Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods SBF in a 35 -36 , who's done it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ***Area-51***, Sep 19, 2015.

1. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

Would like to hear from you guys that have done it ....

Put a small Ford in a 1935 - 1936 Ford with an AXLE (no mII's )

Whats your experience with firewall recess (how much?) will use ford short water pump
    oil pan ( early bronco or fox body )
    Headers?
    motor mounts ? .... competition engineering says motor does not sit with their mounts

anything else.....

2. Travis T

Travis T

While I haven't done this swap, I did swap an Explorer engine in my 84 GT and I noticed that the water pump from the Explorer was a good bit shorter. Not sure if that's the short pump you're referring to, just some information that may help.

3. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I know that a guy has to cut the firewall quite a bit. I looked at a 35 3window this summer on a garage tour, it was still in bare metal so you could see where they had cut it.

4. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

surely somebody here has done this combo....

thanks for the feedback guys ford makes a short water pump that uses v belt and expect to have recess firewall....just fishing for other experiences especially in
    oil pan vs. front cross member.....

5. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. Budget36

Budget36

I did in my '36 PU, had to cut out the firewall, the way the 302 is made, the pass side head is sitting inches further back, after cutting, mounting the 302...I just didn't like the look...sold the engine have the FW tacked back in place, will figure something else out later, effing cabs are small enough, didn't want the gas pedal so far back...and I'm only 5 "8.

BTW, I don't think a MII makes any difference over the beam axle, it's all about radiator clearance,,,now possibly you can find a good, thinner radiator, move it forward into the grill shell and gain some room, do some filler neck relocating, etc (in the case of a PU, not sure about a car)

Me?...Naw, just pissed I hacked up a perfectly good firewall for nothing.

7. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

treb11 , nice pickup...pass. car in my case, but believe chassis are the same, good info there...looks like your using an early bronco oil pan...how much recess in the firewall?

Budget36, read that cross member needs to be lowered when using an axle with sbf ....doesn't appear to the case in treb11's pickup...think firewall will need to go back 3-5 inches, guess I will not know till I mock it up...

8. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

anybody with Ford power....

9. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

A flattie is FORD power!

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Not meaning to sound like a wiseass, (or Chevy lover!) but this was the reason so many 'short engine bay' Fords ('33-'36) got SBCs installed. (seemed to fit 'looser' than flatheads)

I wrestled with my nephew on the length issue of a SBF installation in his '35 pickup.
    Cut the firewall, performed surgery on the 'X' member, set the 289 in.
    Sat 6 foot nephew inside...Nephew taught me all the new swear words, in less than 30 seconds.
    Welded firewall back in, installed 283 Chev.
    Prologue: Cab was still tight, nephew was crimped from ass to ankle. Drove truck from San Jose to Bonneville, with a bud near his height...Round trip, said they stayed all week just to put off the trip back home!:D

falcongeorge likes this.
  11. Dementionaly the sbc is about the same as a flat. coupled with the reliability, cheap performance options, goes back to the mid 50's. I put fords in anyway. It's the right thing to do in my opinion.

Travis T likes this.
  12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Heres one way, FWIW...
    IMG_20150926_0004.jpg

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Not really HAMB friendly, but the car it was in was beautiful!
    IMG_20150926_0005.jpg