Register now to get rid of these ads!

!!! seach function sucks !!!

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by 54fordmainline, May 29, 2007.

1. 54fordmainline

54fordmainline

it seems like everytime i search for something it shows every post that has one word of your search in it so you get a shit load of post you dont want to see ! it sucks why use it if you cant find what your looking for ??? then when you post something thats all ready posted everyone says use the search function before you post and that they are tired of people posting the same questions !! its a fucked up circle !!

timmy
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

you just need to learn how to use it...

3. eddie_zapien

eddie_zapien

maybe its your face..... seems to work fine when i use it.

4. Paul

Paul
    Editor

hmmm... seems to work for me..

I used the advanced search function, key word "search" title only, in the Q&S forum and get this as one of the results

Tech Request: "Search function" on HAMB

what do ya know? it's got a bright red sticky and it's right at the top of this very forum! :rolleyes:

5. Degreaser

Degreaser

Sucks huh? You pay nothing to use this board and you bitch about it?? Nice.

6. squirrel

squirrel

give the guy a break, learning how to use search engines effectively is not easy! although he could be nicer about asking for help.

Usually it takes a few tries to figure out just what words to use to narrow your search down to exactly what you want. And even then you'll have to wander thru a bunch of posts....

What I don't like about it is when I am searching for something by a particular username and I go back to modify the search words, and the username disappears and I dont notice that it disappeared and so I have to keep going back and redoing it.

7. Bazooka

Bazooka

Yeah, this makes it really easy. Just take some time to learn how to use it. Just go to advanced search. Type what your looking for in the keyword and under it there is the option to search title only. Took me a whole minute to figure this out. Hope this helps

8. smokie

smokie

any one have any infoe on grant flame thrower distributor

9. Roothawg

Roothawg

I still want to know why every search I put in with more than 2 words gives me an error message.

The search term you specified (a) is under the minimum word length (2) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer.
    If this term contains a wildcard, please make this term more specific.

10. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

If your search contains ANY words less than 3 letters you will get that error.

For example, a search for model a will show this error while a search for "model a" will produce results...

The reason is, without the quotes, the search engine searches for each word individually. It will not find a word with less than three letters.

With the quotes it searches for the phrase, including the space, which is now more than three letters.

11. Roothawg

Roothawg

I'll try that Rashy.

12. DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez
    from So Cal

Yeah, I feel your pain and know exactly how you feel. Some dude had given me a perfectly good Cadillac but the asshole never gave me the owners manual with it!

You should try doing what I did. To show him what an asshole he was, I quit driving it out of protest, because of not knowing where everything was or how some of the stuff worked.

13. 52 csb

52 csb

Great Thread Guys (its All A Learing Curve) We All Need To Learn!!!!!!!!!!! Lol :):):):):d:d