Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods School me on Buick Nailheads please.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lothiandon1940, Oct 24, 2018.

1. There's a lot of bad info in this post...........I'm not a Nailhead expert but I have a few and I do my own work on them. Parts are not difficult to find....Nailheads DO NOT have BOP transmission bolt patterns. Many parts interchange between motors. Buick bellhousings have chevy trans bolt patterns. and Nailheads are great motors........... P1010156 (1).JPG

2. Jmos4

Jmos4

Hi,

Sorry, but you're incorrect on bell housing pattern, there are 2 true distributor in the rear nailhead patterns.

53-56 322/264 pattern
    57-66 364/401/425 pattern this pattern is on AMC and have heard Rolls Royce but have no personal knowledge.

BOP is Buick motors 64 up with the distributor in the front, 64 330 style Olds and 63ish/64 on up Pontiac, also believe the later 67 maybe 68ish Caddy used that pattern as well

Chevy is on it's own and not the same as a nailhead

People like to label the early 215, 300 and 340's as baby nailheads, in truth other than the valve covers looking similar to real nailheads not much of any is interchangeable.

I am no expert, but owning one for a number of years does a wonder on the education of them

Try V8buick.com for a lot of good info, and assistance

And they do run well, as some say better than they should,.

Regards,

3. All I can say is you will torque up the ass. Make sure your driveline is up to it. I had a nail head in a 52 Ford and it ripped the traction bars right off the frame. Of cores I was a wild and crazy kid back then.:p I also bent push rods quite often.:(

4. NailheadDeuce

NailheadDeuce

Some info is correct. Some is not. I've done my homework. Nailhead rear engine flange profile/bolt pattern is unique. Plus Buick went with a separate flexplate for ATs in 1964. Previously starter ring gear was welded to torque converter (Dynaflow) thus requiring a starter with longer snout. ST400s were used in full-sized Buicks and Rivieras with Nailhead. ST-300s were used in Skylarks/GS with Nailhead. They are entirely different transmissions. 300s are hard to find. 001.jpg I wanted a period-correct engine in my Deuce, so I swapped a SBC/TH350 (yawn) for a 401NH and ST-300. Custom engine rebuild; dyno'd at 450 lb/ft torques @ 3100rpm and 350hp. Lots of fun.

5. jbarker

jbarker

On the subject of nailheads, my friend has a 65 skylark GS. Nice cruiser. Still has the switch pitch trans but its obvious it doesn't work as it should. It's getting converted to a 200-4r very soon.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. Bell housings are 53 to 56
    57 to 63
    64 to 66
    And are nailhead only .
    Nothing else will fit and
    they will not fit anything else.

7. bchctybob

bchctybob

450 lb/ft of torque at 3100, wow, great for a peppy street car especially in a 2400 - 2600 lb coupe!

8. They make adapters to put turbo 350 ,400,700r4 And 200r4 I have the original 3 speed behind my 322 im looking for a 56 Pontiac tail shaft or whole tranny i have the factory floor shifter. It'll also fit the pontiac

Sent from my SM-G928T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. iafraser39

iafraser39
    from Warmland

I have 2 drivers side exhaust manifolds with a rear dump.
    PM me if interested

10. Al,

I have searched all through my stash and can only find Riviera manifolds that have the rear dump. Let me know when your gonna start getting stuff together to put that thing in your 32. I'd love to head down and help!

Jason

11. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

12. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^^ Fellas, thanks for checking your Buick manifold inventories.
    Jason, we aren't looking for Riviera exhaust manifolds; based on my research, I believe were looking for both manifolds from a 1959-1960 Buick LeSabre or Electra or other model that had one tail pipe.
    After studying pictures of my gasser manifolds, I think the casting number on the driver side is 196525 and the passenger side is much harder to see but looks like the last three digits are 502 or maybe 602.
    The 196xxx numbers are found for a 1961 Buick 364 or 401 engine. The xxx602 is used on 1959-1960 364 and 401 engines; the same manifold is used for the right side whether duals or non-dual pipes.
    I need to get a Buick club directory and contact somebody with these year cars to get some pictures and hopefully confirm or correct these numbers.
    Opportunities! We'll find them... I hope!
    In other news, I recleaned the spark plugs and tried to start the 425 again but no luck; even after a rigged a bypass to get 12V to coil while starting. Ordered new cap and rotor that should be available later today and bought a second set of spark plugs.
    The new carbs are getting it plenty of gas. It trys but won't quite catch and run.
    More later.
    Al
    PS Jason thanks for the offer to help with shoehorning the 425 into the cabriolet but it has to fun first. If the 425 has problems, I may just use the 401. I won't forget your offer or the others that want to participate as well.

13. C76F0087-5C93-4FFF-98AE-89A667D7FD90.png

These are on my local Kijiji might be what you need?

14. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Thanks, Vandenplas, for the tip. The one on far right looks like it might be the one used on the passenger side of my gasser. I sent my contact info so guess have to see how this works. Is that guy close to you?
    Thanks again,
    Al
    PS Still haven't found a 1959-1963 LeSabre to check for driver side manifold to see just what year and model might be a match for the manifold used on my gasser.

15. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

To keep all informed, the manifold that really looked like what we wanted was already sold.
    Thanks to all of you for trying to help find exhaust manifolds for my engine change.
    BTW, I replaced the cap and rotor today, along with installing the correct factory fuel filter---it has a bypass outlet that keeps from overloading the carbs. The one I was using did not have that provision so was overloading the carbs and thus the engine.:eek: That change seemed to help as it got closer than ever to running but not quite there. Also pumps a fair amount of gas out that bypass line.;) Should have done it that way from the start... I'm a dummy.:D

16. ..............Not at all, Al, not at all.

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  17. riseabove_xxx

riseabove_xxx
    from Michigan

I’m putting a Nailhead into a ‘37 Ford truck. Do you have any pictures or hints you could share with me?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

18. BigChief

BigChief

Yup....we like them. Did a couple 364s, 401s and this nice gem. 20181120_174750.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

1pickup, mgtstumpy, gggholson and 3 others like this.
  19. patterg2003

patterg2003

Hamtown Al, I saw your post where you say you need to get a Buick club directory and contact somebody with these year of cars to get some pictures and hopefully confirm or correct these numbers.
    I saw the casting numbers comment. There is information posted on the Buicks.net site that may help identify the castings numbers vs year for parts that you may have or need.
    http://www.buicks.net/shop/reference/nailhead_casting_numbers.html
    http://www.buicks.net/shop/reference/nailhead_casting_numbers_p.html

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    Hamtown Al and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. No particular hints, but a few of things to be aware of: the starter is on the driver side - you will need to clear the steering column - mine has a Saginaw power steering box with a GM-type column - strongly recommended with the extra weight of the Nailhead. Ditto for from power disc brakes. Headers can be a challenge - see Al's posts above. I have custom tubular headers - pricey but less complicated. You will need to cut the firewall a bit.....depends on how low and far forward you place the engine - mine is fairly low and forward, so only minor firewall mods. Front motor mounts on mine are fab'd up - do not know if anyone sells pre-made mounts - fairly easy job. The trans mount (I have an ST400) is fab'd, but easy to make. Generator and PS pump are mount above to clear everything - modified Buick brackets.

As for pix, let me know what you need and I can try to send some.......use the PM mode rather than gum up this thread.

21. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

patterg2003, thanks for links. I already had printed one of them as well as another ref sheet from HotRodReference.com. The good news is I believe I can use the current manifold on the passenger side. I think it will work or be dang close.
    The main hunt, since the beginning, was to find the manifold for the driver's side and your reference sheets will help.
    DSC_0908 (2).JPG
    I have tried to blow this picture up, use a magnifying glass, and prayed a lot about just what the casting number is on this manifold but am not sure what it it. My best guess is 196525 with a one somehow before that to get the right number of digits. I found this manifold in a 1960 Buick LeSabre ad:
    ref 1960 Buick LeSabre Wenatchee WA dual exhaust pipes.jpg
    This car had dual exhaust. It sure looks like it to me. As long as it dumps in the same location as my gasser, it should work no matter what the casting number turns out to be.
    ref 60 electra 225 driver side 1 (2).jpg <==This one was on a 1960 Electra 225 driver's side and it looks to be the same.
    Casting numbers for 1959-1960 Buicks list left side numbers of 1185603(non-dual) or 1186291 for dual tailpipes.
    1961 Buick 364 and 401 engines used 1196457 on left side.
    I was told that many of the LeSabres had single exhaust and they seem to dump in the same location.
    I'm still hunting and greatly appreciate all the help and tips.
    Hunting Hamtown Al

22. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

ref 1960 buick electra 225 with driver side down but back.jpg ref 1960 buick electra 225 with driver side down but back.jpg Well, this is a 1960 Buick Electra 225 manifold but it points back and not down. Dang!
    The one below is a 1961 Invicta passenger side that at least dumps straight down but is not the same as the one above on the gasser.
    ref 1961-buick-invicta-pass side.jpg

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    mgtstumpy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

ref 425 pass exh manifold.jpg DSC_0911 (2).JPG
    Thought I'd fill you in on the passenger side manifold hunt. The first manifold is a picture of a manifold that is like what is ALREADY on my 425 engine! That is not my engine--mine has BUICK cast valve covers. Looks like the one in the gasser to me. At any rate, I'm going to start with what I have on the passenger side.
    Back to the hunt for a driver's side manifold. The 1960 LeSabre still looks like best hope for a match.
    Thanks for the continued interest and help,
    Al

24. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

ref nailhead firing order.jpg
    NOTE: Number one is on passenger side!:eek: This is a key point all should remember.;)
    Don't ask me why I say that!:D

PS Still no driver's side manifold located.:(

25. ............Thanks, Al. Good thing to remember. Yet another thing I didn't know about these engines.:cool:

26. ..................I did mention that I've lived a rather SBC sheltered life.:D;)

27. AL - I got a shop manual for a '65 Wildcat........came in handy over the past 17 years!! (Hint!!)

28. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^I'm pretty sure I've got all the old Motors manuals from my dad's service station but they're stored elsewhere.
    It is one of those basic things just we sometimes forget to check because we think we know!
    BTW, Buick specs say that generally all of the big Buick engines of the day got timed at 2.5 degrees BTDC; however the ones with two four barrels were set at a full 12 degrees BTDC!! That is just half a degree short of 5 times the other engines!

29. 1pickup, mgtstumpy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  30. nailed31

nailed31

These shots are not my, I copied them from the internet and wish I could quote the fellow who sacrificed a cylinder head for the rest of the world's education and appreciation!
    Just like racing, all it takes to build a Nailhead is the willingness to spend money.
    The Penta roof cylinder chamber eventually made it's way into many engines for it's efficiency and focused force directing the explosive force against the Piston. This is the next best configuration to the hemi. Valve shrouding is the Achilles heel of the design. The narrow design of the runners increased port speed at the expense of volume. Thus creating bottom end torque that pulls like a freight train to 4k rpm and an asthmatic in the top end.
    These engines had big balls balls. So much they were used as starters for the SR-71 Blackbirds. Yeah how's that for bragging rights.
    Well all this torque was packaged up for Grandma to buy in her Sunday church cruiser. Well little ol grandma couldn't push the brake pedal hard enough to stop her land yacht in time. So how did the engineers keep the rest of society safe from Grandma destroying everything? Did they lesson the torque or downsize the engine? Hell no, this is America when America had real cars the thought of snowflake millennials wasn't even born yet! Buick engineers came up with the switch pitch torque converter! This thing disengages as the brakes are applied (similar results to punching the clutch as you come to a stop).
    Nailhead are cool and were the test bed for much of gm engine technology to come. They're cool, powerful and expensive. tapatalk_1479455356710.jpeg tapatalk_1479455379728.jpeg tapatalk_1479455352721.jpeg tapatalk_1479455336602.jpeg tapatalk_1487531988582.jpeg

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

1pickup, j-jock, gary terhaar and 5 others like this.