Register now to get rid of these ads!

SCRAPPING Starters & Generators for COPPER

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Mar 30, 2013.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Is there an easy way to pull the copper out of a starter and generator for scrap, or is the time envolved not worth it? Just wondering if I'd make more money with the pile of copper vs. the whole unit. Bob

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  2. Provience

Provience

I just took some in, wasn't worth my effort to pull them apart. Just make sure to call a couple different places, rates had a decent variety here. Even between the same company but different locations.

3. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

In South Carolina ... you need a special permit to scrap copper :(
    This became necessary because of all the LOW LIFES stealing air conditioning units and copper from unlived in houses.

There have been a serious rash of thieves stealing the A/C from CHURCH buildings.

You have to be a REAL SCUM BAG to steal a A/C from the church.

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It only makes sense if you need more money for meth.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Sorry to read that Randy, dirtbags are ruining everything these days.

6. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

They were talking about that permit thing here to stop thievery. I don't know if it works or buying a permit will just bring in more money for the state.

You have to be a real lowlife to steal from anybody. :mad:

7. The tweekers have also been stealing telephone cable for the copper. They'll open a sidewalk box or manhole, tie a rope to the cable, then cut the cable there & at the next box. The other end of the rope will be tied to their truck. They just drive off & pull cable out of the conduit or duct. Roll up the cable & toss it in the truck. We go out on a cable failure and find out it's gone! Once in a while, somebody will hit power thinking it's telephone cable. Oops! Crispy critter!

Another douche bag stole the bronze vases from our local cemetery and tried to recycle them. The 1st few times he took some in, they paid him. He got caught when he brought in about 60 or 70.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

search google images for "copper thieves electrocuted". how stupid do you have to be to cut live wires from a building or telephone pole?

if they parked a cop car at the recycling places around here they would all be out of business in a month.

9. oldolds

oldolds

Most scrap buyers around here have a special price for electric motors, More than Iron and less than copper. Starters and such are motors. Makes it not worth the time to take them apart.

10. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Same thing at the graveyard where my Father and Mother are buried. Dad has a military bronze marker showing is was in the US Army. He and Mom are fairly close to the graveyard entrance ... so they have not messed with his. But they stole about 40 or 50 recently. :(:(

I hope that HELL has a special hot spot for those scum.

11. oltruckag

oltruckag

You may make more $ selling them on here or the bay. Last time i took in electric motors it was something like .21? a lb. Totally worth it if you are taking in old 50HP AHU motors, hardly worth the effort for a starter unless you have a barrel full of them.

12. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

That's the truth.. They like to steal truck batteries too.

13. Rpmrex

Rpmrex
    from Indiana

In our town there is a starter/alternator repair shop that will buy starters and alternators for more than scrap price.

14. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

The bare copper is worth more when separated and sorted. But as has been said, if your time is worth much it isn't worth doing. Motors, generators, alternators, etc are taken apart in countries where the people work really cheap.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  15. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I work at a scrapyard and all of our electric motors are shipped to China. I'm in maintenance and don't pay much attention to prices but I think copper prices are lower than they were at the height of the thefts. We video record and require identification on all non ferrous metal transactions.