Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Scam. How do they do it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frames, Nov 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frames

Frames

Agreed sale price $12,200.00 for vehicle. img492.jpg Sends official cashiers check for $16,200.00. I should deposit check and give $4,000.00 to shipping agent. I asked " are you shipping overseas?" He said " logistics" Big word for a foreigner. I have been playing him along. Maybe Monday I will text this is Michael. My Dad was involved in a bad accident on his way home from the bank and is now in a coma. Nigerians and soap operas use that excuse all the time.

2. Budget36

Budget36

I think the idea is you hand the “shipper” the extra money. Check bounces and you are out of your merchandise. Or some one comes by to get the extra money to get the “shipper” paid. Check is still rubber and you are out 4K.

INVISIBLEKID and Boneyard51 like this.
  3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yup, that is not a real check. Tell them you called the bank that issued the check and that it was no good..... I would feel uncomfortable if these people had my phone number or email address. was this deal from the Hamb classifieds? if so you need to report the member immediately so they can be banned before they get to someone else

4. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

How do tell it is fake?

Boneyard51 likes this.

5. CME1

CME1

I still have a $15,000.00 Cashier's check, (Same deal) but I was to send $2,500.00 to the person who was going to pick up the car. I took the check to my bank and had them check it out. Needless to say, it was no good. I never did hear from the person again! I keep the check for a reminder!

6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

7. indyjps

indyjps

Don't cash that into your account. If you want to string this along, start a new account at a new bank to prevent them phishing your account number.

It really best to walk away.

Tell them you decided to keep the car and ask for a return address to send the check, bet they won't give one.

8. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

Boneyard51 and Deuces like this.
  9. I would get back in contact with those scammer individuals, and demand to be paid in Cryptocurrency, what ever the heck that is all about. :rolleyes: Thank you, Frames, for this post. It might help some H.A.M.B. member out who does not yet know about the fake, over-payment check scheme.
    Cryptocurrency. ???

pitman and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. I've got one in my truck for $3800. Fortunately one of my good friends is the head of homeland security in Ky, he explained how when you try to deposit or cash the check i have, the bank will tell me there's a problem. It's because the routing number is off by 1 number. When you tell them that there is something wrong with the check, they'll ask for your bank information so they can direct deposit the funds, if you give it to them, they've got you.

11. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I don't get it. I heard through the grapevine a a few years ago a high school buddy got taken in by a "Russian Girlfriend" he met online, and he fell in love with her, sent her money to fly to the States, and even tried to meet her at the airport, and she never showed up (or whatever). He maybe wasn't the brightest bulb I ever met but I never thought he was ... Naive.

Surplus and out of date bunker busters should be raining down on these scammer call centers and other con artists.

12. It's pretty easy to get info these days. If it sounds Screenshot_20211120-174425_Samsung Internet.jpg too good to be true, then it is.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  13. Maybe he sent her a Wells Fargo cashiers check.

14. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

I still have a Cashiers Check for $69,000 for a sailboat I was trying to sell. Knew it was a scam from the start but played along. They wanted me to cash check and send money for shipping boat overseas where the potential new owner was supposedly working. Finally told them my bank would not cash check unless they had a photo ID that matched an address and a valid phone number. I was sent an address for a house in Florida that was listed for sale and a disconnected phone number. I then asked for photo ID and never heard another thing fro them again

Boneyard51, lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  15. lake_harley

lake_harley

To me this ^^^^^ sounds like asking for bad karma.

Lynn

seb fontana, fauj, -Brent- and 4 others like this.
  16. I'm saving my bogus check for that opportunity when one of my buddies is drunk. I'll buy something from them lol

17. 73RR

73RR

These days, with computer routers, it is/can be, near impossible to tell if an email is coming from 'overseas' or next door. The scammer could be in your town and hoping to get your ride. Hell, he might even be the 'shipper' that shows up to collect the car and the extra cash.

Boneyard51 and bchctybob like this.
  18. I never accept a check for any amount over $20. Every car I ever sold went for US greenbacks in my hand.

19. Well, the "bad" checks are counterfeit so there are some tell tales to look for.
    There should be an overall ghost security pattern on the backside. If that's missing or blotchy, that's a red flag. Somewhere on the edge or back of the check, how to note the security features should be explained. If that is missing it's another red flag. The routing and account number in the funny-looking font across the bottom of the check needs to be in a special magnetic ink. Your bank tellers scan those numbers on all checks and deposit slips as you hand them over. Just ask them to verify if the ink scans on any suspicious checks.
    I was a lithographer for 40 years so I have the experience to quickly tell how any document was produced (various types of printing presses vs. home computer/printers) But I can't pass that on in a sentence or a paragraph.

bchctybob and rusty valley like this.
  20. Budget36

Budget36

Lot of stories posted on the internet about bad cashiers checks/money orders. Not only do they look good to you, but also the bank tellers.
    You deposit the check , some period later it has “cleared” and you have the funds in your account.
    Another week or so goes by and the check is deemed “bad” usually not associated with any institution.
    The “buyer” had your money from the excess funds, you account is now back to where you started at, minus the “excess” you would give to the buyer/shipper/agents/etc.

In essence the scammers are preying on your greed. “I’ll add 3000, pay the “x” and keep the rest for your time and troubles”

Easy to fall for, but the old adage “if it’s too good to be true…” applies here;)

bchctybob and jim snow like this.
  21. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i scammed the scammer more than once..just let them spend their money and then just dropout..boy do they get nasty sometimes..id have no problem with some people permenantly disappearing...

Boneyard51 and Atwater Mike like this.
  22. Mimilan

Mimilan

DO NOT BANK THAT CHEQUE.
    It is actually a promissory note [or security] , so banking a forged or stolen document is an offence .
    [similar to spending fake currency]

The scam is.............. It will clear straight away [being a bank/cashiers cheque] so this fools most people into thinking it is genuine.
    Then 3 months later the cheque is discovered to be fraudulent so the bank will claw the $$$ back from your account.
    And by then you have already paid "the shipper" $4000

Boneyard51 and XXL__ like this.
  23. I've been going to that exact Wells Fargo address and picking up the computers and phones. The location is closed. I was just there a few weeks ago. Big old building with not very many people in it anymore.

5window and Moriarity like this.
  24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Hate these scams, especially when the bank doesn't catch it until too late...
    Along the same path in 'banks', I had a customer that was referred by the Porsche parts house in Campbell...
    I did some work on his O.T. 912, he paid me with a personal check. I deposited it, and it 'returned'.
    My teller said, "You can run it through again, but if it returns...Outa luck."
    Check was for $800+, so I took no chances...
    As I was sleeping with the teller, she said to re-deposit the check as soon as his paycheck was deposited.
    She called me on the day, and let me know she ran it through again...First act after he deposited...
    Jerk had the nerve to call me and ask "WTF" right after his went in... I laughed, and said "come and meet me,"
    Darned guy hung up on me!

25. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

There is no need to to tell them why you are cutting off the transaction. Probably 1 out of 1000 take the bait. They are used to the scam not working. They don't care, it's a number game. They are just going to move along to the next mark.

26. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Explain how they " got you". If you write a personnel check, your routing number along with your account number is on the check.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  27. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

"Sleeping with the teller." The only extras I get from my bank are free cookies during Christmas.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
  28. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

New Bank Account definition of “ Interest “ Mike ?

Mike did get a cookie 1946Caddie.

29. Above my education. If you want the check I'll sign the back of it and send it to you. Send me $100 for shipping first.

Boneyard51 and Moriarity like this.
  30. cfmvw

cfmvw

I used to get emails from people like that. I would respond and tell them to call me...and give them the number to the FBI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.