Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Scammers...to mess with or not to mess with, that is the question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by borderboy1971, Mar 3, 2020.

1. I put a want ad for some Canadian Pontiac stamped Chevy valve covers. I knew the scammers would eventually find me. I get a private message that tells me "contact askreed121@gmail, he sells what you want to buy". This message came from ozzie33, with zero posts, zero anything. Maybe I'm wrong that it's not a scam, but I'll assume it is. Now the question, does a person string these guys along for entertainment or just ignore it and save my time? I don't really have the time, but I wish I did. Could be fun.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  2. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

3. Darn moderators..... banned him so quick I didn't even get a chance to mess with him. Haha. Just kidding of course. Thanks for having our backs.

4. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

That all depends on how much time you have to screw around with it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most of these guys are psychos. They either don't know or don't care if you try to mess with them. Occasionally, they can be dangerous. Move along.

jim snow and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agree with tubman. In the long run, intentionally engaging with scammers will take more of a toll on your psyche than theirs. They are not worth it.

7. Squablow

Squablow

If you want to bait scammers, you need to set up an email and a user account that can't be tracked. Then initiate your bait from there. Vindictive assholes will reign terror on you for fighting back, but if you have your tracks covered ahead of time, you can string them along for a long time. Time they spend wild-goose-chasing you is time they aren't spending conning someone else out of real money. If you really want to do it, you need to make their life tougher without any fallout on you.

You can read all about "scam-baiting" if you want to learn how to set up untraceable emails and such, it shouldn't cost you a dime. The goal is to make them waste the most time possible with you, without costing you a dime or spending too much of your time. You also never want to inadvertently teach a scammer to be a better scammer. Never let them know what tipped you off, it only makes them better.

8. New account replying to your wanted thread is a RED FLAG in my book.HRP

5window, bobss396 and nochop like this.
  9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Why would anyone want to waste their precious time screwing around with idiots. These people do this shit for their livelihood. What makes you think stringing them along would divert their income?

Too bad I don’t see them at the shooting range wearing “Scammer” t-shirts.

Jet96, 5window and Callmaker like this.
  10. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

If youre really bored, https://www.419eater.com/

Theres some really talented scammer scammers there. The work they go to... wow

11. lake_harley

lake_harley

Messing with scammers is similar to "Never wrestle with a pig. You both get muddy and the pig enjoys it."

Lynn

charleyw, X-cpe and 41rodderz like this.
  12. williebill

williebill

Only if I knew I could safely ruin their lives, make them sorry they'd ever been born, and destroy everything they hold dear. Then, yeah, I'd do it, as long as it left no survivors.

427 sleeper likes this.
  13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

"contact askreed121@gmail, he sells what you want to buy".

I got a note like this on a wanted ad and found the parts I was looking for. turns out the guy was local and even delivered it.

14. chopped

chopped

When you see crazy coming cross the street.

15. Now you're making me feel bad that maybe he was legitimate. But red flags for me were....Just joined today, no posts etc. Seems fishy. At least a intro and a little chit chat before selling something seems appropriate when new to a site.

49ratfink and stillrunners like this.
  16. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I sold my 6x2 sbc intake to a guy that just joined to buy it. He sent a postal m.o. . I cashed it at post office and sent him the intake. Both of us are happy. You never know , especially with buying. Alway better to let it go and keep searching until it is right .

stillrunners likes this.
  17. Agree.....sell a lot of stuff......sometimes it's legit.....think of the guys that sign up here a decade ago - never a post or reply to a thread....and BAM....they see your stuff for sale....and hit just like a catfish !

18. Since I posted a few parts a while back, I noticed a few guys asking to buy them. It’s unfortunate but if you have zero posts and are relatively new, I will automatically ignore the potential buyer now. I also state I only take PayPal.