Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Sealing gutters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Saxman, Nov 23, 2014.

1. What are you fellas using to seal rain gutters? Wasn't sure if I should just use regular seam sealer or if there is something better.

Also, I cleaned out the old sealer and ground out a bit of rust (nothing too severe) but there is still a little rust down in the seams that I can't get to. My plan is to use some POR-15 and work it down into the seams and then topcoat with epoxy primer. I assume that I would use the seam sealer over the epoxy primer and then epoxy over the top again before color coats. Does this sound right?

I imagine there will be some shrinkage of the sealer so I'm thinking it will need to cure well before top coating?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  2. Autodave

Autodave
    from Menifee,Ca

I would use a 2 part seam sealer like the one in the link. With the 2 part you will not have any shrinkage ,is a far better product than a one part and looks very professional. I would do all of your prep work and primer then apply the sealer, you can paint over the sealer with no issues. The product I linked flows quite a bit, they also make a similar one that doesn't flow as much (controlled flow). The downfall, it's pricey and you need the applicator gun for that cartridge. (On a side note, I can borrow you the gun and help you out if needed. I do a lot of seam sealing in my occupation)
    http://www.kent-automotive.com/kent/Flex-E-6001-Seam-Sealer/P10486.ka

3. Thanks for the info AutoDave and I appreciate your offer. Since you're not that far away from me, I might take you up on it too. It's going to be a least a month before my drip rails are ready though.

Thanks again!