Register now to get rid of these ads!

Scotchman iron worker questions???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bear Metal Kustoms, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

Does anyone have any experience with Scotchman or other brands of iron workers? I am thinking about getting one..Any suggestions for sizes or tooling you use most? I do have 3phase in my shop... I am looking at using it to make brackets and punching mount holes etc.. I have a few steering box mount and pedal mount ideas and want to start making all the brackets by breaking them instead of multiple pieces welded together...Jason.

2. wayne-o

wayne-o

I have a Piranha No. P50. Bought it used for 6K a couple of years ago with a lot of tooling including punches and a bending jig. Works great in our shop, the time saved not having to saw and drill parts is amazing, one of the best investmenst I ever made in equipment. Just the savings in band saw blades alone has probably has paid for the ironworker. Don't know much about Scotchman.

3. bct

bct

i've used an iron worker, not scotchman , but the same idea...i used every part of it...mostly the punch, sure is nice to walk up to it and have a 1/2" hole in 1/2" plate in 2 seconds, but the notcher and the shear get used and abused too...the break is as handy as it gets..the biggest problem is the cost and 3 phase...if you can manage that ...get one

4. WhoDoYouFink

WhoDoYouFink

We have a 65ton scotchman. It is great for alot of different things. I think ours with shear up to 1/2" flats, cut up to 5x5 angle, and punch a 1 1/8" hole in up to 3/4" steel. Scotchman sells a bunch of different dies from the factory, and they are resonably priced. We have had ours for 12 years now and have only had to have the shearing blade replaced once. very dependable machines.

5. 35WINDOW

35WINDOW

6. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks... I was looking at the Scotchman but maybe I will look around at a couple other brands first.... Seemed you could save lots of drill bits, cut off blades and bandsaw blades with one of these.. Jason.

7. lownrusty

lownrusty

Have had one for years, the scotchmans break is handy and has been trouble free, our pirana has had alot of problems .

8. Tman

Tman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Scotchmans rule. A pal has one and it is damn handy........plus they are made here in South Dakota in the little cowtown of Philip. By buying one you are supporting a small domestic company.

9. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

I have a Piranha P50. Bought it new 20 years ago. No problems in all that time. This machine was made in Iowa

10. plmczy

plmczy

I used to use a piranha at my last job I had, seemed to work pretty decent. I only ever used the shear portion of it though. The other guy's used the other parts of it on first shift. later shawn

11. Johnny99

Johnny99

I run a fab shop out west, 40 guys in our shop, our Scotsman ironworker gets the shit ran out of it and has been relatively trouble free, [its about 10 years old]. We also have a small Mubea ironworker, also a nice machine, I believe it was made in Germany. Stay with a common machine so you can buy dies and parts easily. Happy Easter Everbody John