Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Scammer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by phat rat, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

Last one I had is just a few days ago. I was looking for a grill for the 37 Ford I have. I know for an original one they cost a lot if they are good. A guy emails me. Told him I had to see pics of it. Long story short. I received 6 people that all sounded the same. All had the same fake grill. Then they came up with a original one. I had found a grill for $400. Not the best, but I figure something out. Their grill looks darn near perfect. He wanted $300. for it. Shipping was $12.00. This guy was in NY, but the grill is in Co. Another member on this site told me to have him take a pic of the grill with my name, and the date in front of it. Wouldn't do it. Just kept on insisting, but I wanted proof. No proof. No money..

koolbeans likes this.
  2. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

You can't trust phone numbers even if they are local to you anymore. There is an app or something that allows them to put any number they want to show up on the caller ID. I have gotten calls at home that the caller ID said was my name and number! I answered once or twice, finally got some ragheads to talk. He wouldn't tell me how he got my number but when I mentioned FBI and fraud, he hung up quick! I notified the phone company and they said they were doing this all over the country. He said they shut them down when they could, but it was like whack a mole, close one, two more pop up. They liked my FBI mention though!

3. Its called spoofing the number and its easy peezy. The call is actually an internet call which means you can call from anywhere and is virtually untraceable.

4. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

I've lived in this town for almost 10 years, and it's a 309 area code. My cell has 815, which is 40 miles north of me. I've also received calls on my land line with MY number. We bought a Panasonic phone that has call number blocking. Get a call and answer, and if it's someone you never want to hear from again, just push the block button. That number calls again, it MIGHT ring once or not, but the phone keeps the numbers in memory. Also, if caller ID lists a number that you don't recognize, hit the block button.

I've had things listed on CL and get calls from other area codes. I will look them up on the puter. If I call back, I ask the person where they are.

5. I did a lot of buying and selling when it was hard to do, Buy Lines and Selling Post were weekly papers that catered to the car crowd. I sold cars and parts to people out of state at times, but they had to pick them up, always all cash. Now there are so many scams and some look legit at first. My late wife was in banking and would tell me the tales from sellers who got bilked for big $$$. Biggest one was an out-of-state bank check for more than the price of the car or motorcycle. It seems like motorcycles were favorite targets of scammers. She got to be pretty good at sniffing out a bad deal for her customers.

6. insomniacshotrods

insomniacshotrods

Had my chrome T frontend kit on cl for 6 months so you can imagine the crap I seen. Thought I was gonna end up on the 6 o’clock news. Have some stuff I’d like sale so here we go again. May try Facebook market place instead.

7. This has never failed me yet......

8. RodStRace

RodStRace

You might want to EDIT those checks, if the address is yours.

9. clem

clem

^^^^^ doesn’t really matter, as his real name is mr Chevrolet...........;)

10. clem

clem

So I understand why they refuse paypal, but how safe is the USPS money order ?
    Just curious.

koolbeans likes this.
  11. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I kept my old cell phone number when I moved in with my girlfriend, found it helps as any calls I get
    with that prefix I know are scam calls as no one with that prefix calls me. At least I can ignore the calls.

12. electra483

electra483

I caught this thread a little late... but wanted everyone to know. Just had an issue with PayPal that never happened before. If someone funds their PayPal account with a credit card (then gets buyers remorse after the purchase) they can send back whatever it is they bought then call their credit card company to dispute the charges.

I called PayPal on this because they put a hold on my funds for this exact reason. I've had a PayPal account for almost 20 years, and never had an issue (till now). PayPal advised there is nothing they can do, because it's between you and the buyers credit card company.... sellers beware!
    Oh, and what I shipped came back damaged!

13. BJR

BJR

"I've had things listed on CL and get calls from other area codes. I will look them up on the puter. If I call back, I ask the person where they are."

My cell phone is from Wisconsin area code where I used to live. Moved to Minnesota and live here now. But I have a Wisconsin area code, so you never know.