Register now to get rid of these ads!

School me:early 60's T-Birds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hot rod wille, Oct 31, 2010.

1. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

Looking at a couple early 60's T-birds--63--66. I know almost nothing about these things,but love the look.I do mostly hot rod's / 55-57 Chevys,so any info would help. Mostly looking for brake upgrades--this will be an everyday car,and the wife will also drive it.Also, engine / trans ---what do they come with--what can be EASILY swapped,if need be. I hate to sound like an idiot,but I'd rather learn from someone who knows.

2. dave s

dave s

im not an expert on them, but my girlfriend has one as her daily driver. its a 62. hers has the 390 w/ automatic 3spd. im not sure they came with standards. the brakes are power, and stop the car very well(as well as discs would). im not sure about interchangeability of motors, but the 390 is a big(size) motor, so with some work lots of other motors would fit in its place.

3. R Pope

R Pope

Any 63-66 T-Bird I ever saw had a FE engine, 352 or 390. A 428 will bolt right in, using the same trans and mounts, accessories, exhausts, etc.
    A 460 would be nice! But you'll need the transmission that goes with it, the FE bell pattern is unique.

4. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Had a few. Nice cars IMO. 64 was last drum brake but stopped good. The 65 had the
    big calipers. Had to run a spacer for the early straight spoke Americans. The new
    style should fit. Never had any trouble with them. A 428 will bolt in and does hall
    ass. I still like the looks.

5. squirrel

squirrel

Old luxury cars have a billion fancy widgets that need to be fixed all the time. The drum brakes are good, but they do wear out, and parts are not as cheap/available as you'd like. At least the cars are not very expensive. I'd spend a lot of time shopping around to get just what you want, get one in great condition.

6. Yutan Flash

Yutan Flash
    from Gretna, NE