Register now to get rid of these ads!

Scam?!?!?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skumbag, Aug 24, 2006.

1. skumbag

skumbag

ok i know this is a scam but why does this guy want this info on me? i put the truck for sale on craiglist. he sent me a e-mail the same day i listed it. anybody dealt with anything like this before?

<<Hello matthew ,
    Thanks for your mail, I really do appreciate it, Well Everything sounds well and I guess that the 1966 GMC PICK UP is in excellent condition and I am okay with the price $2000 and I will be willing to offer you $2050 for it. So, I would
    want you to keep all other buyer's off and also delete the advert from the website. Concerning payment my client will issue you a USPS Money Order, since I don't have the funds in your currency. For convenient and easy transaction, I have a liable shipping agent who'd be responsible for the Pick up as soon as you receive payment for the1966 GMC PICKUP .I will therefore need the following information of yours to forward my client before he sends the Money Order.
    NAME IN FULL........
    ADDRESS IN
    FULL....
    CITY...
    STATE...
    COUNTRY..........
    ZIPCODE.......
    CELL/OFFICE/HOME PHONE
    NUMBER.
    I await your soonest reply.
    Regards,
    Frank Savage.>>

thanks,
    matt

2. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I thought you just needed the name for a m/o.

Could be some elborate identity scam.
    Might just want to charge something to your phone, who knows.
    Can you report the guy?

3. 53burb

53burb

Be veeerrrryyyy careful now! I have seen alot of scam shit go down on via fellow HAMB'rs here that got burned. The most recent is the guy's chopped '53 Plymouth being hauled away by a scam artist with a truck 'n trailer via who knows where? I would wait on this one to be honest. KNUX!

4. skumbag

skumbag

i dont know if i can report him or not.

matt

5. squirrel

squirrel

that is all you need to know....it's a scam

6. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

yeah, im feeling the scam....

dont let this car go without absolutely letting a money order clear and settle. lots of scammers are using bogus cashiers checks / money orders, and banks can take a week before they even realize they are bogus.

cash in person is king. otherwise, insist the buyer wait until all is clear.

-scott noteboom

7. the-rodster

the-rodster

Don't play by his rules.

Tell him that ain't nobody gettin the truck until they show at your door with cash.

Rich

8. Actually the questions sound legit. If I was buying something I might want to know where I was pickling it up and how to get ahold of you.

Its the 2050 on a 2000 truck that would make me leary well that and the fact that it is a M/O and they want immediate delivery, if the guy has a purchaser he can come by with cash as easy as a M/O I'd think you have to have cash to buy one.

9. Maybe you can have him tattoo your truck on his arm to prove he's legit ;):D:D

Bryan

10. I'm thinking some form of identity theft. Other than that, I'm with porknbeaner, that $2050 throws up all sorts of red flags.

11. yea that one is a no brainer.

" Gee, I'm not good on this price would ay take a little more?"

12. Bazooka

Bazooka

the lady at the post off told me there having problems with counterfeit postal money orders now days. I wouldnt do it.

13. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

i heard that same thing... definitely a scam.

14. I had one of those. Mine wanted me to go to Office Depot to buy something to print a check. Plus he was going to give me more to buy the chack supplies and pay for his shipper. I told him "my bank wants me to deal in cash". Got one email after that telling me that wasn't right. Never heard from him after that.

15. I always tell anybody I don't normally deal with to wait for my M/O or check to clear before they ship.
    It only seems fair to me.
    On the other hand if I know ya you should be giveing it to me free anyway.
    hey rocky ya got any almost done projects layin' around?:D

16. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just a thought... It's probably a scam of course... but maybe after seeing so damn many of these we should start figuring out a way to scam them BACK...

What if you set up a PO box or something? My buddy set one up with a place that seperated all the mail for him so he didn't have to use the PO box number. Since he traveled and moved a lot this allowed him to register and insure his vehicle to that address and when he gets mail they will box it up and send it to him every week (for an added fee). Saved a ton of money on his car insurance (without using Geico! :D)

Okay, now that you have an address for him to send you the money order safely w/out being figured out by the "scammer" then you find a meeting place that is good for you and the "picker-uper", bring your friends (and what ever other means of force) and see if he shows up. Doesn't show up, you have $2050. The extra $50 will cover the price of the PO box.

This may not work for your case because he knows your Email, but just thinking evil for other future stuff.

SICK of hearing about all the BS scams going around! People are A-holes and need to be dealt with or gotten beat at their own game.

17. Scott F.

Scott F.

(Quote) "Concerning payment my client will issue you a USPS Money Order, since I don't have the funds in your currency."

Of course it's a scam. Tell him not to worry about the money order, just mail you the currency he has, you'll change it at the bank.

Better yet, tell him you've been thinkin about a vacation lately, and ask him where he is at, you'd like to deliver this fucker to him PERSONALLY. ;)

Scott

18. Eryk

Eryk

I think the consensus on this one is that it's a scam and you shouldn't do it.

I had a seller in another state try to con me one time. He wanted cash sent to a PO box for the car and the transport up front...without seeing car. I told him I'd travel to his state to see the car and hand him cash in person IF I decided to buy it. Then he got all weird and asked for my social security number so that he could "hold the car for me". Haha. Yeah. I told him to go f#@k himself. I don't even think he had the car to begin with.

Be careful. Protect yourself. Try to deal in person.

19. Here's one way...from a thread a while back: http://www.419eater.com/html/okorie.htm

It's a long read, but great revenge!

Bryan

20. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm telling you guys... we need to come up with a HAMB guide to dealing with asshole scammers including ways to protect yourself, scam them back, or ways to track them down and beat bashiznit out of them (if chose to do so)...

21. djmartins

djmartins

Bingo!
    If he really does have the money, let HIM get it cashed.
    Too risky for you, take cash only....

regards,
    DJ

22. 3034

Sounds just like one of those bright Nigerian scam artists that offer to pay more than your asking price and want you to send some of the cash back only to find weeks later that the check was no good. Only difference here is that this one is so dumb he forgot to ask for part of the money back.

23. skumbag

skumbag

that sounds like a good idea!!! :eek: :D

matt

24. skumbag

skumbag

thanks for all the advice i think i'm going to give him the address to my buddy's house, tell him my name is matthew johnson instead of matthew johns and give him the phone number to the place i work. just to see what happens. i dont think he could scam me if i gave him that info. i dunno, i really need to sell the truck,i'm trying to come up with the money so i can buy a engagement ring :eek::D if anyone here might be interested in the truck shoot me a pm. maybe i'll ask rashy if i can put it in the classifieds. it looks pretty good, lowered, wide whites, decent paint. anyway thanks again.

matt

25. Hope you let your buddy in on it!:eek: :D

Better yet, give him this address: 1060 West Addison Street

26. why don't you suggest that he send the M?o to his "liable" shipper and they can bring you the cash?

this is a scam....you think you really need to sell the truck just wait till this asshole takes it and you find a out a week later that the BS M/O or postal money order is bogus...think how bad you will need the moeny then.

27. Dandingo

Dandingo

I sell a lot on Craigslist. I get these scams ALL THE TIME. Don't even bother with him, just delete the email. They waste so much of your time it's not even funny.

28. skumbag

skumbag

yeah, you're probably right, i think i'm just going to ignore it.

matt

29. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

100% scam. Scamming is a growth industry in Nigeria.

30. Robert

Robert

Here's one that I received and my reply.

morris brown <[email protected]> wrote:
    Good Day
    Thanks very much for your email, The reason I am sending you this email is to make final reconfirmation of the (Price) and also to let you know that payment will be by Cashier Check or Money Order . In view of this I need you to email me any information that may be required to send the Cashier Check or Money Order , as I do not want to send the Cashier Check or Money Order to a wrong location lest they gets into the wrong hands.

Regarding the shipping, I have a company that takes care of the pick up of my consignments for me and ship to my destination anywhere in the U.S.A, you do
    not worry about shipping, the company will send down a representative to arrange the sales documentation and the pick up from your end for onward transfer to my destination.

I also want to alert you on the fact that you will be recieving an overdraft Cashier Check or Money Order , which will cover the money for the pickup (pickup and shipping to the final destination) as well as the money to be paid to the company that will take care of the pickup and the Items with you. So please, as soon as you receive the Cashier Check or Money Order , go and cash them immediately, deduct the money that accrues to you, and send the balance to the Head Office of the company that handles the shipment via the nearest
    Western Union agent in your area. Deduct the Western Union charges from the balance and send the remaining immediately .

The Cashier Check or Money Order will be in your name to make it easier for you to receive payment, deduct your money and send the balance via Western Union as regards my earlier direction, please reconfirm your details one more time. I will give you the details of the Agent that you will send the balance of the money to once I get a reply and agreement that you will send the money via Western Union money transfer immediately you cash the Cashier Check or Money Order .

Once the money is received by the agent, the shipping agent will contact you immediately to arrange the documentation as well as the pick up immediately. So
    in view of the above, here are some of the details I will need for final issuance of the Cashier Check or Money Order to you.

(1) Full Name
    (2) Mailing address, no p.o.box please
    (3) your direct telephone number
    (4) acceptance of my offer

Once you get back to me with all the above, the Cashier Check or Money Order will be issued out immediately and it will be sent to you . Hope to hear from you immediately.
    Regards,

Reply:
    Send the check to: U.S. Postal Inspector, Washington D.C.
    When you get through with that you can kiss my ass!