Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods SCAMMED!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mullskull, Aug 9, 2017.

1. enigma57

enigma57

Sorry to hear a scammer made off with your hard earned money, Rich. Hope you catch up with him.

I've been fortunate that way so far. But then I'm an old guy who only deals in cash face to face for local transactions or with US Postal Money Order if buying or selling an item that must be shipped.

No credit cards, no wire transfers, no other type of money orders. I don't have a 'smart phone' and don't text nor tweet nor any of that stuff. I don't do facebook. Never use Craig's list. Never post ads looking for items wanted nor answer ads for items wanted. Only post ads for items I am selling or answer ads (via PM or e-mail) for items I am interested in buying.

Only exception is e-Bay (I locate most of my car parts either here at the HAMB or at e-Bay). E-bay has things set up where you pretty much have to use a credit card and then they automatically put everything through PayPal whether you want to have anything to do with PayPal or not. So I keep 1 credit card with zero balance and a low limit just for e-Bay and pay off the balance the day after the transaction goes through. Other than that, we have no credit cards and don't have any dealings with PayPal. I have no PayPal account. And I don't sell on e-Bay. Only shop for parts there occasionally.

One thing I will add...... These scammers make it hard for old guys such as myself who accept only US Postal Money Orders as payment on items that must be shipped. For some reason I will never understand, a few people here seem to have an issue with paying by US Postal Money Order (I have never had anyone decline accepting one when I purchase an item, though). Me...... I prefer them because they are easily traced and using them protects both parties. For if either party does anything hinkey where a US Postal Money Order is involved...... It is literally a federal offense. Including mail fraud.

Nonetheless...... Ever since these scammers started being a problem here, its been harder for folks such as myself to sell items. In my case, I haven't had anything sell here in a year and 3 months. Suspect that someone must have put out the word not to answer ads where the seller accepts only MOs as payment...... Without making the distinction between regular MOs and a US Postal Money Order issued by the post office.

So I'd like to get my hands on one of these thieves just as much as those who have been directly scammed by them. Because when you look at the ripple effect...... In a way, we have all been scammed by them. Either directly or indirectly.

Just my thoughts on it,

Harry

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    6-bangertim and Rex_A_Lott like this.
  2. coast40

coast40

Scammers use computer programs to reply to CL ads with generic responses such as, "I am interested in your item". It is a red flag with CL users. From craigslist.org>>>
    "Recognizing scams
    Most scams attempts involve one or more of the following:
    • Email or text from someone that is not local to your area.
    • Vague initial inquiry, e.g. asking about "the item." Poor grammar/spelling.
    • Western Union, Money Gram, cashier check, money order, paypal, shipping, escrow service, or a "guarantee."
    • Inability or refusal to meet face-to-face to complete the transaction."

SicSpeed likes this.
  3. enigma57

enigma57

Quoted from Craigs List......

"Recognizing scams

Most scams attempts involve one or more of the following:

• Email or text from someone that is not local to your area.
    • Vague initial inquiry, e.g. asking about "the item." Poor grammar/spelling.
    • Western Union, Money Gram, cashier check, money order, paypal, shipping, escrow service, or a "guarantee."
    • Inability or refusal to meet face-to-face to complete the transaction."
    I don't do Craigs List. And I don't text. I do PM folks here on the classified forum if I am interested in an item they have for sale. I do give them my E-mail address if they want to contact me that way. Unless you live close enough to pick the item up in person, how else can you work out details regarding the sale? And I do refer to it by name. Never 'the item'.

I don't use any of the above listed methods of payment whether buying or selling except for US Postal Money Order which is not the same as a generic 'money order'.

Have no idea why they mention 'shipping' as a flag for possible scam. Unless you live close enough to pick the item up in person (in which case, I only deal in cash whether buying or selling)...... Price of shipping must be addressed whether the sales price includes shipping or whether the buyer will need to pay shipping costs.

So I would take exception to those particular comments by Craigs List and say that in my view, they do not...... Or should not...... Apply to items for sale here on the classified forum. (I am assuming that Craigs List must be only for local pickup by the way their comments are worded?)

Best regards to all,

Harry

4. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

This is why if people can't accept Paypal we rarely do business, unless they take a Business check. Honestly Money Orders are always a red flag for us as they have been used to scam us in the past. Also if they aren't using a legit shipping service, Like UPS, Fedex, or Speedee then I wouldn't do it. The whole Greyhound thing I always thought was a joke, probably because I have to drive 150 miles to get to a bus station, but none the less.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  5. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Since you are an Alliance member, folks who are willing to pay the $50 per year (easily recovered thru vendor discounts) to join the Alliance are safe dealing with you I would say.
    So I would say not only are these buyers protecting themselves, and getting other vendor's discounts, they are also helping to support this site instead of freeloading by joining the Alliance.

kiwijeff and upspirate like this.
  6. 5window

5window

I think you still need to be cautious. A lot of scammers would pay the $50 to rip you off for a $100.

6inarow likes this.
  7. I've been horse-trading cars and parts since I was 16. The old days were cool, Buy Lines and The Selling Post were options, ads in speed shops too. And they had to use a land line to reach you. I did my best years of dealing like that. Now the scammers outnumber the legit buyers.

I've bought parts here, I plunked out $650 plus $110 for my M20 with a postal money order, smoothest deal ever. Anyone wants the seller's ID, PM me. The Ford Barn I've bought a lot of trim, again, postal money orders and a smooth as Exlax transaction. I go with my gut feeling about the deal. It never hurts to say no and you get to keep your hard-earned $$$.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Quite true, but only once will he rip off somebody on HAMB because it is a stated policy here on HAMB that the admin will intervene if both buyer and seller are Alliance members. If either buyer or seller pulls a scam and the admin intervenes and is unable to resolve the scammer is banned.
    You say "What if he comes back under a new alias?" Then a cautious buyer/seller should spot that he is a brand new member with no past history or posts and that's a giant red flag.

9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn it bruz, why's it gotta be like dat? I don't have PayPal. :(

I do buy and sell with Postal money orders tho. Just sayin, and maybe bustin yer balls a little;)

10. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I have never understood how people can send money to somebody they have never met but won't get in the car and drive there to buy the parts face to face. I buy and sell a lot of parts, face to face only. Cash in hand, hold the parts before paying for them. If it's a fantastic buy there is usually a reason. If it's too good to be true there is usually a reason. I even meet people part way t make it easier for them when they are buying from me. I've ben burnt twice by people not showing up but I only do it when it benefits me so it wasn't a total waste of time and gas. I still got my business done in the area.

11. butch27

butch27

HIghland--How does the buyer trust you to send the part? I'm selling a open drive rear and if he sends me a postal money order how is he assured that I will send it to him, I WILL but need help here.

12. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's sad that there are these crooks out there-one must be very careful. I have bought from guys on here after talking with them a bit--no issues. Also have sold parts to guys on here and included the amount and my address in the package to send when package arrived--they always paid.

Gman0046 and Bruce Fischer like this.
  13. 31Apickup

31Apickup

You also can't go by a persons phone area code, nowadays you can move and keep your cell number. I've been in Washington 4 years but still have a Michigan number.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Gman0046 likes this.
  14. Gman0046

Gman0046

Yep, been using a AT&T cell with a Kentucky number in Florida the last eight years.

Gary

15. phat rat

phat rat

There are guys here who complain about Craigslist but for the last couple of years I've done more selling there than here. Just sold the 33 Ford cab to Vero Beach Fl through a Craigslist ad it didn't even generate an inquiry here.

16. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

There are flaky buyers everywhere, not just on Craigslist. I've sold hundreds of things on CL over the last few years and, aside from a couple of guys who said they were coming and never did, have had very few if any problems. And it's absolutely free which is the best part.... :)

40ragtopdown likes this.
  17. Budget36

Budget36

I'm up for some fun, just listed a PU Cab on CL, and within 5 minutes I got the "Is the item still available?" message.

So I think with this effer, I'm going to let him/her send me a MO for more than the amount, and I'll refund his shipper when he get's here, after all, I live in "The Cowboy Capital of the World"...

Yee haw.

6inarow likes this.
  18. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

That's old school.

With today's smartphones, everyone here needs to be aware that it's extremely simple to "spoof" a caller I.D. number.
    The scammer can text or phone you from anywhere, including overseas, and have whatever outbound number he wants to show up on your caller I.D. For example, I can call you from San Diego with a Texas area code and tell you I'm in Dallas.

We all have to go to school on their tactics and be thinking a couple of steps beyond the scammers. Otherwise, people will keep falling for their shit and they'll never go away. It's like spam emails or mass market mailing. They work thousands of these and only have to hook a very small % to net themselves a great living from their couch.

The reason we're seeing more and more of these scams in our hobby, is because the fishing has been good for them in our pond.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how...ome..69i57.10791j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

19. My pay pal is a separate account from my other's with my credit union....only money in it is what I'm buying....maybe just a little more....doesn't feed from my other accounts....it's how mine's set up...easy to transfer money.

20. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Its good to know Im not the only one who has shipped parts and let the buyer pay me later. With a USPS Money Order. Because I worked on a drilling rig and could be gone for weeks at a time. True story, never got burned. Have to go with your gut feelings on these kind of deals though.

21. SnoDawg

SnoDawg

Because where I live it takes a 5 day drive to get down to the lower 48.
    Dawg

22. Hey I am with you SnoDawg. It is a long way to america from where we are . I have to rely on peoples honesty but have been burned before and I have physically made it down to deal with these types.
    Have 2ea in California to deal with next month. Not going to be good for them !
    Vic

23. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's a couple things in play here. 1st it's easy to see that I have a regular presence here which I think is worth keeping in good stead. 2nd, using the USPS to defraud someone is a fairly serious federal crime, and I think a felony at that. Finally, while you can't please everyone I think most of my deals within these pages have gone rather well. I've always included tracking numbers, always mention the part I want or find some way to let a buyer or seller know I'm for real. Trust is earned, not available for purchase. I deal in 6 and 7 figure car services and restoration as well as my 'monkey business' with hot rods and parts for my own pleasures. I'm proud to say that I never have to hide from or avoid anyone. I sleep well, don't look over my shoulder and try to show all due respect to the folks I meet. As hard as that may seem it's really not. over 40 years in this game, so far so good. Does that help? Wanna buy something;)

edit: Offer some references if there's minor ripples from your buyer. More than anything, COMMUNICATE. If you end up sick or hurt the day you were gonna ship let them know or get someone to do it for you. Send email pics of how your stuff is packaged so they know what to expect. The more transparent you are the better because it removes doubts.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    6-bangertim and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  24. roadsterman32

roadsterman32
    from wi

Hate that this happened to you. However, if you do get more info good luck getting anyone in California to do anything about it. I purchased an item that was in the background of an auction this dude had. We agreed to a price etc and he was selling as a business. Sent my company check with his company name as payee. He scratched out that name, wrote in his personal name and the damn bank cashed the check. No one at the bank even cared. Spoke with a detective out there and he told me the banks will not even give them info unless they have search warrants etc and they almost never get convictions even when they do get the guy cold. I only buy from Ca if I am there live at a swap.
    Seems to be a growing problem. Good luck.

25. Gman0046

Gman0046

Thats why eBay is a great place to buy parts. I've found parts there I couldn't find elsewhere. With over 375 transactions I've only been scammed once by someone selling a Sun Super Tach ll that was supposed to be new but obviously was not. eBay refunded me the money for the purchase and the shipping.
    Gary

26. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think your best avenue for redress would have been your bank. They should not have cashed it and could be held responsible. The Federal Reserve Bank "polices" other banks. If I remember correctly, there is an online form at the Federal Reserve website called Federal Reserve Federal Complaint form.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  27. ken bogren

ken bogren

Maybe just crush it all for scrap money and be done with it.

Sounds like it would be a lot less stressful.

28. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

That is without a doubt the most un HAMB member like thing I have read on this site in a long time.

XXL__ likes this.
  29. XXL__

XXL__

Also, use the HAMB's built-in Trading Stats system (click username, then click on Trading Stats tab). Lot's of people don't know it's there, or don't bother. I try to leave feedback for HAMBers I've dealt with, and hopefully they return the favor. Having even just 1-2 positive feedback posts on your Trading Stats page seems like it would go a long way... especially if the other party is a long time HAMBer as well.

As for ebay...

Ebay is a scammer's paradise for BUYERS. As a seller (been there 20+ years, 13000+ transactions), I have practically ZERO recourse when a buyer claims I didn't send item as described... at least half the time, I've had to eat ALL money transacted AND the part, because the buyer (who must, of course, return the item ON MY DIME), sends me some bogus who-knows-where-it-came-from part (or, in TWO cases... actual bricks). For all ebay sales, I now take a photograph of the actual part sitting open in the box, with the printed shipping label next to it. And then I send that photo through the ebay system to the buyer along with a pleasantly worded note whose subtext to the scammer is that I will fight them to the gates of hell if they try to screw me. Even then, they do it all the time.

So... tl;dr, if you want free parts and you have no scruples, ebay is the place to get them.

edit: I don't mean to suggest in any way that Gman0046 is a scammer... was just quoting his comment re liking ebay.

30. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

So the guy cashed your check and did not send you the item?