Register now to get rid of these ads!

Search for Old Style Metal Canister 3/8 Fuel Filter??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by redlinetoys, Apr 7, 2011.

1. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

It doesn't seem that long ago that you could go into any general auto parts store and hunt around through four or five 3/8 barb style fuel filters to find one that works for a particular hot rod or custom.

Now though, I go to the store and there is a sea of high pressure/low pressure/strange end fuel filters and I am not sure where to start.

Of course, I can buy the tiny 3/8 Mr Gasket style chrome filter for 8 or 9 dollars. Nah.

Or I sometimes see the small transparent plastic filters which can be handy, or even the little chrome/glass filters. Nah.

I just want to find a PART NUMBER on a readily available (read Autozone, etc) big old fashioned metal canister filter that I can tuck back under the frame by the fuel tank.

Is there still such an animal? Thoughts? Sources? Parts Numbers?

Thanks in advance!!

2. ems customer service

ems customer service

is this what your looking for?

Attached Files:

3. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Well that is interesting, but I was thinking more of the old metal canister large disposable type, sort of like this...

You used to be able to find a good name brand filter like this with 3/8 hose barbs on either end. The rough dimension was something like 2.5 inches in diameter and maybe 3.5 or 4 inches long.

Not chrome, just a decent size replacement filter for back under the chassis near the tank.

As time goes on it gets more and more frustrating to go to the auto parts stores and wade through chrome 3 blade windshield wipers and scented light up skulls looking for parts!

Attached Files:

4. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Have you tried NAPA? Maybe even a Lawn mower place, or Farm supply store.

5. I just bought a similar one. It was made by Wix.

6. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

Fram G15, as pictured here:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  7. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We've got'em on the shelf at O'Reillys, just sold two today.

8. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Thanks guys. Actually that Napa one is a big 4 inch filter, probably perfect.

EMS Custom Service>>> That is a pretty nice looking setup with the replaceable element too. Where does that come from?

9. I was going to suggest O'Reilly's or NAPA around here they still have them out on the rack at both places.

10. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I thought I would finish this post out in case someone happens to be doing a future search. Thanks to help from you guys and a little further internet probing based on the leads...

Here is what I found for a METAL canister fuel filter with two 3/8 hose barbs (in/out):

1. NAPA 3033, Smaller Metal Canister, 20 Micron Filter

2. WIX 33033, Smaller Metal Canister, 20 Micron Filter

3. FRAM G15, Smaller Metal Canister, Unknown Filtering Quality

4. AC DELCO GF-61P, Larger Metal Canister, Unknown Filtering Quality

5. HASTINGS GF112, Larger Metal Canister, Unknown Filtering Quality

6. NAPA 3482, Larger Metal Canister, 13 Micron Filter

7. WIX 33482, Larger Metal Canister, 13 Micron Filter

I picked up Number 6, The NAPA 3482 Filter with 13 micron quality media. That is EXACTLY what I was hoping to find.

Happy Motoring!

11. ratfink56

ratfink56

Nissans use that style.