Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods School Me On Paint Schemes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speed Gems, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Since i'm a youngin around here (43 almost 44) I've always wondered what era these paint scheems represent. Mid'60's, Late '60's, or even early '70's or do i have a couple different era's going on here? would this be coinsidered "Period Correct" for something like the Meltdown Drags? I assume it would since @Quain Stott has his Willys painted up in the same "block" style graphics.
    002-back-to-the-50s-gassers.jpg 014-back-to-the-50s-gassers.jpg 11025770_1565700167003819_4650842353705682471_n.jpg 11025770_1565700167003819_4650842353705682471_n.jpg hrdp_1009_01_o+hot_rods_past_feature_cover_cars+1955_chevy.jpg IMG_20160618_175925.jpg IMG_20160618_180130.jpg scan0115.jpg

2. If your only concern is making it into the Meltdown then you'll be fine with panel paint jobs like these. I could be wrong but I want to say Dean Jeffries started the panel paint type of design in the early 50's although it had flames or scallops in the panels.

loudbang and Speed Gems like this.
  3. A lot of older rods got treated with the latest trends in paint many years after they were hatched. The year of the vehicle and the year of the paint job were often not a match. So the same car can be found with lots of later fads in paint.
    I like the example photos in the O.P. Not a thing wrong with them. But this forum is an encyclopedia of paint schemes. Just check them out and pick a winner to inspire where you take yours.

loudbang and Speed Gems like this.
  4. fortynut

fortynut

If you go faster than everbody else, I would think you could get a bet down there would be a buncha gasoline alley cats brewing up color schemes so close to yours, seeing them on the line, the audience in the stands would need a program to tell who's who. There was more paint schemes the further into the sixties, on account of people seeing more colors. And, sign painters slinging paint were part of the same crowd seeing colors. Besides that Bubba, race cars have been bright and colorful with different zones to better present the number, that identifies the rig and driver since racing was in diapers. In the South just ask who was number 3. Or is number 8. But be advised if you are a poseur and you have a number on you car, and don't compete, it will be seen like stolen glory. Did I answer your question, or give you a cause for asking more questions? I have an idea you need to read more about the history of various motor sports and look at more era specific images. There is a lot of those here in posts, some with thousands of pages. Stop, look, and listen before you cross the street, the teacher used to say. Same preface applies to learning, especially about car junk of all flavors. Many in the mix on the best library of common sense solutions to damn near anything you ever wondered about pertaining to traditional hot rods, flapdoodles, strip downs, Jalopies, gow jobs, and others I have missed. Good Luck on your progress as you move up the bell curve. It all takes time and money and the kind of determination that let US put a man on the moon.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018

5. BJR

BJR

Late 60's early 70's.

Just Gary and Speed Gems like this.
  6. Graystoke

Graystoke

I lived through that time. I'd say the first 55 Chevy could fall into late 50s class and the others to late 60s to 70s.

7. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Around this neck of the woods in the late 50's way up into the 60's most of the "panel" paint jobs were either red or black primer over nose and deck work or more often than not covering bondo and pieces of an old screen door rust "repairs" Some of the older guys had real paint jobs but my HS buds and I were always broke and had to do what ever we could to have cool cars. As I remember the late 60's up until about the mid 70's was the panel paint fad. I never really got into it but some cars looked OK panel painted I guess.

8. Gman0046

Gman0046

Lace, panels, pastels, scallops and graphics are all a thing of the past. No way I'd put that stuff on any car I own.

Gary

9. Watson was doing panel paint jobs in the '50s and the trend continues to this day.

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

There was a time when I thought the lace jobs were a little lame, and I kind of agree with you, I would not do a new build with it.
    The instance where I might "surrender" would be if I happened to have a car with significant history and it just had to be returned to its glory days.

11. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Well I’m the opposite, I have cars that are paneled , scalloped, but then I’m stuck in that era . I put way to modern drivetrain for this forum. But the cars exteriors are what I either had or wanted after I got home from Vietnam. I now have more cars than sense.

12. You do understand what this site is about right? :rolleyes:

Speed Gems likes this.
  13. Gman0046

Gman0046

Those paint shemes were FUGLY back in the day and are just as FUGLY today.

Gary

Speed Gems likes this.
  14. pitman

pitman

Beauty, is in the eye. The blue Willys looks right, to my painter's eye. To the OP, great question, and opinions, if we agreed, the boredom would suffocate!
    And aye, Fortynut!