Register now to get rid of these ads!

school me on Lincoln Y-blocks... 341ci

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddylama, Dec 8, 2007.

1. daddylama

daddylama

searched, and didn't really come up with much...

ok... got a 341 (as far as i can tell), from a Canadian car (if that means anythng). it was free, only for the price of listening to this guy's story about his life and why the popularity of sail boat racing was destroyed by fiberglass boats. i have no idea what he was talking about... i was just trying to get out of there without being skinned (creepy guy, creepy place)

it's complete save for the exhaust manifolds and carb, looks like it's been kept dry since it was pulled from the car something like 20 years ago when the car was going to be restored. the guy no longer has the car, gave me the engine just to get it out of the way.

until recently, i had no idea lincoln y-blocks were different from ford y-blocks. is it worth the headache of rebuilding and using? i'd imagine it would scoot the little truck along fine (never-ending '28 dodge brothers project). no intent on racing it, and like the idea of an odd motor. i've run stranger... but like i said, know nothin' 'bout the lincoln y-blocks...

school a brother!

thanks,

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I don't know anything much about them, but i have a 368 and if and when I ever get my '52 Stude pickup done to the point of putting the Packard engine in it, I will put the Lincoln in where the Pack came out of. It looks like a pretty neet motor to me. Your not going to get a cool intake from the Summit cataloge. But that's half the fun.

3. daddylama

daddylama

i like havin' an uncommon mill... makes for a bit more interest.

one thing i might note: this thing is missing the distributor.
    guy said he has it somewhere, but i'd have to look for it. i think it's a ploy to get me back there... not happening. i'll search high and low elsewhere, where i don't need to hear a 4 hour tirade against fiberglass and about how his ex wife ran off with some biker (as i zip up my jacket to hide the BSA shirt).

4. bgbdlinc

bgbdlinc

5. cornernfool

cornernfool

Distributer and oil pump swap between Ford and Lincoln if they are the same drive type (hex drive or screwdriver type). Look down the hole and see what you have. I have some extra distibuters. I've also modified one from a 5.0 mustang, but you need the Lincoln shaft to do it. Does the moter have a trans? Those are Lincoln only also and they were pretty much all automatics. If you want to run a stick, I just finished modifeing a 390 bell for mine. I have fixtures for that or I have some automatics for sale also. Intakes are hard to find and expensive. I'm currently reworking one from a early Olds to fit, there pretty damn close. PM me if you have questions, good luck, Mike.

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

This should perk it up.

7. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

man you have the "oddity" of lincoln y's. It may be possible that the 341's had the crankshaft drilled for a pilot bearing. If so you may be able to get a hydro out of a 52-54 Lincoln and bolt it up to the 341. Then you might have a real nice setup for your project.

8. bgbdlinc

bgbdlinc

9. daddylama

daddylama

cool, thanks for the replies!

i'm gonna tear down the engine (well, when i actually get a chance) and check it out. if'n it looks usable, this will likely be the mill for my project. stock rebuild, maybe a 4bbl, make some wacky headers, and it'll be golden.

i'm done with automagics, prefer to row my own... sure a truck bellhousing shouldn't be hard to find, from there it'll all be downhill. except for all the little things that get in the way...
    the crankshaft is drilled for a pilot bushing, which is actually one of the reasons i wanted the motor to begin with. oh, that and it was free :)