Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical School me on small block fords.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, May 16, 2020.

1. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I was raised around old fords but never had sbf( y blocks. I 6, flatheads) I don't think I need the headache of trying to piece a sbf together.

texasred and JUSTIN PERSINGER like this.
  2. JUSTIN PERSINGER

JUSTIN PERSINGER

I agree, it was a headache. I am working on a 312 Y block right now and it is a walk in the park. I really like the Y blocks!

Sent from my XP8800 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. RmK57

RmK57

So the SBC from 1955 to into the late 90's all interchange the same starter, motor mounts, bell housing, flex plates, pulleys,water pumps and more?

4. No.
    First year or 2 (maybe) didn’t have side mount bosses cast in the block or oil filter. Early intake port size is smaller causing intake swap issues.
    Early heads had staggered valve cover bolts. Short and long water pumps and pulley .and bracket difference. A few different balances. Oil pan differences. Dip stick side issues. Heads swap but some compression issues when swapping some. Reverse flow WPs. Bearing sizes/small -large journal cranks.
    400s had steam holes in the heads, larger mains and a different balance.
    A few different starters and flywheels. Rear main seal differences.
    But the GM guys act like one starter and alternator fits em all.
    bellhousing bolt pattern will swap but there are different sized center hub sizes. Vortek intake difference.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  5. George

George

Not "considered" ! The so called 64 1/2 Mustangs are VINed as '65. Therefore there are '65s with the 5 bolt bells, though they were actually made "early" during the '64 models.

loudbang likes this.
  6. 'Back in the day', nobody blinked an eye if a firewall needed to be hacked to drop in a new-fangled OHV V8.

Now it's 'A SBF?? You'll have to mod the firewall!!! Oh the HORROR!!!".... Sheesh, put on your hot rod pants guys...

7. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

"Not "considered" ! The so called 64 1/2 Mustangs are VINed as '65. Therefore there are '65s with the 5 bolt bells, though they were actually made "early" during the '64 models."

Pesky Moustangs. They oughta be off topic here.

8. George

George

They are, but when you're talking parts & what works and don't work....