Register now to get rid of these ads!

scared to drive your car? I AM.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 62rebel, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Hotrodhog

Hotrodhog

Defensive driving seems to be way more important nowadays with the SFB's :D doing everything but paying attention to driving.....with a cell phone in one ear and a face full of Mac Donalds and reaching to change the radio....

Paint it bright, run with lights on and drive it like you stole it....

2. Avoiding the interstates is key but when you do drive them, stay away from high traffic times if at all possible. I really like to drive at night myself - most folks seem "more aware" then and there are usually a lot less cars to have to deal with.

winduptoy likes this.
  3. Hotrodhog

Hotrodhog

Hate to give anybody ideas.....but a friend of mine used to keep a tube of BBs on the dash, and if someone was tailgating, he would shake a few BBs out through the vent window....the car behind would usually back off pretty fast ! :D

4. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

I used to worry.....THEN ONE DAY A BOLT OF LIGHTNING FROM ABOVE HIT ME AND SAID.........You Hosehead!!!!!!!!!!!......Insure the thing for a stated value and let the insurance man lay awake at night.....If it was buildable one time, it will more than likely be buildable a second time...........THEY ARE MADE TO DRIVE AND ENJOY!!!!............WARNING: THE SURGEON GENERAL HAS NOT ENDORSED THIS OPINION...hehehehe

clem, Deuces and TomT like this.
  5. I'm not scared to drive my car. Right now I'm scared it might not get me back to point A again....

clem likes this.
  6. bajones238

bajones238
    from SC

Amen brother.

7. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

As far as bikes are concerned we can ride the yellow as long as we are still in our lane. It is the best spot to ride because line of sight for other drivers help lower the death rates!!!! The biggest issue I have while riding my scoot is A-holes want to share my lane since I am not using it all anyways! When I was young and full of piss and vinegar that use to get you a boot to the door. Now that I have matured and calmed down it only gets you the single finger salute! :D

I drive the hell out of my cars but my Tudor sedan did make me nervous when my kid was riding shotgun. It just seemed there wasn't enough there to protect her. Now that we roll a 4400 lb land yacht it is a different story.

8. Take the risk or miss out on all the fun.

9. I'm not going to read this whole senseless thread but I will add this.

I've been riding bikes for somewhere around 45 years now. One thing I've always heard from people is "aren't you afraid to ride or get hurt"?

My answer is rather simple..... You can get killed crossing the street! But if you're afraid of your fuckin' ride, stay in bed and pull the covers over your head because you don't belong on the fuckin' road.

10. Beat2Hell

Beat2Hell
    from So. Cal

I am pretty aware of my surroundings. Been driving for only 4 years and only had old american cars. Got t boned in a beater '65 Chevy truck, I felt bad for the honda. Not that it's the smartest thing to do but... One time on a dark secluded road, some guy in a newer suburban was literally an inch from the back of my old Dodge van. With those HID lights on. For about 15 to 20 min, it was pretty intentional in my book being as he had ample room to pass me. So when he goes to pass I floored it with my little 318 equipped shorty van. We ran neck and neck up to 95 mph and be dropped back. What do I do? swerve right in front and lock my brakes. Fuck that guy. He swerved my van barely and kept going and that was the end of it. Sure I endangered an early Dodge van but it was so beat only one door opened anyway.

11. pitman

pitman

Ahhh the brave... I observed a carload (4) young fems in a late small convertable, top was down, all were either texting or Emailing. This was on the beltway at 60 mph with traffic lights every 1/2 mile or so. Did I enjoy the idea of watching the front-left seated "texter" occasionally glance upward, as she approached my trunk?
    Think again friends. It all depends upon the locale, enforcement and level of distractedness.
    Seems an aim-able pulse-generating undercar bazooka tube would help disable her ECU, maybe permanently. Back in-the-day it wasn't quite this difficult, thats all.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  12. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

What's to be scared of?? It's only metal. Metal can be fixed. Go for a drive!

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I wouldn't drive a cool old car on my commute unless I really had to. what I would like to drive is an old 70's pickup with 1/2" thick steel bumpers with railroad spikes welded to them and just have my own little smash -em up derby every day with the numbskulls I share the road with. maybe put some spikes on the side too.

Deuces likes this.
  14. chaddilac

chaddilac

A pit maneuver would keep that person from cutting anyone else off!!! :D

Deuces likes this.
  15. I drive mine everyday, rain or shine.

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Getting peppered with projectiles might cause the driver to panic stop. In the event of an accident, I think your friend would be libel.

I've been hit before. By a cop, no less. I was watching the road and had the green, but he ran his light and hit me. Keeping an eye out helps, but it doesn't matter sometimes. I still drive the same way and go through the scene of that accident a few times a month.

Can't have fun sitting in the driveway.

17. 327Eric

327Eric

Why own it if you don't drive it. I wish i could drive mine more. I sure loved driving my blacked out 71 Chrysler. It was invisible until the morons started to cuy me off, then saw there was 20 feet more of me behind the front bumper.

18. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

A handfull of pennies works about as good...they arent worth much anyway and its usually worth a quarter to get somebody off your butt.

19. hemiboy

hemiboy

You best friend in a daily driver is the "GO" pedal....just get outta the idiots way!

20. manyolcars

manyolcars

The Dream Truck was being flat towed, Not on a trailer, when a tire went bad and the truck rolled over on the drivers door.

21. Model T1

Model T1

There is some good advice here and some down right stupid comments. No doubt a few of you are the problem!
    Being scared and being careful are totally different things. Be careful and use common sense. Most likely you will be one of few on the road. I've been driving way longer than most of you have been breathing. Had one accident when I was hit nearly head on at 3 AM on glare ice by an on coming drunk driver out of control. I steered into the left lane to avoid a head on in my one week old pick up truck. Yes, the left lane. The lane closest to the other vehicle coming accross the center lane toward me. The drunk hit my right front corner. Where would he have hit had I stayed in the right lane?
    I was a trucker and saw many accidents and stupid driving. With luck and skill, mostly luck, I avoided many accidents. Some I am sure someone else was watching over me. I'm not one of those religeous people who say I was saved by God, even though a bus load of orphans was killed. I just know that it's not entirely up to us.
    Watching the road around you and driving decently is the main thing. I speed. I run yellow lights occasionally. But I also watch the other drivers and plan ahead. I've driven old cars, rods, and customs as long as I've driven daily drivers. I usually forget I'm in a 50+ year old car. I think about having my old cars totalled. But like others mentioned, we fixed them once. We can fix them again. Drive it and have fun.
    PS Don't think that plastic box in the other lane can't total out your barge. I've seen what can happen to old cars.

22. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Ah, many times have I thought the same!!!! I absolutly hate fixing stuff especially if I didn't break it...don't matter if I got paid for the damage..

23. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Obviously not married to my wife.

Beanscoot likes this.
  24. hepme

hepme

Hell, its a badge of honor---"this guy drives this MF"

25. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Never been extremely concerned about driving my hotrods. It would only result in me not enjoying them if every time I took a trip I was worried about what someone else did. I am far more aware of other cars whenever I'm in traffic, and I do what I can to keep distance, or even change lanes if someone is too close behind and wont pull over and pass me.
    I love putting miles on my cars, and the only issue I've ever had was when I wasn't even driving. I attended our weekly car cruise on Wed. night with my OT Camaro, and the paint was 2 weeks old. Came back to see a 4" scratch in the driver's door that was well into the clear coat. Looked like someone leaned into the window opening and had some dorky belt buckle on that scraped the clear coat. Had to return it to the painter, who had to re-shoot the upper half of the door with clearcoat.

26. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I live in South Little Saigon (AKA Fountain Valley Ca.) …..damn right I’m concerned but I drive anyway.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2023
    1oldtimer likes this.
  27. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

I've seen so many idiots on the road lately I find it hard to believe. I even lost a windshield in my pickup to some brainless boob that shot it with one of those high powered pellet guns while going south on I-90 just out of Cour D'laine (SP?), Idaho. Some north bound idiot did that. Seems that's considered funny in some circles and it happens a lot.

28. I went with disc brakes up front on my car, saved me a couple of times. The closest was when someone blew a red light on me. And 3-point seatbelts, they held me back nicely. The car drives well at highway speeds, lots of power to pass when I want to. I have peep mirrors on both sides that help a lot. I'm always checking around me when I'm out with the car. My biggest fear is getting crunched in traffic.

Deuces likes this.
  29. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Over the past 15 years, I've been rear ended, had a girl pull out in front of me and sideswiped by a hit and run driver....all in my pride and joy cars. I just got back from an 800 mile round trip in my 49 Buick. I am going to drive my cars and keep my Hagerty insurance paid up. That's why I have it.

I am not car monogamous. If I lose one, I will get another. I usually get tired of them after about 3 years anyway. YMMV.

30. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Always concerned about getting rear ended so I installed a "visible" third brake light.
    011.JPG

This past weekend I was driving a rural road in the hills east of me when a Ram pickup came over the center, right at me. We were able to miss each other but a shock just the same. Then 5 miles later a deer ran in the road and froze in front of me. Missed that too. Time for a "rest" stop! I still drive it whenever I can.

'28phonebooth, bobss396, TomT and 4 others like this.