Register now to get rid of these ads!

scarliner ...... intro

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scarliner, Sep 9, 2003.

1. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

Hello, to everyone on the HAMB.
    I have been watching from the shadows long enough! Seems there are many others out there, that have the same sickness I have had,most of my life, a strong over whelming attraction to things that have wheels,are way to loud and scream HEY LOOK AT ME! when it comes by at 100 m.p.h.
    As for me, I have a great family, wife of 26 years and three great kids, 23-20-and 12 years of age.I say great kids because today I have had my phone off all day and they cant reach me! Just kidding--KIDS-- you gotta love"m.
    I have worked most of my life as a toolmaker, I had a four year try at running a auto parts salvage yard that I had to give up due to lack of bread---just like the Greatful Dead.

I cant remember the first time I was stricken with "THE ILLNESS" but I do know it was at a very young age and I guess theres no cure in site.Learned what little I know about cars from being the youngest of eight kids and it seemed due to my older brothers.we always had plenty of junk cars with blown motors ect. at our disposal.My first real car was a 56 chevy two door, with a 235 six and a POWERSLIDE trans, I built a pickup bed trailer and traded for it even up.It smoked so bad, you filled up the oil and checked the gas.But I was cruzin man.I currently have a 60 Ford x-4 door now a two door starliner,thus the scarliner thing. 460--4 speed-- rough but very fun--love it.
    Well to make a long story shorter I have had a bunch of cars
    through the years,none I can say were show stoppers, but man have I had some fun and met some great people.The perfect example of this was attending THE HAMB DRAGS I dont know how I was chosen to be one of the lucky ones,just dumb luck I was talked into going and I almost didnt---BAD CAR GUY---but I did go and it was a BLAST! I have attended many car shows,trophy debates,blaw blaw blaw, but this thing was nothing like I had been to before.Everyone there had a Lets have fun attitude and it was about friends who had never met before,face to face, and yet you felt you had known them for life!
    As for me being an outsider to the HAMB, where else in the world could you, meet people from all over the U.S.A.--- and even Australia, that had the same love of cars as you do.I saw the great RAMBLER grudge race, HAMB DIGGER AND the HAMB DIGGER KILLER race and bikes racing and all I saw were folks having a great time.I even got to race my car several times,never been on the track side before screwed up plenty,but hey I had fun.Plan on building something faster for next time.
    And I have to admire the long haulers, two guys and thier crews that came from California, to put on a show for all of us.That was no small task to do what these guys did.A GREAT JOB goes out to both of you.As far as I am concerned we were all winners that weekend!
    I know there we plenty of other long haulers Alabama--Wiscosin--Michigan--Penn. and the list goes on, My hats off to all of you, you know who you are.
    Also we were in a Mc Donalds parking lot at 12:00 a.m. after a long day of B.S.ing on friday and up drives a fellow who has driven several hours to deliver "THE PIG
    " so we could all eat the next day and the next day was about a 100 degrees and here stands several people sweat'n over a huge fire for hours just to serve us.A BIG THANK YOU to those guys.
    Looking forward to the next HAMB DRAGS I will be there!
    Well hope to meet plenty of you guys and gals on the HAMB ,feel I know several of you just from lurking so long.Thanks-Scarliner

2. Phil Stevens

Phil Stevens

Hey there, good intro, welcome from someone all the way from Australia, as you already know, it's fun here!

3. Welcome. We like to look at pictures....let's see the Scarliner (good name)!

4. Welcome to the HAMB scarliner.

Did you mean there were Aussies at the HAMB Drags, or just us guys that hang around in cyberspace?

The HAMB Drags sure would've been fun to go to, but I feel as if I was there thanks to all of the pics and the wonders of modern science.

Hang around, I'm sure you'll like it.

5. <font color="brown"> You may even find the odd flightless bird here too!
    "KIWI'S" or to others, New Zealanders.
    Welcome anyway. Glad you enjoyed the Drags and by the reports and pix, it was a blast.
    Stay Cool! [​IMG] </font>

6. raven

raven

Glad to see you finally here.
    I enjoyed talking to you at the drags (and on the way down).
    Listen guys, for those of you who weren't at the drags, this guy has a four door that was converted into a two door in what amounts to, over a weekend.
    It looks great. Don't let him fool you.
    It's a real neat car.
    Welcome.
    r

7. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I remember you!
    I'll look through my HAMB drags photos and see if I have one of your Scarliner. Your doing a convert next if I remember our conversation correctly. Maybe it will be "done" by the next drags and we can cruz topless down the track together. [​IMG] Welcome aboard, glad you finally decided to intro.

8. Hey Scarliner! I'm glad you finally fell into our "clutches" here on the HAMB. I really enjoyed you and your car at the drags. And it isn't as rough as Scarliner [and Kenny} described it. Looks like a "real" 60 Ford starliner but it was built from a non rusty 60 fordoor and a really rusty starliner 2 door hardtop.

9. I would like to see a pic of your Scarliner as I have a 60 Starliner myself

10. carkiller

carkiller

Welcome Reggie, Good ta see ya here. Cal

11. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey, good meeting you at the drags. Sorry I just jetted on you and Kenny in mid conversation the next morning - but the wife and baby were ready to go.

12. atch

atch

welcome scarliner,

i'm glad i've had the opportunity to meet you at the drags and the buzzard run. i like the scarliner. i think it's a pretty neat piece. i wanted to make it to your auction a while back, but had to work both days. my loss.

for all of you who have the tape of the drags, he's on there. several times, if i recall. i thought this car was really scootin' for what looks like a big car. i guess it just looks big 'cause all we see on the streets any more are cracker boxes.

anyway, welcome, and hope we have the chance to meet again often.

13. Eh scar welcome.So where you from,looks like you forgot to put that up.Or maybe you just can't remember where it is that you live!I love those 60 fords.Been kinda lookin for one myself.My dads first car was a 60 fairlane,like to find one of those for sure.Someone get some pics up of this one.You'll like it here,damn fine and fun place.........Shiny

14. Hi Reggie,
    Welcome to the H.A.M.B. It was good seeing you, again, at the drags.
    Sorry for the whoopin' I put on ya out on the strip. [​IMG]

JOE[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Welcome. Nice intro, sounds like you'll fit right in. Did anyone mention that we LOVE pictures?

16. Here is my one on the beach in New Zealand

Attached Files:

17. Kustm52

Kustm52

Welcome....glad I got to meet and talk with you and choprods at the drags...glad to see you finally decided to get your feet wet. When the rest of the world sees what ya'll can do with a bunch of four-doors, the price is going to go up, so let's keep it quiet...wouldn't want the goldchainer crowd to find out how much fun can be had with a cheap four door, would we?

Brian

18. This may be clearer

Attached Files:

19. atch

atch

oh, yeah; brootal - in answer to "Did you mean there were Aussies at the HAMB Drags, or just us guys that hang around in cyberspace?" mike davidson was there. you know him? he's a (the?) flathead guru from australia. he came over and spent about a month with dave dooley (who has lurked here forever, and even signed on in june of '02 as "dools", but has never posted; not even once) going to b'ville and the hamb drags. mike's not a hamber, but could be with a little prodding, i think. (hint, hint, to all of you who know him)

scarliner; sorry for 'jacking your post, just wanted to answer brootal's question.

20. 4eva...your ride is absolutely beautiful!

21. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

First of all I would like to thank all for the warm welcome to the H.A.M.B. Phil- would like to see Australia some day sounds like a great place to be.
    Barnett, I will try to get a pic on soon, as usual, I am having trouble with the pic size--too big.
    Brootal, I met Mike Davidson at the drags and we had a good time talking about what its like in Australia compared to the U.S. Some things were very similar and some a lot different.He seemed to be a real nice guy and very knowlegble---great time.
    Cruisin, sounds like I need to save some bucks and take a trip some day!
    Raven61, hey the pleasure was mine, we really enjoyed you and your family and felt like we had known you all for years.Thought it was great the way you jumpped in and offered your help,without being asked to, when Dans 57 generator, decided to say no more and lock up! Thanks again.Maybe we can get together heading to the next H.A.M.B drags.
    Hotrodladycrusr, Love that big olds, its got the look and runs real fine too,have to admire someone who went to B-Ville and made the drags all in one trip, drove all the way and raced the car--- nice meeting you!
    Rocky, some how clutches kinda makes me sweat a little-- hope you guys dont have too much planned for me!
    Also I would like to make something a little more clear,I would not have my car if it werent for 3 or 4 close friends that helped me get it going, choprods did all the major body work,in one weekend he cut the roof off of the 4 door and grafted the hardtop and 2 door doors on it,also he did the rear wheel radius work.David B. helped with the mechanical and drivetrain work, we all spent some long days and nights trying to get this hunk on the road,when we finished, they all made a pack to beat the he-double hockey sticks out of me if I ever mumbled, anything that sounded like for-sale
    4EVA4BANGER, Thats one super nice starliner you have, wished mine looked that sharp, I know I need to get busy and do the paint and interior, but man I hate to, Im having too much fun with it as is, paint makes me worry alot, but it looks so nice.
    Carkiller, glad to be here, now we can stay in touch better and keep old Justin and Margrett in line- not!
    Grimlok, no explanation needed, been there still doing that!Hey love your stripes, may have to build something this winter and turn you loose on it, talent works better UN-LEASHED!
    ATCH, glad to meet ya, your truck has sole and I think its what more people should get out of this car thing, hey use these things and have fun while you can.Were not that far apart need to get together more often and visit.Keep in touch.
    29EHV8, Im located in Macon Mo. thats in the north east corner of Missouri, pretty rural area, it has its good and bad sides! Ever since I saw one of these starliners I knew I was in love with em, they remind me of a custom car,that just needs a little here and a little there to be so fine.Most people love m or hate them. mines been called everthing from the batmobile- to what--dat!
    JUNKYARD DOG 32, great seeing you also,and IM use to loosing, I was having so much fun I hardly noticed,that coupe runs pretty strong too.Maybe I can build something faster and we can have a grudge race-- I should have it done in this life time or not!
    ANIMAL AIN, thanks for the welcome and I have got some good help working on some pics.
    KUSTM52, great meeting you and hey that chevy is a-o.k. I thought I had done something, by driving my car 6 hours to the drags, that was just a warm up for you, my hats off to you and all others who went way beyond the call of duty to make our trip an enjoyable weekend-- love that S-10 tranny swap, I will keep that lo-key if you wont say nothing about 4 doors--deal.
    Thanks again to all- better scat--see-ya!

22. Zor

Zor
    from Phoenix

hey scarliner,
    its good to see you on here. you guys put on a helluva show last weekend. it was a good time and i met a lot of cool missouri people that i didn't know were out there. let me know about that 8".

23. Velkommen! Nice to see you at the drags......from the pig guy, Trent

24. Hey Reggie,glad to see some of us talked you into signing up.Had a good time talking to you at the drags and in the parking lot at the motel.We'll have to do more shows or events in each others area.Average now is once a year (not enough).Anyways welcome aboard.
    DAN

25. 4eva4banger, your car is awesome looking. [​IMG]

26. Thanks, so is yours!

27. Welcome to the HAMB. And oh yeah, I love the 'liner!