Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBF in a Shoebox???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by studeboy, Jul 22, 2007.

1. studeboy

studeboy

I'm buying a ranger with a running 302/c4 to put in my 50 ford and need some guidance on what may be required for this install (motor mounts, radiator, floor pan mods)

I'm considering a T-5 for the OD (and probably not have to cut the floorpan as it's pretty solid)but would need to gather the parts (would the mustang T5 shifter work or is the S10 a better choice.)

Any advice on this swap would be very helpful. Thanks

Eric

2. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

I can't answer about the t-5 tranny,but I had a 302 and a c-6 in my 51. It was a pretty simple task. Had to make a new cross memeber for tranny and bought the mtor mount units from Butch's rod Shop. I used the flathead radiator for a while but eventually had a 4 core built. Of course you have to have a new driveline made.

3. Scrap Heap

Scrap Heap

Speedway Motors has motor mounts, as does rodncustom.com. If you need a trans adapter try Wilcap. You might have to fab your own trans mount. Also your driveshaft will need to be modified.

4. FordFan

FordFan

Put a 5.0 in a 49 with an aod trans. had to make a new driveshaft hump and trans cover but the car was lowered so I had to keep the engine and trans pretty high up in th frame. Used the mustang radiator and a hurst shifter. used jamco motor mounts but would make my own next time

5. HotRodRick49

HotRodRick49

My uncle Chet was suggesting I do that to my shoebox, and he said something about how the pan might hang too low, and you can find a pan out of a 90's ford van, and it will bolt up, and will make it easier to put in.

I'm not 100% on that though.

-Rick

6. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

As far as the pan goes, later model mustang works best. Clears the crossmember and steering when istalled. I got mounts from Hot Rod and Custom Supply. I'm using a T5 as well for the overdrive and I wanted a stick anyway. An s10 would work better from what I've heard because it locates the shifter futhur forward. If you are running a bench, which I am, the mustang will put the shifter right in it. I will make my own shifter so it will clear.

7. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

8. studeboy

studeboy

Is fordfan the only one to modifiy the floor for this combo?

This is why I this place is so great. Info at your fingertips.

Thanks Guys
    Eric

9. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

A big auto trans like a C6 or AOD will likely need a bit of floor surgery - a C4 or T5 might not, but a lot will depend on your mounts.

I put a 302/AOD in a '50 a few years ago. I would fab my own mounts next time - don't waste your time on Speedway's.

I'll second using a Van pan if you can find one out of a late '60s - early '70s Econoline. Otherwise, my next choice would be a Bronco pan. The humps are more centered in these & while Fox pan will work, I don't like them unless they are the only pan that will get the job done due to the double-hump.

The one I did used a converted rack & pinion setup from - I think - a Cavalier - the Fox pan didn't play well with that one & a Van or Bronco pan would be better.

Pretty straight-forward swap with only minor trans tunnel surgery required depending on mounting height & trans used...

10. Jack Luther

Jack Luther

Contact butchscoolstuff for information concerning motor and transmission mounting kit. Butch does not make these, but the site will refer to you the guy that makes them up. I used this kit to install a 302/C-4 combo in my '51 Ford and it was very easy. If you can locate a 49-51 6-cylinder radiator, it will work well (it mounts on the front of the core support, so you will have to trim the gravel pan if your car was originally a V-8). 1951 was the first year for automatic transmissions, so I did not have to modify the hump. I think you will have to alter the transmission hump in your '50. I believe I used a Brono oil pan, but ask around, as others do work, and are available. Good luck with your project. Shoebox Fords are cool. Jack Luther.

11. S1B

S1B

Does anyone have anymore info concerning the T5 part of the install?

12. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Old thread - what specifically are you looking for?