Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBF in a 32 Header Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BELLM, Jan 2, 2006.

1. BELLM

BELLM

Putting a 289 Ford in a full fendered 32 Ford with Vega cross steering. I want to use a stock starter. All the short blockhuggers I see require using an aftermarket small starter. Anyone have any ideas about what headers I can use with a stock starter? Don't have to be blockhuggers. Thanks!

2. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Maybe the solution is to use a later model stock starter. HO Mustangs in the late 80s/early 90s went to a very compact starter that bolts on in place of the older style. It is a gear-reduction type, and not too expensive. I got mine from the local auto-electric rebuilder.

3. I am using Sanderson FF1`s in my 32. Lots of clearance. PM for pictures. HB32

4. chopndrop

chopndrop

Tri-y's made for early mustangs actually hug the block pretty close and work with the stock starter.

5. BELLM

BELLM

I wish I had a set of the early tri y headers. Had a 66 Mustang fastback that had the hipo engine, Bet I couldn't afford them if I could find them.

HB32 sent you a PM.

6. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Check the Mustang magazines for some vendors. I've seen them advertised lately for less than $150 a set for the Shelby-style tri-Y headers.

7. chopndrop

chopndrop

Got mine new on ebay for $130 shipped from some mustang place.

8. born2late

born2late

Will that late model gear reduction starter work with the older 289 flexplate or flyweel? If memory serves me, the old ones are 157 tooth (289) and the new ones are 164 toothg (302). Does it matter? Could you change the drive gear on the little starter to the early gear? Does it even matter? I have shorties and the early starter mocked up now. It fits but I would have to pull the header loose to change the starter. That might suck in the dark!

9. chopndrop

chopndrop

I'm pretty sure the starters will all interchange, as far as 157 or 164 tooth, the bellhousing just positions the starter differently. On a related note, if you use the tri-y's, you might want to look into some sort of heat shield for the starter. 2 weeks after I installed my tri-y's my starter gave up, I imagine from the heat. I got a heat wrap on the starter now. The starter still drops out the bottom with the headers on

10. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

born2late, not sure. I think the starter mounting is determined by the bell housing, and that the starters are the same. My old setup uses a 157 tooth flexplate and small bell C4, and the starter seems the same as the setup for the larger flexplate used with the AOD. Please note that I said SEEMS......

I am sure someone smarter than me knows this answer........ How about it guys?

11. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

Hey Eddie! HAPPY BIRTHDAY Ya big lug!!! Thank you to you and Cindy Again for being such gracious hosts for the New Year skeet shoot! Couple o shots for ya!!! Our gracious hosts, Deuce w/ HAMB raffle SBF and last but not least, Hot chiks w/ guns. Stacked and packed!!!:eek:

Attached Files:

12. BELLM

BELLM

Thanks Fireball Dave! Yep, welcome to my redneck world, beer & guns!!:D

BTW there is about a gallon of beer in that little keg you left in my fridge. If I don't drink it first I will bring it to Thirsty Thursday.

Our ladys couldn't hit the clays but bet they could hit us.

13. Eddie, I have a set of 5.0 shorties you could try.