Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBF aluminum heads

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rocketsled59, Nov 18, 2017.

1. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

I'm shopping around for some aluminum heads to replace the pro comp190cc heads I have on my 393" Windsor now. I found CNC heads on racing junk but I've never heard of them nor can I find anything on the web about them. Applied performance engineering 205cc. Does anyone know about these? Any other recommendations? Afr and trick flow out of my price range. Want something that will make good power and be budget friendly. Was looking at victor Jr. But flow numbers are not too impressive for the price.

2. powrshftr

powrshftr

I would try the local classifieds for a used set of Vic jrs or Canfields that have been ported by a reputable shop,or a set of used AFR 205s or bigger.
    A used set of ported TFS high ports would be a real score.
    Or,if you haven't bought pistons yet,you could look for an old set of high port ex-pro stock Cleveland heads.They pop up from time to time on Yellow Bullet classifieds or racing junk,and they will make INSANE power.The price usually isn't too bad on them.
    I would hook you up if I had anything that fit the bill,but I sold off almost everything that wasn't actually on the car right now.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

rocketsled59 likes this.
  3. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Gota realize...

Outright maximum flow "numbers" do NOT necessarily make the best horse power.
    There's a lot more to look at than the "max" value.

Mike

4. Deuces

Deuces

Got a pair of twisted wedge heads on 352 ci Windsor build.... Those heads rock!! :)

loudbang likes this.

5. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Only seen one pair, 351Ws on a Bonneville '33 3w... burned flat in a garage fire... the heads were a grey puddle on the floor... Bonneville racing #1034.

53FordEffie likes this.
  6. southcross2631

southcross2631

I have this set of Pro Comp castings with all new Manley valves , solid roller springs, new retainers. Good studs and guide plates.
    Made 575 hp on the Southern Flyer Falcon . The were on a 357 cu. in . motor. They have been ported.
    A grand for the pair ,ready to bolt on. 20170502_0921391.jpg

Budget36 and FinnishFireball like this.
  7. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

You might want to check the classifieds here guys are always swapping heads: http://forums.corral.net/forums/windsor-engine-parts/ Also here: www.sbftech.com

8. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

W heads are good C heads are the answer for performance . May not be the look you are after , but C Heads will unleash the stallion under the hood

9. powrshftr

powrshftr

I realize that the valve only sees peak lift once per every time it opens,but sees the low/mid lift on the way up when the valve opens,and again when it closes.
    The point I was making,is that mediocre heads are not going to make great power.A set of TFS high ports would be great on this motor,whereas a pair or Edelbrock Performers would not be up to what he's going to need.

If the budget is really tight,those old heads from Gabe's Falcon might be a good way to go.They're already assembled with good parts,they're from a proven combination,and the price is nice.
    A lot of guys talk trash about the Pro Comp stuff,but these ones have already had all the detail work taken care of.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

rocketsled59 likes this.
  10. southcross2631

southcross2631

Hey Scott, thanks for the sales pitch. People have been balking on buying these heads because they are Pro Comp castings. I still may run them on my southeast gasser project. Right now I am looking at Dart Iron Eagle's because of the 50 lb. weight break along with the 200 lbs. for stack injection.

rocketsled59 and powrshftr like this.
  11. powrshftr

powrshftr

A shop that used to get tons of coverage in Engine Masters magazine for their head porting,and for many complete engine builds,used Pro Comp cores for the basis of their CNC "Airwolf" sbf heads,and I can tell you from personal experience,they are hot as heck.
    My little 368" motor made 621hp@ 7500rpm and 492lb/ft of torque with a moderate cam and compression,on a notoriously stingy dyno.
    That was with the "small" carburetors....;)

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. One thing to note - it isn't just the heads, castings and port work - but also the quality of the components. I hesitate on used heads unless I know dang good and well whose valves are in them - and what specific part numbers. The same goes with springs, retainers, etc.. One needs to really think about the application you'll be running and the quality of all the components - as you can easily buy a set of used heads and then need new guides, new valves, new springs . . . then a valve job . . . then you might as well have bought new heads. Lots of the cheaper heads - tend to have cheaper components - just the way it is.

13. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

Yeah. I had a built Cleveland in a 69 Torino years ago. Those heads are still serious performers even today.

14. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

Believe me the heads are tempting but I have pro comps now that I'm wanting to get away from.... So,What size are the runners and valves?

15. southcross2631

southcross2631

The valves are 2.05 -1.60. I can give you inch measurements , but not flow numbers because they have been ported. They have new Manley stainless valves. The part # is P3002-0601-0168 for the castings.