Register now to get rid of these ads!

Seal for Radiator filler panels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DanBabb, May 31, 2011.

1. Making some filler panels to fill in the gaps around the radiator. For my project, I'm using a smaller radiator that fits inside the U-shaped support so I have gaps around it.

I'm trying to find something I can use to seal the filler panel up against the radiator. Can't find anything on McMaster that has a heat rating high enough to be sitting against the side tanks.

I was thinking about using some type of rubber hose, but afraid that will melt too.

Any ideas on what I can use? Here's a picture so you can see what I'm looking at. There will be a gap around the whole radiator, so I want to seal it. Plus I want to prevent the edges of the filler panels from rubbing against the side tanks.

[​IMG]

2. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

Rubber 1/4" fuel line won't melt. You could also get some flat material and pop rivet it to the edge. I made the same panels for one of my trucks, but didn't use any sealing material.

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Rubber won't melt...that is, any kind of hose used in the engine compartment, except clear or red fuel line hose, which you shouldn't use anyway.

Sheet fiberglas mobile home places use won't melt and they are light enuff to use...20 gauge metal will work to pop in place...or use self tapping screws

R-

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Are you trying to make an air tight seal between the metal panel and the radiator? I wouldn't be too concerned about any leakage between the panels as long as they are close to fitting properly.

Late model cross flow radiators are mounted in rubber.

5. I'm not really looking for an air tight seal...but would like to try to prevent too much from flowing around the radiator and not through it.

I figured the tanks would be in the 200-210 degree range, and would like something that can withstand that surface temp for the long haul.

I was looking at silicone hose...found something on McMaster that says it's rated for 500 degrees. Might just get that and put a slit in it and use that for a seal.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The idea is good but the hose on the edge will probably serve more as a cushion so that the edge of the filler doesn't rub the radiator tank than anything but that is a very good thing.