Register now to get rid of these ads!

Scheiffer flywheel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 61bone, Apr 17, 2009.

1. 61bone

61bone

Picked up a aluminum flywheel that has what appears to be a sintered bronze insert. Anybody have any idea what kind of disc it should have? It is drilled for a borg beck clutch.
    Thanks guys.

2. Duntov

Duntov

From 1960 - 1963, I used a 12 lb. Scheiffer aluminum flywheel with the bronze insert in my '56 Chevy DelRay 2-door sedan. I used the same flywheel in my '59 Impala again in 1964 - 1967. The steel or bronze insert acts as a heat shield to prevent warping the aluminum flywheel. I used a Scheiffer bonded and riveted disc with organic facings on both sides. I later installed a Zoom bonded and riveted disc with organic facings. The aluminum flywheel and bronze insert seemed to be hard on discs for some reason.

A modern McLeod 800 Series bonded and riveted disc would be the one to use with that type flywheel. That McLeod disc has organic lining on the pressure plate side and kevlar lining on the flywheel side. Be advised, the steel or bronze insert is serviceable and will wear out. I had to replace the bronze insert twice in six years of street and strip use. The bronze insert and disc needed replacing by the time I sold my '59 Impala in 1967.

3. 61bone

61bone

Thanks for the info. I would guess that finding a replacement liner would be in the class of unobtainium. I guess i"ll just run it till then then make a clock out of it. Just one more question. Was it a smooth clutch or a grab an go?