Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest SD Road Trip. Any "Must See" Stuff?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bryan6902, Aug 2, 2011.

1. bryan6902

bryan6902

Going on a small vacation with the family to see friends in Pierre this weekend. Decided to take 212 to Watertown and then to Pierre. Its been about 20 years since I've gone this way. Just looking to avoid bike traffic and construction on 90. Is there anything worth stopping to check out between Watertown & Pierre?

We'll be through on Friday during the day. I guess if nothing else I'll just keep my eyes peeled for vintage tin, sitting and rotting. Bound to be some of that...

2. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Murdo SD has a very unique auto museum...
    A wide variety of cars, and in a wide variety of conditions :mad: ...old cars, muscle cars, motorcycles, etc...Not sure if you are going that way or not, but worth a look.
    I have been there a few times, and would definitely recommend checking it out. Here is the link.
    Cheers,
    Bob
    http://www.pioneerautoshow.com/

3. Not a lotta tin. Lots of small towns. You will enjoy the drive.

4. bryan6902

bryan6902

I hope so! I90 can be a grind, especially with Stugis next week, plus the trucks, plus the tourists.... Guy from my work recommended going thru Watertown and then cut down to Pierre, its his route to Sturgis on his bike. If its ok on a bike, should be good in the car. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some cool roadside attraction or an old car honey-hole!

5. Trust me, the traffic will suck either route!

6. REM/Mo

REM/Mo
    from Missouri

Not car related but interesting and depends on your interests I guess.
    The Terry Redlin art museum in Watertown.

7. gotmark73

gotmark73

Do not miss Murdo SD car museum, otherwise just enjoy the wide open country.

8. Can we get a map? Murdo is past Pierre, as in out of his way. The OP might want to bring his work clothes, there is still flooding in Pierre and he may just get put to work ;)

9. Danny_I

Danny_I
    from USA

Every state has roadside attractions, and you will surely enjoy looking at those. Roadside attractions offer more than just a place to stop. For most, a road trip with your family is what summer is all about. But individuals get tired of going the same places; the amusement parks, the seashore, the woods. So why not check out some of these so-weird-they're true destinations?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012