Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Scattershield on a Chevy 235/261 6-cylinder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BHR301, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Hoping someone out there has already done this...trying to figure out the best way to adapt a small block Chevy Lakewood bell housing to a Chevy 235/261 inline...Nostalgia street gasser project that will occasionally be run on NHRA drag strips so it needs to be legal.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm going to say that you will have to machine an engine plate aka plate that bolts to the back of the 235 block that the bellhousing will bolt to.
    The good news there is that half the work might already be done with one of the thicker V8 Chevy to BOP trans adapters that is the right thickness to pass muster. That would give you the V8 patten and you just have to drill the 235 pattern once you get the measurements right.

You might want to ask Tom Langon if he will sell just the plate without the flexplate
    http://www.langdonsstovebolt.com/st...apter-235-and-261/p/1396439/category=18665953 That would make it a bolt on outside of maybe having to have a special pilot bushing that extended the thickness of the plate extra from the back from crank.

Looking at this https://st.hotrod.com/uploads/sites/21/2018/03/NHRA-Racing-Safety-Rules.pdf Will the 235 be quick enough to need a scattershield? Or are you running a power adder that requires one?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  3. Casual 6

Casual 6
    from Great NW

BHR301 - Do yourself a favor and contact "Buffalo" at Buffalo Enterprises:

25625 Dahl Rd
    Arlington, Washington 98223

Phone (360) 652-7684

He's been making 235/261 to SBC transmission adapters forever and is a wealth of knowledge about the early Chevy engine and transmission combinations. His adapter is what you use to adapt the 235/261 engine to a SBC scattershield.

You usually have to leave your contact number when you call, because he is a one-man-shop. But he will call you back and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

4. Thanks both of you, you just confirmed what I was already thinking...as for needing it, in 1962 I had a clutch & flywheel blow up in my 261 powered gasser, home built 1/4" steel scattershield held most of it, but I don't want to go through the floor repairs again as well as the new shorts I needed!