Register now to get rid of these ads!

Score! Picked up valve equipment

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by orphanautomill, Dec 29, 2010.

1. orphanautomill

orphanautomill

My good ole dad hooked me up with some of his equipment that he doesn't use anymore. Score, Thanks dad !

Thor Seat grinder set

[​IMG]

Sioux valve grinder

[​IMG]

2. pcterm2

pcterm2

3. Deuces

Deuces

That valve grinder is a classic. You plan on restoring it???

4. Does anyone use that stuff much anymore? I got a shock at a state surplus auction last summer when the same machines that I learned valve work on at college, were there on pallets to be auctioned off. They brought fairly decent money, though.

5. seems like i don't use mine for a couple years and then get a "run" of valve work. i would guess modern car repair shops wouldn't bother.

6. orphanautomill

orphanautomill

I plan to restore it someday. Mechanically is is tight and a very good machine, a good cleaning goes a long way.

7. orphanautomill

orphanautomill

I can only think of 3 or 4 times we've ever used it, but it is handy and saves farming it out. I mess mostly with old Hudson in line engines, and it works great.

As far as value, I looked on @bay and these things seem to hold their value. It doesn't matter to me, its great functional garage art.

8. i just did the valves on a '41 hudson, mice had built a nest in the exhaust manifold. played wack-a-valve just to get them loose enough to remove.

9. orphanautomill

orphanautomill

The last time I used this was a 46 Hudson 8. The exhaust manifold was packed with acorns and nesting crap. Knocked out the stuck valves and cleaned them up, incredibly smooth running engine.

10. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

Where does one find replacement stones for those?

11. burnout2614

burnout2614

I got my last stones from Goodson. A good engine parts warehouse should be able to get them. peace

12. orphanautomill

orphanautomill

Dad hooked me up with some more goodies... Here is a spring tester, before and after a 1 hour "resto". Still need new glass for the gage

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting ready to do a valve job soon on a straight 8, so gotta get this stuff in order :)