Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Scammers lurking -Beware!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pkhammer, Jul 9, 2018.

1. pkhammer

pkhammer

I think I just got scammed. I advertised for some 331 Cadillac parts under the "wanted" section and was contacted by a member that had the needed parts and asked that I text him, which I did. He said he had the parts in excellent condition and we agreed on a price. I did not ask for photos but I did ask him how he wanted payment and for his personal information (name and address) which he gave me (likely lies). He said he didn't do PayPal and asked if I would send a Walmart to Walmart money-gram which I did. So he got the cash and now he won't answer the phone or text messages.
    In all fairness the guy could of had a heart attack or some event took place that might explain the situation but I doubt it. I thought I was safe him being a HAMB member and all although he had just recently joined last month.
    Not sure what I should've done differently but you can bet my guard is fully up now. It's a real shame there are thieves out there working to take an honest man's hard earned money.
    BEWARE!!!!!

49ratfink and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Man, there have been a lot of threads on this. Always use paypal. It is the only way you will have any protection. Walmart is the biggest flag there is. Sorry Man. send Ryan a pm but I fear it is too late

3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

There is only so much you can actually do to be proactive but you failed on two glaring points. First , you never used any self control. Could you live with out it? Sure, and you could keep on looking for the needed parts. You let your desire override caution. You should have insisted on a more secure payment system even a U.S. postal money order. Spend a little more time on here and you will read threads and experiences related to your predicament. There is gfood and bad people in world outside as well as here and all over the net. Sorry you are going through this.

4. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Photo with today’s newspaper in it if your sus , over there anything other than cash or PayPal is asking for trouble (Cheque’s still ok ? Haven’t used one in the longest time )

chryslerfan55 likes this.
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. VANDENPLAS

VANDENPLAS

Did you get scammed?
    Does a .... 942CF95C-52FA-4E61-A8C5-31ED029CDE7D.jpeg

Sorry man, been there done that about 5 or 6 years ago and it still stings that I was that gullible.
    Hopefully he did not get much from you and just consider it a learning lesson.
    Could always be worse, you could of vacationed in Mexico and lost a kidney

6. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Guy on a cadillac bulletin board almost got me last month, Logan Slaton from GA on facebook. Needed a 41 caddy tail light and he responded he had a pair. Sent me pictures of lenses that were currently for auction on ebay, and no this kid was not the seller, some questions made that obvious. In fact I ended up buying the lenses off ebay that he stole the pictures of. Also didnt want paypal and disappeared when I said to use postal money order. So if you are on facebook looking for parts LOGAN SLATON is a scammer!
    Pictures do not mean much, scan ebay and google images to see a picture was snagged from the net. Also guys like us who have parts usually have more, so if the seller has nothing else available from any vehicle I would say they are a scammer.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  7. Casey Riley

Casey Riley

Not only should you use PayPal, but dont forget... you HAVE to send it "Goods and Services" not Friends and Family. There is no recourse with Friends and Family.

Hnstray, dan31, 49ratfink and 2 others like this.
  8. pkhammer

pkhammer

Yeah, I let my guard down because he spoke good english, he seemed to know something about the parts, and he gave a name, address and phone number.
    I can work another day and make more money at an honest job. I believe that you reap what you sow and he will eventually pay a much bigger price than what he stole from me.
    It saddens me that this sort of thing happens. I will move forward a wiser man.

9. roundvalley

roundvalley

Google Earth his address. You might be surprised.

49ratfink likes this.
  10. LM14

LM14
    from Iowa

Can't believe how many people fall for this crap. Not a week goes by that there isn't the exact same thread with a different part mentioned.
    Amazed, again,
    SPark

F&J, bobss396 and 49ratfink like this.
  11. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

So whats the guys name and how long has he been on the HAMB and number of posts does he have.
    I won't deal with someone that doesn't have a fair amount of posts and isn't active on the board.

12. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Sorry you lost your money, but thankful you posted the situation.

13. pkhammer

pkhammer

The name he gave me is Jamie Mollett and the address is a legit home address in Fairmont WV. and the money-gram went to the Fairmont WalMart. His hamb name is Jmm51. He had joined and been a member for less than a month.

14. Terrible80

Terrible80
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you want me to Wal-Mart money- send me the parts first!

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. J D Coop

J D Coop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I learned my lesson several years ago when I bought some vintage Triumph motorcycle parts from a guy on eBay. I paid him using PayPal, but I let him jerk me around with stories about delivery delays until the time limit for filing a complaint with PayPal was past. Then he ghosted me. I contacted his State Attorney Generals office and reported the fraud. I then contacted his local County Sheriff's office and gave all the info to a Fraud Detective. The next day a Deputy Sheriff knocked on his door and suggested strongly that he make the deal right or face charges. Suddenly he was back in contact with me with more sad stories about his starving family, etc., etc. He offered to return my money in installments since he was now broke. My second mistake was to agree to that plan. Once you make a deal with the crook for restitution, you can no longer pursue criminal charges. Long story, I never got my money back.