Register now to get rid of these ads!

SCREWED by Gearhead Enterprises, Hudson IA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TudorChris, Feb 16, 2012.

1. TudorChris

TudorChris

In March 2011 I ordered a 1932 grille with insert from Gearhead Enterprises. Since I'm located in Europe I couldn't order through their webshop so I called them and placed my order over the phone. I was promised a confirmation and tracking number per e-mail, but I never received anything. My contact in Houston, TX, where the stuff was supposed to be sent never received anything and when I e-mailed Gearhead they didn't reply. So I called them and spoke to a lady who promised she would clear it up and send me a tracking number. Two weeks went by and nothing happend. So I called them again and explained the whole thing to another lady who promised to clear it up and send me a tracking number. Nothing happened again. I called again and I had the name of the prevoius lady so I spoke to her again and she was "surprised" I hadn't been contacted. I asked for an e-mail address someone actually reads and sent them an e-mail with all the info. After a week a got a reply where they promised to clear up the whole thing, but nothing happened again. I sent them several e-mails and got some replies, but still not a sign of any tracking number or grille. I called them once more and asked for a supervisor or someone in charge, but I was connected to a number that didn't answer.

Now I'm trying to get my money back from my credit card company.

But BEWARE OF GEARHEAD ENTERPRISES!!!:eek::eek:

Their customer service truly sucks.

-TudorChris

2. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

Chris, Unfortunately you did not get all you paid for...You got the shaft, but not the elevator.

I too have been blessed by them. They got the nut, and I've got the screwing end of the deal.:(

I bought a sway bar for my Olds...Ya sure, it'll fit...:)

Well, now with my trusty dusty hack saw, I now have a big ole pry bar, because it don't fit.:mad:

Gearhead Enterprises are nothing more than a brokering house. Like you see advertized on TV...Send your money and allow 5 to 8 weeks shipping, so they can order it from some legitimate parts house...After they mark up the price of course. And be prepared to read the fine print of the product....MADE IN CHINA

Amen...fellow HAMB'rs.....this is one to stay away from.

HellRaiser

3. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

As a follow up...Whether you like them or not....Using Pay Pal..you have 30 days to cancel...If you haven't received your product with in the 30 days, call back to Pay Pal and cancel the payment. You only have 30 days to do it..After the 30 days are up though, your out of luck canceling.

Then follow that up by calling your credit card company and telling them to cancel the payment to Pay Pal. That way you've not only got the attention of your credit card company, but you've also cancelled payment to Pay Pal...

Pay Pal doesn't like to have money you've sent to them cancelled!!!!!!! They will contact the seller...

HellRaiser

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  4. That sucks to here that somebody here in Iowa would do that to you. I wish you luck getting this resolved!!

Camsore likes this.

5. titus

titus

ive bought about 6 grilles from them, but it was always on ebay, then at least theres some tracking of the transaction, my grilles all also showed up in about 3 days.

saying that, thats probably the only way id ever do business with them.

Sorry it didnt work for you, hope you get it worked out.

jeff

6. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

With a name and address you can contact the Chamber of Commerce in the city or town of the business AND the Better Business Bureau to report them. Good luck

7. Can someone tell me what the BBB can do? As far as i know they have no power to do anything but put them on a do not use list.

slack likes this.
  8. Unfortunately you are not alone. There are numerous threads about this outfit.

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Absolutely nothing! The BBB is a private rating company more than anything else. A merchant can buy a membership and therefore a rating of "good" for whatever the current asking price is. I realized this years ago with one of my businesses, and refused to pay my yearly membership. Their reaction was to "downgrade" my rating even though none of my dealings had EVER been questioned. Don't waste your time.

slack likes this.
  10. bdridge

bdridge

Better Business Bureau is a joke. The only thing that seems to help is if the state or the county has a consumer affairs dept, they usually have some clout. If you send a postal money order, the fraud becomes a federal offense.

slack likes this.
  11. Hey Tudor Chris, I also just got screwed by Gearhead Enterprice.....
    I bought a radiator for my '49 ford tudor, I payed by paypal. They marked it shipped. After a week, I emailed them an asked where is my radiator. After a few more days, I was informed there was no radiator like I had ordered in their warehouse to send me. I asked for a refund, they finally agreed. They said they would do it through paypal. Several emails later and no refund, they said they had refunded me through paypal. After 6 days and no payment I disputed it and then bumped it up to a paypal claim. Their waiting for Gearhead to reply.
    My mistake was I didn't charge it on my American Express card through paypal. I would just had to just click on the transaction to dispute it on the AE web sight and they would of went after their throat and I would have my money now.
    Fuck you assholes at Gearhead Emptyprise

12. cederholm

cederholm

Yup!!!! The BBB is useless, but what you're doing here will have impact on their business. We are their core consumer base, piss us off and they will go under - even if it takes a while. I've never dealt with them but based on this warning I wont. ...and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Get your credit card company involved and get your money back.

slack likes this.
  13. rods29sedan2

rods29sedan2

The BBB has no legal power to do anything, true. But, they can and do serve as a means to resolve issues, whether the business in question is a BBB member or not. Their involvement to resolve an issue is only as good as the offending party's willingness to resolve it. The BBB does maintain records and ratings for businesses for consumers to use as references when checking out suppliers, vendors or service providers. If the offending business cares about their BBB rating, they'll act in earnest to resolve the situation. If they don't care......well......we all know the rest of that story.

slack likes this.
  14. alchemy

alchemy

It's a good thing you didn't get '32 your grille. I was at a swap meet last month that Gearhead vended at. They had one of their '32 grilles, and it looked HORRIBLE. I don't know the maufacturer of the grille, but they must have been blind. The part wasn't even mounted on a car and I could see it would not fit. The whole thing looked like it was sat on and spread out on the backside where the hood rests. Majorly deformed.

Thank your fairy godmother for looking out for you. Just hope you can cancel your payment.

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

just googled them. bunch of bad press and an F in the BBB. I'm sure a donation to the BBB would take care of that.

if you buy from ebay you really shouldn't be suprised when your part does not arrive and they do nothing about it. it is all there in the feedback.

16. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I remember correctly, this place goes by three different names on Ebay. I was looking at some way too cheap, too be good to be true parts and found them in three stores. They all had the same customer service number but were listed as being in different towns. I have never ordered anything from them so cannot attest to the service. They were in Hudson, Waterloo and another town in Iowa I can't recall right now.

17. cayager

cayager

wow i guess im lucky. i ordered a set of clutch and brake under the floor pedals from them and got them within a week. i probably wouldnt have if i read this first. i saw a set on ebay with power brakes.i wanted manual brakes so i contacted them to see if i could get manual instead. they gave me the phone number, and i dealt with them directly over the phone. im lucky to have gotten it i guess.im recently getting back into cars and soon realized things arent the way they were in the mid 90s when i built my last street rod. years ago parts suppliers were more legit, they advertised in magazines and seamed to bigger businesses and stocked the things they sold. today with the internet they portray themselves to be bigger than they are. claiming customer service is their priority, selling mostly chinese stuff operating out of their kitchen. anyway its good to here feedback,i think ill stay away from them

18. clockwork31

clockwork31

Gearhead's name come back once a week on the hamb but it"s never positive...

19. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

I've tried to find them in Hudson, If I remember right there on 6th street or Ave or there number 605. THe only place close to a werehouse looks abandoded. or its all operated from a residence.

Jeff

20. Weasel

Weasel

Ask first on the HAMB before you use a company you have not previously done business and always pay by credit card. Caveat Emptor - buyer beware! Sorry you got screwed....

21. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

Hudson, IA. 650 5th St

22. I think they are probably just "drop shippers," and do not maintain any inventory.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  23. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

This won't end unless you people who have lost out contact the Iowa attorney General's office and file a complaint.

24. Griznant

Griznant

I bought a kickdown cable from them off of ebay and really didn't have any problems, but I wasn't expecting top-notch parts for the price. The parts were fine, but with no instructions or any kind of support number to call I had to guess what went where. Probably easy stuff to figure out for a guy who works a lot on automatics, but I'm not that guy.

25. This^^ It applies to any mis-dealings on any service, or items you purchase. They will research it, and will contact you, as well as the other party (I speak from experience on this).
    Oh, and what was said about the BBB is correct.

26. Willy301

Willy301

Something else about any ebay seller, if someone opens an ebay store, and then sells it, the new owner has the right to leave the previous owners location in the profile. This presented a problem when I bought something off ebay from a place in Buffalo, New York and when the dispute ensued, it turned out the business was really in Canada. I went to my bank, they said it might take 6-8 months for them to settle my dispute on my Debit card until I handed them a folder with all my documentation and copies of all the ebay paperwork, and all correspondence with the seller. I got immediate payment reversal.

27. big bad john

big bad john

....Weasel......Now that is good "Advise"

28. jazz1

jazz1

I have bought a few things from Gearhead Enterprises,,only problem I had was the Procomp fuel pumps they sell as low pressure are actually high pressure and there is no way to tell the difference till ya hook it up,,no markings and so shipper has no clue either..They weren't much help but they were friendly,,I think the problem is not the people you talk to,,it's some douchebag at the top pulling the strings. These guys are at Back to the Fifties in Mn the past few years.
    I just sent Gearhead the link to this page, along with a personal message,,maybe if a few other folks sent the same message they might shape up

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  29. pinman 39

pinman 39

Thanks for the heads up I have been looking at steering columns on flea Bay
    sold by Gearhead Ent .I think I'll pass .

slack likes this.
  30. kevin mac

kevin mac
    from toledo,oh

got messed up with these guys years ago....ordered parts while out of town...sent them money order(postal).... they said never got it.....after few months i got home , and into them. gearhead ent.traced money order at postofifice... postmasdter general takes over and finds out about m/o....after about 1 1/2 years my parts mysteriously appered on back doorsteo....no evidence of shippers name or anything....got all my parts , and never will order anything from them again.....good luck with them...oh by the way, i called the bank the postal m/o was cashed at...found out hes got several accounts,names on ebay...well i got a name for him......later i surfed hamb... found this guy who used the gearhead moniker.....well i write him telling him how i got screwed from them.. he says why ask /tell me i sold it years ago to guy in nebreaska,girls there got big eyes, anyway this guy turns out to be a very nice fellow, and we agree how sad it is that guys buy cheap junk from china,ect, and rape the public with it......BEWARE OF GEARHEAD ENTERPRISES... thats all kev