Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods sealing wire wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by foolthrottle, Feb 1, 2021.

1. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Got an old set of wire wheels, an would like to run tubeless tires, any advice on sealing the rims

2. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

A LOT of silicon on each button, but you will run into bead setting problem on rim bead

foolthrottle likes this.
  3. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

The wheels I have are old bolt on Jaguar 15"

4. millersgarage

millersgarage

3m Marine adhesive sealant 5200

foolthrottle likes this.

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

I also need a couple of spokes, where should I be lookin?

7. Make sure you 'tune' those wheels up before putting them to use. Just so you know, those aren't factory Jag wheels. Jag never used a bolt-on wire, the factory wires were all spline-drive knock-off style. Jaguar discontinued wire wheels in the early '70s because of issues with them going out of true but because of customer requests the dealers would install them, usually Tru-spokes (source for spokes), although even the dealers finally quit doing that as they had to eat the 'warranty' issues. Loose/broken spokes aren't uncommon, make sure the spokes are properly tightened. You find these on the used market pretty often, usually because they were removed with trueness issues. Trued up and used on a lighter car (under 3000 lbs, and avoiding 'spirited' driving) they'll be fine, heavier cars not so much.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    foolthrottle likes this.
  8. I also suspect that you'll need to de-lace the wheels to replace broken spokes. Check u-tube for how-tos....

The problem with these was they were only 40 spoke, which wasn't enough for the car's weight/intended use. If they went to 60 spokes, they couldn't get enough room to access the lug nuts.

foolthrottle likes this.
  9. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

I might set my car up with an additional set of solid wheels for hard use

10. 58 Mustang

58 Mustang

40 spoke?!?!?!?! the late big Healeys and TR6s ran 72 spoke wheels