Register now to get rid of these ads!

Screw dynamat. Peel and seel great sound dampening material....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blake84, Jun 29, 2012.

1. koolkemp

koolkemp

I was wondering if this would be worth doing in my old 1st gen cummins!

2. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

I have to disagree about using the product on the roof,I bought this at LOWES in February and installed it they have changed brands from the former "Peel and Seal" there never has been a smell from it and the last few months we have had over 60 days with temps over 100 degrees and many over 110 there are no signs of it being loose anywhere.They do have a special seam tape I will install prior to putting in the new headliner,the big difference you can feel is between the outside and inside temperature.Here are some pix of the roof .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  3. 62rebel

62rebel

had to hunt Home Depot from one end to the other for the stuff i got today. it came in a 25' roll which was enough to cover the firewall of my Falcon down to the toeboards, and i can't cut pieces to follow a pattern worth crap. i don't think i'll have any problems with it, and plan on a roll or two more to do the floors and finish the roof, where i put a pack of Dynamat years ago that i bought at a yard sale.

i tapped on the firewall from the engine compartment and it seems to lessen the tin-can effect a bit. if it holds the heat off, that's all i need.

4. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

I bought PnS and a roll of refclectix bubble stuff at Home Depot few days ago.
    My 16yr old son installed in. First he shopvac'd interior, then wiped from firewall to under seat with thinner to make it clean n good base for sticky stuff.
    He put PnS from firewall to under seat then covered it with reflectix and used good quaility duct tape at seams.
    Turned out great.
    Gonna grab more for behind seat n inside doors next.

5. Light a piece on fire in driveway.... Let burn then try Putting it out with a garden hose..... I

6. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Holy Sh!% Awesome idea thanks for sharing. Dyna mat is for the rich folk. I priced it and had a heart attack. and thats why I still have done nothing. Now im stoked!!!!!!!!!

7. slammed

slammed

Try a fire extinguisher.

8. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Rad!

9. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

... And a section of your front and rear seat, any vinyl in your car, some oil (since your oil pressure sending unit could also become severed in an accident, pumping oil into your interior), a section of carpet, one of your pedal covers, a section of your steering wheel, and if you're running magnesium wheels, well, you may as well just write the whole car off anyway...

My point is, there is sooooo much else in your car that is going to burn at a lower temperature than this stuff, and perhaps be as difficult (if not MORE difficult) to put out. I don't see the big deal about the flame retardation level of PnS as being a deciding factor in whether or not someone installs it.

10. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

I used rattletrap from fatmat, twice as thick as peel and seal and only about .40 sf more. I just bought 6 cases of it for customers and myself

11. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I used this stuff in the trunk of my desoto in an attempt to kill some of the exhaust sounds inside the car. I lined my package tray, the rear of my seat, and any other holes I could find leading into my cabin. It didn't change a thing. I also sprayed my trunk floor with Rustoleum's "sound deadening" undercoating....nothing.

Now I'm thinking about laying a layer down in the trunk floor and covering it with some cheap carpet. I'm running dual Porters and don't want to take them off...

12. stinkity stoink

stinkity stoink
    from new jersey

I used this stuff on my 52 pickup daily driver. I did the whole interior and roof. It knocked down the noise a lot and I believe the heat.
    The problem I am getting now is it is dripping down my a pillars. it has been on now for about 5 years. at first I thought that they were paint runs that I hadn't noticed before. I finally realized it was the tar/ adhesive. No smell though.

13. outlaw256

outlaw256

what are you putting in the gas tank , and thats stuff is only a few ft. from your butt! that stuff would be the least of my worries if my car caught on fire.

14. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

That's why I mentioned in my prior post to get the H.D. aluminum seam tape that should seal it from runs in the future.Notice another "Arizona special" my '54 has a white roof to reflect off the heat, that can make a 25-30 degree difference in temps when it's 100+ outside.

15. jazz1

jazz1

I would not use it only because "what if I have to remove any of it at a later date" I used it on the roof of my house,sticks like it's a permanent solution,,not putting it in my truck..I am sure the stuff works great and is easy to install...I used that reflective bubble wrap stuff from home depot and then 1/8" rubber matting on top,,I get rubber mat free,,,it's made from recycled tires.

16. 64ONEOFF

64ONEOFF
    from Md.

Thank you, I have $300 in dynomat and no where near finished....I am tired of spending so much money to finish my project....I AM HEADING TO LOWES IN ABOUT 20 MINUTES TO FINALLY FINISH....I REALLY APPRECIATE IT.

17. Bullet Man

Bullet Man

i i called three different lowes in my area and they told me its not a stocking item and i'll have to go to their web site. i started my wife's car with dynamat but it looks like it will take another 300. to finish it. i might give the eastwood brand a try. it is alot cheaper and has good reviews.

18. Buzznut

Buzznut

I ended up getting three 32 inch x 18 inch sheets of Dynamat for $18 ea sheet and 12 ft x 6 feet piece of QuietRide from by brother-in-law for free. I was looking at P&S but looks like I have what I need. Anyone heard of QuiteRide?

19. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

UPDATE! From my post #164 The seam tape is made by Nashua Tape Products (USA Made in Franklin,KY) the Lowes sku # is 42366 99983 labeled Multi-Purpose Foil Tape 322 HVAC.It is EZ to apply and does a great job of selling the seams against "bleed through" that may happen later.

20. big creep

big creep

careful with that tape, it will leave your hands looking like you jerked off with razorblades! wear gloves!

JeffB2 likes this.
  21. 4dr orphan

4dr orphan
    from Michigan

For the sake of conversation, other than additional cost, is there anything to be gained (temp or sound reduction) by applying a second layer of the Lowes peel & stick to the inside of the roof? We have a large 40's era 4 dr sedan & I am looking to keep it cool in the interior. Is the peel & stick a good substitute on the floors? I am also thinking of spraying an aerosol bed liner on the inside of the fenders, inside the doors, & rear quarters. We've just completed a single layer of "Peel & Stick" to the entire roof.

Also for those who have made the trip to the Local Lowe's only to find it a not in stock item (as we did), our Lowe's was willing to order it (prepaid of course). Three rolls barely topped $49.00. Free shipping to your house for items over $48.00. Ours arrived in three days.

22. Cali Chevy

Cali Chevy
    from Clovis, CA

Lizard Skin sprayable ceramic insulation and sound control.
    you can find it for around $190 for a 2 gal. tub

http://www.lizardskin.com/

23. chopperwolf

chopperwolf

I did the homemade lizard skin and peel and seal, worked great, and it only set me back about 90 bucks.

24. johnod

johnod

I used the homemade lizard skin, fatmat, and E Z cool insulation,in that order, something has to work.

25. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

26. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

It is butyl so it should not smell, and heat resistance should be good. But where to buy it, and what is the cost?

M

27. 4dr orphan

4dr orphan
    from Michigan

I have applied a layer of Lowe's 'PEEL & STICK" to the roof. For the sake of thermal efficiency, I am considering the bubble sheet (with foil on both sides that Lowe's also sells) on the roof, over the peel & stick. We are planning to use the Vintage Air Gen IV & I want it cold enough to "hang beef" in the cabin. There's a lot of roof on this thing. First question is "Am I wasting my time & funds considering this additional layer? Second question would be "If I go ahead & do the additional layer, what type of adhesive would you recommend to affix this bubble layer to the peel & stick." I know I have 5 bows in the headliner to hold it up, but I would think there might be an issue between the bows. Can I have some input?
    1/2 Fast Eddie

28. big creep

big creep

some should do a tech on how to do the home made lizard skin, how does one do it?

29. gonmad

gonmad

There will be much more insulating value with the bubble foil than the peel & seal. That is more than anything a sound deadener, not so much for insulation even though there is a small bit of insulating value....small bit. I don't know about a roof,with that much heat from the sun, but if the fool is clean any kind of spray adhesive or two sided carpet tape should be sufficient to hold it between the bows since it isn't that heavy.

Or you could just run screws with big washers thru it to hold it up!!! LOL!!

30. Not much tech to it you buy a gallon of good quality exterior latex paint and about a lb of microspheres, mix carefully so you don't smash the microspheres and spray with shutz gun. Makes about 2 gallons of sprayable product.