Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical sealing drip rails?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by I_be_moose, Jan 21, 2017.

1. I_be_moose

I_be_moose

Back on my long term coupe project. It is back from media blasting and am now doing the finish body work. Part of the rebuild of the body was reattaching drip rails. When I installed them I used weld primer on both surfaces. I am sure it is not adequate for rust prevention. What is a good technique/product to seal that area? The drip rails were plug welded from the back side.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I like it a lot,love driprails now {OK not so much back when I started building hotrods in the 50s}There maybe better things now,but we did seal them with JB weld way back,that seemed to work OK.

3. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

I recommend a 2 part seam sealer. There are many on the market now to meet the demands of late model collision repair/pre accident restoration. Choose one that is paintable and remains flexible. Push it into the gap and wipe off the excess. Very high quality products.

4. after epoxy priming i use 3m fast and firm seam sealer.

mgtstumpy and john worden like this.

5. I like the idea of the cowl vent,I;m sure you will like it in the future. HRP

mgtstumpy likes this.
  6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I used a seam sealer years ago that came in a toothpaste type tube. I've never used weld through primer but definitely seal the area where surfaces join, top and bottom. You want to keep water and contaminates out to prevent any future corrosion or problems.Wipe it in neatly and clean off as your preparation now will pay dividends later.