. huh.

if it was a PC, I might be able to help.

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They used to.

Banking of the false sense of security that many Mac users have, those who would do harm have moved into the cyber crime, data theft and ransomware market.

Nowadays, if you have a Mac, and you are not running antivirus software, it is only a matter of time before you take a hit.

15. squirrel

squirrel

Fortunately, my Mac is old enough that I can't connect it to the internet (I don't have a phone line any more), so I don't have to worry about it.

As for the OPs question...I don't have a clue about what goes wrong with modern Macs. Sorry.

16. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I don't know anything about macs. I know mac is proprietary so maybe the mac explorer thingy needs to be reset? Or something like that,,,

17. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a Dell desktop and it started doing the same thing a few weeks back. Before that the search worked fine.

18. jnaki

jnaki

A. upload_2019-5-6_3-46-59.png
    B. upload_2019-5-6_3-47-18.png
    C. upload_2019-5-6_3-47-35.png
    D. upload_2019-5-6_3-47-50.png

Hello,

The search function of HAMB works fine. It might have been on the search page, but maybe you typed in “timing light” in the actual website search bar. Where the normal Google search is done. https://

That is a common mistake, instead of using the HAMB search page and tab. I followed my own instructions and got 25 answers on “Timing Light.”
    1. upload_2019-5-6_3-53-23.png

If you don’t check the box search titles only, then there are over 7 pages of timing light answers and 194 possible answers strictly from the HAMB. Here is one last probably answer: When you did type in “timing light”, your sensitive mouse pad moved the pointer to Google search instead of site results. Then you own computer takes over for a search on their information or lack of…
    2. upload_2019-5-6_3-54-3.png

Jnaki

It took me a while to actually figure out how sensitive the search function is on the HAMB. If I type “What did you see, today?” As a normal spelling sentence/question is typed, hoping to go to that thread, there is no definitive thread. There are only a bunch of “maybe” sites on the HAMB. Why?

The spelling the way a normal person would type is “What did you see, today?” (this is no the grammar police, but normal High School English writing…with or without the comma) But, the original HAMB thread is misspelled or the grammar is incorrect and that throws the whole thing into a tailspin. The search is directly related to correct spelling or the spelling the original thread post was typed in a long time ago. So, the original posted thread title is “What you see today?” So, typing makes a difference.
    A. upload_2019-5-6_3-54-52.png
    B. upload_2019-5-6_3-55-15.png

We all have grammar police built in to our word processors and there is also a spell check built in place. But, re-reading the title or post for errors is always a good part of writing. If in doubt, type it in Google search and it will usually give a correct answer.
    C. upload_2019-5-6_3-55-54.png
    D. upload_2019-5-6_3-56-15.png

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  19. the-rodster

the-rodster