Register now to get rid of these ads!

Scrapper Called

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PhilJohnson, Apr 17, 2012.

1. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

I've been trying to sell a rotted out 62 Rambler with a good motor for a little while now at scrap price. A gentleman calls me up and wants to buy the car for the motor. Cool, at least something will get used I think to myself. He wanted to know if I had any thing else old laying around. I mention that I have an old 51 Chevy dump truck and a 50 Chevy truck. The guy is hesitant to pull the trigger on the car since it is quite far away. A bit later I get another call, his buddy is interested in the other two trucks. He wants pictures of the trucks, I send a few. Tonight I get a call from the buddy, find out that he wants to scrap both of trucks and wants to send a truck out tomorrow on a 3 hour trip one way to pick them up. I would rather see someone take the cab off the dump truck and turn it into a tractor grilled S-10 framed abomination than to crush it. I have nothing against a guy trying to make an honest living but having saved the one truck from the crushers before I'm not about to send it to one now.

2. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Be dillagent those scrappers are a slippery bunch.

3. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Hope you dont sell it to the scrapper.

A good buyer will come, just be patient. I would be interested in the 50 chevy truck but I'm too far away. Just wait it out.

4. Please don't send them to scrap!!!!

5. macs67

macs67
    from oregon

Last week at the recycler was a 60 t-bird w/o eng/trans otherwise all there & rust free, a Lincoln w/ suicide rear doors all their & rust free, a mid 70's ? Plymouth p/u & a model a cut up, in the past its been tough to see chopped up model A's & T parts, loads of motorcycles & a 40 willys front axle that i took home. A local tow guy has a 64 Plymouth Valiant factory v/8 4 sp out in front that he was contracted to scrap & decided it was worth something...... after his men brokes out all the windows.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  6. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

if you get the money your asking for them it doesnt matter what the buyer does to them if you ask me.

7. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Advertise them for a while and if no joy pull the good motor and get his mate to pick 3 of them up. If its stuff just laying around and he's offered you decent money i'd be happy. You'd have given folks a chance to buy stuff and if no takers you know you've done your best. All depends if you need/want the cash or a pile of rusty stuff hanging around for ever. :cool:

8. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

they are absolutely everywhere and they dont give a damn about the historic value of anything. kind of sucks

9. CADILLAC AL

CADILLAC AL
    1. oHIo

i feel your pain brother. I've tried to sell my 47 Hearse project on & off for about 5 years at a dirt price & never get any bites. We are about to undergo a major remodel of the house & it has got to go one way or the other.
    Good Luck, Cadillac Al:cool:

10. rustang

rustang

Phil, where are you at in Central WI? Are the truck titled?
    Tom

11. el caballo loco

el caballo loco
    from colorado

look at it this way, they aren't eatin any hay just settin..... so let em, THE guy lookin just hasn't found em yet. : )

12. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

My 70s one ton weighed 6,000lbs. Scrap recently was $15 a hundred for steel. Pull the radiator, another $40. 6000/100=60x$15=$900 + $40 radiator $940.. what did you say you wanted for it? Scrap it yourself, put the money into something you love. I've been there, the county "code enforcement" made me sell a 1939 ford truck, a highly modified one ton tow vehicle and get rid of some more accumulated "stuff".

The Scrappers will "turn you into the county" and then knock on your door and offer to buy your old cars after they threaten you with court. If they are easy to get to? sometimes the meth heads will tow them off without asking you. I've seen quite a few old cars get pulled into the metal recyclers with a rope.

13. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Well that's why I said no before the money was exchanged. I prefer to sell things very far away because one I can't see what happens to it and two unless the vehicle is very heavy who ever buys it isn't buying it for scrap. I've made a habit of calling the scrap yard to see what scrap is going for and that is what I'll sell a car for. And while the high price of scrap has helped me make some coin off of the random junk I keep finding on my property it's also made finding an older car harder and harder.