Register now to get rid of these ads!

Scored a New Old Banger... What to Do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JunkOSC, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Not sure what direction I'm going to go... will drive the piss out of her for now. Thinking of lowering a little, removing the bumpers, put some juice brakes on, change out the tires (big/little). As money permits hop up that banger motor. I'm on the fence as to remove the fenders or not. Keep everything else as stock as possible.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  2. willymakeit

willymakeit

IMP leave the fenders and bumpers on and do the rest. Nice ride

3. I like the sound of your plans. I'd add to it, a stock '32 shell, '40s Ford steel wheels, and blackwalls.

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Did you buy that car from Wes at Industrial Chassis?

5. No. A dude name Tom. It was sitting up at Sam's (AZ Model A) on Gilbert and Chandler.

6. Fatbob309

Fatbob309

Thought I had seen it before. I got my DD Ram from that park. Love all the old cars that get parked there.

7. There are so many nice cars over there it just BLOWS me away!! Sam is a great guy as well.

8. 32-cabriolet

32-cabriolet
    from Gilbert Az

I stop there on my way home today to see it, & it not out front any more.....

9. davis574ord

davis574ord

pull the bumpers and fenders!

10. Ice man

Ice man

I was at the same impass. Sent the B crank away for (work) and turns out it took a year to return. In the mean time (NO WHEELS) A neighbor got drunk and wrecked her Jeep, she wanted it gone, so she offered it to me for free if it disappeared. Under the hood was a 2.5 4 Banger/5sp. Well long story, its in the 29 PkUp and running like a scalded dog and I'm loven it the more I drive it. Runs an ease 70. cruses at 60 all day, no oil leaks, no complaints, and the B engine is for sale. Gota be happy with your car, cause when its down to finger nails and grease, bottom line is its more fun driving then fixing. I'm 72 And it time to drive. Iceman

11. Kadalak

Kadalak

keep the fenders on,and slap some '40 steelies w/black walls.

12. Removed the bumpers and spare tire, washed, waxing, and degreased the car today. I ordered front and back reverse eye springs from Vern Tardel the other day; I will remove a couple springs up front and back when I install those. I have decided on 7.50-16 on the rear and 6.00 maybe 6.50-16 on the front; I need to see how low/hi it sits after reverse eye and spring removal. Will more then likely go with steelies... Fenders are staying!

Here a couple before and after shots of the cleaning job.

Attached Files:

13. tripmotors

tripmotors

i like it! i just got a 31 and this is a whole new world to me. everyone is talking about the 40 steelies, do you have pics of these wheels?

14. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

Like the wheels on my Coupe...

Attached Files:

15. Master of None

Master of None

I'd put juice breaks on and leave the rest, run it! Cool ride!

16. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

This A-Bone has to be one of the "THREE COOLEST MODEL A's" on the planet. DD[​IMG]

17. grego31

grego31
    from Sac, CA

Juice it, lower it, leave the fenders on and drive the piss out of it. That's what I did with mine.

18. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

HA!...thanks!

19. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

dang thats suhweet!! Drive it! Hop up tha banger maybe, it will run better witht the fenders. i get pissed when i see a set of fenders for sale off of a car they bought just to molest it. when theres pages of A's witht fenders already missing they could of bought!

20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Sounds like your on the right track! Love those cars mildly hopped, dropped, and unchopped! Been wanting a semi stocker '30 - '31 tudor for along time. If you want to steal some great ideas for stance and wheel and tire combo, check out any post from Chris, who is up in Spokane WA. His coupe is damn near perfect...

21. Lowbuckboz

Lowbuckboz

Mine is pretty much stock. Most fun I've had with a car.

[​IMG]

22. Yes, Chris has his finger on the pulse!

Nice car lowbuck...

23. Lowbuckboz

Lowbuckboz

Thanks 602, I appriciate it. Look up REMDAM, friend of mine that did a stock 29 sedan.

24. Kerry67

Kerry67

I wanna ride Tim !

25. Here are before and after shots of the front end lowered. I reversed the eye and removed 3 leaves. Lowered her 2-1/2"....rear is next.

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  26. grego31

grego31
    from Sac, CA

Looking good, that's how my car sits right now. How much you going to lower the rear and how are you going to do it?

Lowbuck, what size tires f&r are you running and how much did you lower it f&r?

27. Thanks! I am going to go with reverse eye and probable not remove any springs on the rear. I will be running 7.50-16 in the back, so I am going to wait to lower the rear until I put them on.

28. Latest update... I have removed the fenders, lowered the front and rear, installed a Reds header, Ansen intake, Stromberg 97, and a Smitty's muffler. Night and day difference from stock. I can truly say she's a hot rod now. Next will be rear end and trans... she gets up and goes, but top speed is limited.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010