Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Scattershield ID Chevy to Buick Olds Pontiac? Ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BOSTONCAMARO, May 4, 2015.

1. So I got this bellhousing and the guy thought it allowed the use of a Ford trans to a SBC or vice versa. I am thinking from the color it may be a McLeod? is there anywhere on the bellhousing that McLeod would have stamped a part number? I will also take more pics, took this tonight when I got it back to shop.

I appreciate the help. I am baffled....

Regards, Tim

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

not sure what you're asking...are you wondering if that really is a Ford transmission bolt pattern?

This might help.

tdtrans1.jpg

3. stimpy

stimpy

call them and they should tell you . most of them any type of stamping will be on the mounting lip to the engine , but most do not as the letter or Id stamping can start a stress riser that can cause failure when its is needed most mot are stickered , and also the pint color was a give away on who made it , Black was B&M ,MCleod should be red , cannot remember who made the cadium plated ( yellow ) ones but they were popular too .

4. James Curl

James Curl

The engine end appears to be round which could be flathead Ford or early hemi. if it bolted directly to the engine. An adapter plate could have been used between the scatter shield and the engine block. I am not much help here.

5. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I have one that looks very similar to that and it is a "fitzall" no joke. It fits Chev. Buick, Pont. Olds. engines and GM and Ford trans. I use it on my home made engine stand. The quality of the bolt hole alignment is not that great.

Pat

6. squirrel

squirrel

As far as the engine side, it looks like Chevy and BOP bolt patterns, plus a couple extra holes (probably to hold the block plate on?)

7. yeah the guy thought it would allow chevy to ford and vice versa ie ford motor gm trans mcleod also made a lot of plated ones...i will clean it up see if i find a part number, it may be a fitsall

8. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

If you can't find an answer, bring it over to my place and we'll see if it fits up to my flathead bell/trans or maybe even my LaSalle (which would be mint but doubtful).

9. squirrel

squirrel

I don't see any Ford bolt patterns on the engine side.

10. i took more pics cant seem to post via iphonep

11. squirrel

squirrel

12. that must be it

13. bolt patterns are there for buick olds pontiac along with chevy

14. stimpy

stimpy

won't fit a pontiac as the pontiac starter is on the drivers side and it would have a big lump there for the nose gear .

15. ok thanks could it fit olds? buick?

16. the factory BOP bell that i matched up the bolt pattern with seems to have starter pockets on both sides maybe driver is for pontiac and pass for others ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1430944543.573192.jpg

17. squirrel

squirrel

It's been a while since I worked on an Olds or a Buick. Or a Caddy. but...I seem to recall that Olds is on driver side, buick and caddy are on pass side

18. thanks interesting bell for sure i stripped it resprayed it looks real nice now

19. stimpy

stimpy

olds are d/s too. Buick is pass side . Caddy it can be in many spots ,the O/t northstars under the intake manifold

20. thanks for the help, it is pretty cool looking wish i had a use for it right now but dont ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1431093441.003798.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1431093454.438118.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1431093468.340042.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1431093478.157982.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1431093487.088496.jpg