Register now to get rid of these ads!

School me on Robert Williams Prints Please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fargoguy, Jan 2, 2006.

1. fargoguy

fargoguy

OK, so a buddy of mine today hands me a shipping tube while i'm over at his house, and says he doesn't want these, and he thought i would like em. Turns out they're 4 poster size prints done by Robert Williams. They're on Extrememly heavy stock.
    1- 20th anniversary of International Championship auto shows from 1980- lots of cool show rods on it
    2- Devil with a hammer and hell with a torch- kind of a tribute to the great kustomizers
    3- Dueces wild- the history of the 32 ford
    4- a race scene with two highboy roadsters in the foreground and a 40 ford coupe flying through the air behind them

I've never heard of these or seen them before. A couple of them are cool, but are they valuable? I would probably just put em away for later,but maybe i should sell em? I 've never heard of this artist before and would appreciate your opinions. Thanks, Evan

2. 97

3. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Cool prints. Any pix?

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

4. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

He’s the self proclaimed father of the "ratrod" movement. :rolleyes:

5. DirtyTace

DirtyTace

I'd say that Robert Williams has reached legendary status at this point. I do believe I read somewhere that he may be responsible for the genesis of the Rusto-Rod (not rat-rod) with his nearly famous '32 roadster. Anyway, I have several of his prints. I don't think they are like Picassos or anything. Hang 'em up and enjoy them. My father had several examples of his work. One memorable one was an oldies compilation on wax (records). Each side of the disk had a different print. Really cool stuff. Remember the Inside cover of Gun's and Roses "Appetite for Destruction"? The picture of the robot standing over a young lass with her panties down is his work! They even swiped the name for their album from Williams' print. Extremely influential in rodding and music. Find out more about him.

6. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

"I 've never heard of this artist before and would appreciate your opinions."

The guy is an OK artist but who would use a regular name like Robert Williams? LOL
    Robert Williams is in most folks opinion maybe the best Kustom artist out there. Devil with a hammer and "The race scene" are two of his most popular... My favorite is "Armwhacker"
    Unsigned the prints go for about 60 bux each. Signed go higher. Originals are priceless....

7. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

.........editor of Juxtapoz magazine and close personal friend of Johnny Ace...........*duck*...........:D

8. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

that deuces wild poster is in mass abundance in the world, I'll give you 5.00 for it:D

9. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

Is that 5 in Canadian or American? hahaha

10. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

5.00 US that should cover the shipping eh?:D

11. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

When I'm traveling, I always try to stop at a Bohumphrey station so I can play Bahama Bucks...

12. bizcoupeguy

bizcoupeguy

i grew up in my dad's shop looking at those very prints, haven't made it around to finish my own garage and pick up those prints. very cool artistry, not like the bullcrap published in the ol skool kook mag or the ol skool owned ck deluxe, probably the worst art ever published is found in those mags regularly.

13. keep em and enjoy them, they are not rare. he was at the primer nats and the moon xmas show selling them......so even if they were signed i don't think they would be rare. i have 11 of them for about 14 years (only 2 of them are kinda rare because they're numbered and signed).

14. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member