Register now to get rid of these ads!

Screamin' small block in a Fairlane??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 58Fridge100, Sep 13, 2008.

1. OK- even though I have another unfinished project already in the works, i'm keeping an eye out for a '63 Fairlane as we speak.
    The '58 f100 i have now will make a great cruiser, but I know that I'm going to want something with some real kahunas as soon as it's road ready!

I absolutely love these cars, and can see one of these with perfect stance/ maybe a straight axle in front with skinnies, Hurst slicks in back, and a screamin little small block and 4 speed.(the one I'm looking at already has a 260 and manual trans setup-nice!)

I see Fox-bodied Fords that absolutely fly at the track-- like 9 and 10 second street cars!
    So-What's the formula?? can it be done for reasonable cost?? Anyone have something similar??
    Thanks

[​IMG][​IMG]

I'm not looking for a "real" 9 second street car......but would just like to go as fast as possible on a budget.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  2. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

SO what's the Formula?

The formula for any small block FORD...Let it breathe.

A good set of heads or some really good port work on a set of 351w or E7 heads.

3. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

An english guy in my area has a '64 Fairlane. It's a street car with a 347" and auto that runs 11.70's on drag radials.

4. Mizlplix

Mizlplix
    from S/W USA

The Fairlanes are somewhat heavier than the Fox/Mustangs. Think hood, doors, bumpers, deck lid ETC. I have owned several of both through the years and a lot of standard things apply.

1. Tie the subframes togather, 6 or 8 point cage depending on safety needed,

2. Polycarbonate windows except for windshield and gutted doors.

3. Cubic inches= 351W, (Tell everyone it is a 289, most cant tell the diff...LOL)aluminum heads, shorty headers are OK. Big cam and 11:1 comp on supreme gas with no more than 36 deg timing. Stroker kit if affordable....

4. Straight axles are for removal of shock towers and wrench room on big block engines. Stick to stock suspension unless you want the "Look".

5. 8" rear axle will work fine unless you are planning a lot of racing or just want 9" bragging rights.

6. Crites used to make good kits to move shock towers 3" wider apart for engine clearance, Fiberglass bumpers too.

7. Fuel cells look racey too. I think they add weight though....?

My idea of a really quick street car is a healthy stroked 351, TREMEC 5 speed, 4:56 / posi rear, sub frame connectors, Regular seats, carpet and fenders/wheelwells modifyed for large rubber. A real stock looking car that runs low 12 sec. passes.

5. Thanks fellas.
    So which is the better windsor motor? 302 or 351?
    Sounds like the 302 will take the RPM's alot better- is that right?
    I had no idea that you could run 11:1 compression on any kind of pump gas.....

6. How about fellow Hamber Tinglers farlane,,,HRP

[​IMG]

7. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

having gone this route with a falcon, same under the hood. 351 block, what ever trans, 9'' with slicks 4.56 rear. eng should be streetable, alum heads,crites long tube headers, and bumpers, crites alum rad,frame connectors and 8 point bar.

8. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

The advice above is well-considered. A few more points:

1. A later motor (six bolt bellhousing) will make parts availability much better.

2. If you want to drive it further than the local cruise joint, consider a five speed or AOD, so you can have low gears around town and tall gears for the highway.

3. Aluminum heads are available from a bunch of different sources, and while they cost a little more than factory heads, they have a good power-per-dollar ratio.

4. The guys that play with Mustangs (old ones or new ones) have a lot of knowledge and lore about how to make these motors honk.

Sounds like a really fun project; keep us informed as it gets designed and built.

9. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

A little extra info/help:
    They started the 6-bolt bellhousing in '65, so that's a very easy find.

I've found alot of good sbf build-up info on this forum: http://forums.corral.net/forums/

Malcolm

10. There is Nothing Cheap about building a Car like you want! <br> they all Cost a Lot of Money <br> Just my 2 1/2 cents

11. Glass_Packs

Glass_Packs

I believe the 6 bolt bellhousing came around in '66. If you decide to stick with the original 260 V-8, you could always go with a C4, as long as you use a bellhousing from a 1965 Ford (1965 was the only year for a 5-bolt C4 then Ford changed it to a 6-bolt in '66).

Tom - Glass_Packs

1962 Ford Fairlane - 221 V8/3-on-the-tree
    1962 Ford Fairlane (parts) - 221 V8/2-speed auto.
    1962 Mercury Meteor - 221 V-8/2-speed auto.

12. Velomech

Velomech
    BANNED
    from nunya

Man, go for it. That black one above looks like My pops old one. He had a 406 with SIX two barrels. It would only idle at 3000 RPM, was kickin out close to 500 HP, and would leave strips for a mile. And that was in the late 60's and early seventies!

Those cars are down right coooool. I have a 58 fairlane 500 interceptor, which to me, is just a little bit sexier.

Cheers and beers
    Hodge

13. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

289 rev till sun down IF they are balanced...a really good balanced aluminum flywheel and hardened rod bolts will keep it from coming apart.
    The 69 -74 351W truck blocks are the strongest.
    The 351w is wider and has a 1 inch high deck height.
    Under that 63-64 hood ther should be no problems.
    The 351w can be stroked up to 427 ci.
    So with the old saying "there is no replacement for displacement" The 351w can really kick up the HP an TQ.
    Crites can help shed the weight.

14. hey that's the Tingler from the friday Art Show-- cool!!

15. Hey thanks to everybody that weighed in on this.
    I checked out the Crites website-- VERY cool stuff. Thanks
    ...also located a motor over the weekend-- but it's a late model roller valvetrain 302...maybe I'll end up with a 5 speed// not period correct but still cool.
    like mentioned-- will help make it more streetable.
    A buddy of mine says that he can get me a 347 Eagle stroker kit-- Full rotating assembly includes bearings)- for around $800!
    Is it worth it??

16. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

A few pics of one I saw today.... Very nice car!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. That is one HELL of a nice sport coupe!!

18. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

I say get away from the stroker idea.
    All stroker kits are not creates equal.
    Punch the 302 .030 Forgerd piston with moly rings. balance the bottom end to weight of a gnats ass.
    hardened ARP rods and main bolts
    Then a nice set of after market aluminum heads and slap a vortec super charger on it ....like the era correct one in the pic.
    You will com close to exceeding the blocks capabilities but you will be very Happy.

19. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I have the twin to that one. Same color, California car, 5.0 HO with a 4 speed. Some day I'll have to finish it with fresh paint. The original paint is a bit faded.

I love the 63 sport coupes :)

Doug

20. Perhaps punch .020 or stay standard on a good block.Only guessing, no expert.
    This car with decent wilwoods/ seats/ belts /AOD- 5spd. would have potential as a tough and stylish street car.